Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man clocked at 160 mph on motorcycle convicted of reckless driving
http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/124204

A North Carolina man who was clocked doing 160 mph on a motorcycle on Interstate 81 was sentenced to spend 12 months in jail and pay a $2,500 fine.

Twenty-year-old Kevin Michael Buorkan pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor counts of reckless driving in Botetourt County General District Court this morning. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors dropped one of the charges. Buorkan waived his right to a preliminary hearing on a felony charge of eluding police, and he immediately appealed the reckless driving conviction to circuit court.

Judge Louis Campbell levied the harshest sentence he could under the law. In addition to jail time and a fine, Buorkan will lose his license for six months.

“He’s the one they were saving the maximum for,” Campbell said.

Buorkan, who is from Asheville, N.C., was first spotted by state police around 9 p.m. on April 28. He was heading north on I-81 in Roanoke County on his 2003 Yamaha YZF600R when a trooper clocked him going more than 80 mph, according to court testimony. By the time another trooper spotted him near mile marker 151, he was going 160 mph. The second trooper caught up to him around mile 153, after Buorkan was slowed by traffic, police said. Buorkan went onto the right shoulder, then swerved across to the left lane and back again. He got off at exit 162 and wrecked after hitting some mud. He wasn’t injured, and he didn’t try to run, police said.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/124245

160 mph dash takes man to maximum sentence
A motorcyclist involved in a 28-mile chase through two counties was fined $2,500 and given a year in jail.
By Joe Kendall
981-3340

Motorcycle magazine Sport Rider lists the Yamaha YZF600R's top speed at 152 mph, but in April a North Carolina man pushed his bike past that benchmark in Botetourt County, state police say.

Kevin M. Buorkan was clocked at 160 mph at one point during a 28-mile chase on Interstate 81 that led state police through two counties.

On Friday, Buorkan was fined $2,500 and sentenced to a year in jail -- and he could face even more time after a grand jury hears his case.

Buorkan, a resident of Asheville, N.C., received the harshest sentence that speeding carries in Virginia.

"He's the one they were saving the maximum for," said Botetourt County General District Court Judge Louis Campbell.

The 20-year-old Buorkan was charged with misdemeanor counts of speeding and reckless driving and a felony count of eluding police. Buorkan pleaded no contest to both misdemeanors Friday morning, and in exchange prosecutors dropped the reckless driving charge.

The felony charge of eluding the police will go before a grand jury Aug. 6.

Buorkan first caught the attention of state troopers April 28 at 9 p.m. about two miles north of Dixie Caverns in Roanoke County. State trooper D.R. Lambert, who was working in Botetourt County that evening, testified that he was radioed by a trooper in Roanoke County who said he had clocked a motorcycle going more than 80 mph.

Within seconds of receiving word of the speeding motorcycle, Lambert saw Buorkan in his cruiser mirror. When Buorkan flew by, he was traveling at 160 mph, 95 mph over the posted limit, Lambert said.

Lambert said he was able to catch up with the motorcycle about two miles down the road, where Buorkan had encountered traffic.

As the trooper approached, Buorkan accelerated onto the right shoulder. He continued to swerve through traffic until he briefly left the interstate at exit 156. He drove straight through the exit and merged back onto I-81 for several miles, eventually disappearing from Lambert's view.

Buorkan was found minutes later by Botetourt County sheriff's deputies off exit 162, where he had crashed in a field of grass and thick mud.

Lambert said he spoke with Buorkan about the high speed of the chase. "I asked him a reason why he was traveling that fast," Lambert said, "and he said he was stupid."

Buorkan emerged without a scratch, but Botetourt County Deputy Commonwealth's Attorney John Alexander said that the potential for disaster was tremendous.

"It's amazing he wasn't just a grease spot on the highway," he said.

Though perhaps not a land speed record, Lambert said that 160 mph was much faster than any previous speeding violation he had encountered.

State police public relations manager Corinne Gellar said that Virginia does not keep records for the fastest speed recorded on a citation, but she did say that sports bikes were the primary culprits of speeding violations in excess of 100 mph.

Buorkan's defense attorney, Ronnie Clay, had no comment on the case.

Campbell has a reputation of being tough on speeding motorists. In 2001 he fined North Carolina resident Henry Anderson $500 and sentenced him to 19 days in jail for going 99 mph on U.S. 220.

Coincidentally, Clay, who used to be an assistant commonwealth's attorney in Botetourt County, was the prosecutor in Anderson's case.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'd say lesser jail time and a bigger fine would be more appropriate. At least the kid admitted he was being stupid. Like 60 days in jail and $10,000 fine. People who do drugs get out in 20-30 days with little fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would like to see 3 years without his license, forced defensive driving school, the bike get auctioned and the $2000.00 fine, (and no jail time.) It's harsh but he makes all of us look like reckless dingbats. :2cents:

·
Registered
265 Posts
JBaz said:
I'd say lesser jail time and a bigger fine would be more appropriate. At least the kid admitted he was being stupid. Like 60 days in jail and $10,000 fine. People who do drugs get out in 20-30 days with little fine.
I disagree. People who do drugs, put themselves in danger only. This idiot, could have killed other people on the road. Imagine if he would have hit a car with a child inside doing 160mph...

More jail time is definately deserved.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I don't feel sorry for the guy, but in all honestly, DWI's are a bigger problem then squids on bikes speeding. How many victims are killed from DWI? Now compare that with the number of victims killed from high speed motorcycle accidents NOT including the rider. DWI also includes drug usage and alcohol. NC country areas has a big meth problem and accidents happen all the time because of it. Not only that but our Hispanic population as grown exponentially and because of their culture/heritage, they are the accounting nearly 3x higher then any other race for DWI's and vehicular deaths.

The likely hood of the rider killing another motorist or pedestrian is considerably lower than a car. And most of the time, the only person getting hurt or killed are the riders.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
160mph- big deal

Let's be honest here- for those of you with bikes capable of 160+mph, how many of you HAVEN'T seen that (or more) speed?
Definitely not me. Guilty as charged!

I think the vast majority of sportbikers are going to top-end their bike at some time or another. The key is finding an appropriate place/time to do so. This guy obviously chose poorly.

·
Registered
265 Posts
JBaz said:
I don't feel sorry for the guy, but in all honestly, DWI's are a bigger problem then squids on bikes speeding. How many victims are killed from DWI? Now compare that with the number of victims killed from high speed motorcycle accidents NOT including the rider. DWI also includes drug usage and alcohol. NC country areas has a big meth problem and accidents happen all the time because of it. Not only that but our Hispanic population as grown exponentially and because of their culture/heritage, they are thaccounting nearly 3x higher then any other race for DWI's and vehicular deaths.
Your first comment was about people doing drugs, not DWIs. Doing drugs endanger that person ONLY. But I'll comment on DWIs as well. DWI includes drugs and alcohol, yes, but you can only use the drug incidents to prove your point so you can't include the alcohol figures.

First, it's about the frequency to compare the 2. Drug incidents of DWI are a bigger problem because of frequency. Obviously DWIs are more frequent than people doing 160mph+ down an interstate on a sportbike. Make the figures the same in frequency for both and I'm sure the deaths of uninvolved parties would be closer to equal. It's all in frequency, not in the seriousness of it.

For instance, let's say 100 DWIs are done in a month but only 1 sportbike incident. One could assume logically that the DWIs would have caused more victim deaths. But, change it to 100 DWIs and 100 160mph+ sportbike incidents down interstates and while the number of DWI victim deaths would remain unchanged, you have a lot more people die by idiots on bikes.

Just because one is more of a problem because it happens more often, doesn't mean the other is any less of an offense. That's like saying more people die in DWI related crimes than first degree murder so murder should carry a lesser sentence. 1st degree murder is still that, murder.

The likely hood of the rider killing another motorist or pedestrian is considerably lower than a car. And most of the time, the only person getting hurt or killed are the riders.
So, by that logic, it's because he's on a bike as well that it shouldn't be punished as much? If he was in a cage, he should get the larger jail time? Since when did the mode of transportation dictate endangering someone else's life? And even if it is a "lesser" chance with a bike, it's still a chance to end someone else's life that didn't ask for it.

This kid was being reckless. He was doing 160mph on an interstate with other people around. Hell yes he deserves the jail time. The fact he was on a bike doesn't make a difference. Cage, bike, truck, SUV, DWIs are a bigger problem...doesn't matter. Someone else could have died.

Not doing any kind of argument, and I see what point you're trying to make but I 100% do not agree with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
An 03 YZF600 doing a radared 160mph, I didn't think that this bike was able to do that?

Top speed on that bike I thought was about 150mph -ish:dunno:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Vipes said:
I disagree. People who do drugs, put themselves in danger only.
Where do drungs (cocaine) come from? Columbia? How is columbia ran.... Considering the government is not up to par, its run (partially ) by drug lords.... who get their funding from..... users.

When the drug lords kill people, or rape people.... This violence is then drawn back to the people funding this practise.... Users.

Just because we cant see it happening in this country does not mean its not happening at all......

·
Registered
265 Posts
WSU Tony said:
Where do drungs (cocaine) come from? Columbia? How is columbia ran.... Considering the government is not up to par, its run (partially ) by drug lords.... who get their funding from..... users.

When the drug lords kill people, or rape people.... This violence is then drawn back to the people funding this practise.... Users.

Just because we cant see it happening in this country does not mean its not happening at all......
Well, now we're getting extremely technical and loosing the original point. Yes, the drug money goes all the way up the chain sometimes. Buying pot from a dealer on the street corner doesn't go to raping or murdering drug lords. In any case, the original point was the jail time this idiot should be serving, not about drug lords and the lack of drug awareness.

:topic:

Drawing that far of a line skews the original point of JBaz's argument that he should serve less time than if he used drugs.

The time he should serve in jail was based on whether he was endangering people's lives on the road or doing drugs and has nothing to do with drugs lords.

Basic line, this kid could have killed someone on the road. If he was sitting at home, popping prescription narcotics without a prescription, he's hurting himself. And buying those, usually comes from someone in the city, making money for themselves. Not a drug lord from Columbia. You've been watching too many movies. :laughing:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C.A.R.B. said:
An 03 YZF600 doing a radared 160mph, I didn't think that this bike was able to do that?

Top speed on that bike I thought was about 150mph -ish:dunno:
I actually pulled this off a yzf thundercat forum. The debate over there is about exactly this point. Will THAT bike do 160. All say no. I've had mine at 150 (squid i know). No one has had theirs more than a little past 150. I think the cop was full of shit.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I totally agree with you vipes, to a degree. It's stupid and reckless. I don't feel one ounce of sympathy towards the squid and I feel if he went that fast and wrecked, he's lucky he didn't die or get seriously injured. What I'm getting at is that young people can get the point across in different means. Throwing all offenders in jail is not always the answer to a growing problem. Throwing druggies in jail will not fix their habits and rarely deters them from getting high again. There are programs out there that helps teens and young people to break the mold and get away from that kind of involvement.

There are programs that help drug addicts attend detox facilities and they have been highly successful in the past few years, but the only problem is that there isn't enough funding to support the programs. It's not a quick fix, its a solution to prevent people from doing drugs again and to become productive members of society.

The traffic situation in America has become a full blown war in it's own right. War on drugs? War on Terror? Think again, War on traffic is a bigger threat apparently to local officials. Leaders and officials believe that crackdowns will have a great affect on citizens that tend to bend the law. Sure, sounds like a good thing, but it's not, at least the way they are running things.

Sure there's driving school programs and what not out there, but they are almost as worthless as eating a mint for lunch. They teach no core values or help to remove the problem. And I want to see more Community Hours for "punishment". I know I've asked that question to a lot of people if they had a choice to work 125 hours of community service to have a traffic ticket drop, they'd volunteer out of their asses to do it. This will help benefit the community and make people feel good about themselves. You'd be creating networking and community bonding.

Although, there are people who wouldn't want to do that, but for the most part, citizens are are generally law-abiding people are getting reamed in the asses because of the few extremes on the bell curve. They are skewing all of the punishments because government doesn't want to have a roadblock when sentencing comes.

I just think government has gotten too hard on normal people.

Oh, at the reference between DWI, drug users, and squids going fast on public road are in the terms of the number of incidents. DWI is a bigger problem because of the fact that it happens a lot more. There aren't a lot of sportbikers on the road going 160+ compared to cagers that have been drinking. I address this is because almost every law official believes that motorcycles speeding are their #1 top priority to address and crack down on. You barely hear shit on TV or read news reports about DWI wrecks unless someone was killed now days. A motorcycle going 160+ gets national attention... I don't see any DWI wrecks that happen to Cali here.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think you missed what I was saying, man. Any offender who's dumb enough to do 160mph on an interstate deserves jail time. And a good amount of it because it's puts other people in harm. I never said throwing all offenders in jail is a fix either. You made the comment that people doing drugs get less jail time and that's the reason this kid should get a lesser sentence. I don't agree. In all honesty, comparing the 2, drug users and this incident, are apples to oranges.

Oh, at the reference between DWI, drug users, and squids going fast on public road are in the terms of the number of incidents. DWI is a bigger problem because of the fact that it happens a lot more. There aren't a lot of sportbikers on the road going 160+ compared to cagers that have been drinking. I address this is because almost every law official believes that motorcycles speeding are their #1 top priority to address and crack down on. You barely hear shit on TV or read news reports about DWI wrecks unless someone was killed now days. A motorcycle going 160+ gets national attention... I don't see any DWI wrecks that happen to Cali here.
This is basically what I said to you when I disagreed with you earlier. I don't think you read my post, man. Here's what I wrote defending my reasoning why this guy should get a good chuck of jail time.

First, it's about the frequency to compare the 2. Drug incidents of DWI are a bigger problem because of frequency. Obviously DWIs are more frequent than people doing 160mph+ down an interstate on a sportbike. Make the figures the same in frequency for both and I'm sure the deaths of uninvolved parties would be closer to equal. It's all in frequency, not in the seriousness of it.

For instance, let's say 100 DWIs are done in a month but only 1 sportbike incident. One could assume logically that the DWIs would have caused more victim deaths. But, change it to 100 DWIs and 100 160mph+ sportbike incidents down interstates and while the number of DWI victim deaths would remain unchanged, you have a lot more people die by idiots on bikes.

Just because one is more of a problem because it happens more often, doesn't mean the other is any less of an offense. That's like saying more people die in DWI related crimes than first degree murder so murder should carry a lesser sentence. 1st degree murder is still that, murder.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Tippmann said:
I actually pulled this off a yzf thundercat forum. The debate over there is about exactly this point. Will THAT bike do 160. All say no. I've had mine at 150 (squid i know). No one has had theirs more than a little past 150. I think the cop was full of shit.
I would think that the depth of trouble this guy was in he'd have a lawyer who should've looked at this angle and argued the charge was wrong b/c of its impossible attainment. I'm with you (and apparently the thundercats) that he probably should've gotten off from an erroneous ticket.

I have no statement on his guilt or deserving punishment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
haha, I was gonna say; that bike doesn't go that fast! Either a bad radar gun or some mods...most likely sprockets? who cares, the kid is going down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have all gone fast on our sport bikes, 160 thats pussing it, but what he got is crazy. Jail for speeding, come on, Jail should be for killers, etc not for this. And if there werent any other cars around him, close to open HIGHWAY, i dont seem the big deal, im not saying its right but u get the point

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd knew this would get crazy...mob "kick him while he's down" mentality here, if this guy was any of you you'd cry foul to some degree.

I beg to differ about DWI or drug users only put themselves at risk, that isn't true. A person in a ill state of mind has the same potential to hurt someone else as does a speeding motorist. A speeding motorist traveling down an empty highway can only hurt themselves but put them in traffic and they start posing a risk to others although them actually hurting someone else is not guaranteed. Same with a drug user, if they start trippin and think someone is trying to kill them they wouldn't be able hurt someone else until others are in their presence.

The reckless driving is a more serious offense than the speeding. It's the careless maneuvering through traffic that really puts others at risk not the speeding.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think the sentencing in more of the fact that he was evading police and not for the speeding.

I mean if the kid admits he was in the wrong and being stupid, why throw him in jail for the max? At least he has some remorse and appreciates the seriousness of his situation. 30-90 days in jail, $10k fine, 1-3year license suspension and 125+ hours of community service would be appropriate.

I'm just mad at judges and their horrible antics of trying to make examples out of people. yes, we get it, its wrong and bad. It's like that 17 year old kid who was sentenced to 10 years to jail because he had oral sex with a 15 year, his gf who consented! They only do it to get public attention. Shock & Awe public displays.

·
Registered
265 Posts
pokerchris00 said:
We have all gone fast on our sport bikes, 160 thats pussing it, but what he got is crazy. Jail for speeding, come on, Jail should be for killers, etc not for this. And if there werent any other cars around him, close to open HIGHWAY, i dont seem the big deal, im not saying its right but u get the point
He didn't get jail for speeding alone... Do you guys not know the difference in traffic laws? He got jail time for reckless driving, speeding, and fleeing to elude. That's a lot more than just speeding and one of those is a felony, folks.

Let me explain something to you guys, speeding is a mere traffic citation under most circumstances. You get a ticket and that's it. Reckless driving however, is an actual chargeable crime. Big difference between the 2. And the fleeing to elude(as we call it in FL) is even worse.

§ 20‑140. Reckless driving.

(a) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others shall be guilty of reckless driving.

(b) Any person who drives any vehicle upon a highway or any public vehicular area without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property shall be guilty of reckless driving.

(c) Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 435, s. 23.

(d) Reckless driving as defined in subsections (a) and (b) is a Class 2 misdemeanor.

(e) Repealed by Session Laws 1983, c. 435, s. 23.

(f) A person is guilty of the Class 2 misdemeanor of reckless driving if the person drives a commercial motor vehicle carrying a load that is subject to the permit requirements of G.S. 20‑119 upon a highway or any public vehicular area either:

(1) Carelessly and heedlessly in willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others; or

(2) Without due caution and circumspection and at a speed or in a manner so as to endanger or be likely to endanger any person or property. (1937, c. 407, s. 102; 1957, c. 1368, s. 1; 1959, c. 1264, s. 8; 1973, c. 1330, s. 3; 1979, c. 903, ss. 7, 8; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 466, s. 7; c. 747, s. 66; 1983, c. 435, s. 23; 1985, c. 764, s. 28; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 852, s. 17; 1993, c. 539, s. 365; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2000‑109, s. 7(b).)

Catback, I would hope none of us wouldn't be that stupid to pull this stuff. And if anyone was, they'd have no right to gripe.

JBaz, this wasn't a kid, man. He was a 20 year old adult. A 20 year old who pulled some crazy stuff on a populated interstate and broke more than one law. And yea, his biggest hit was the elude charge.

This idiot got nailed with 3 total counts of criminal offenses, 2 misdemeanors and 1 *FELONY*, and you guys are saying 12 months is too much? You guys are nuts. He's lucky if he doesn't get slapped with more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts