Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any riders here actually carry a gun with them when they ride. The TRUTH now. No macho stuff please. What kind and how do you store it?

I've sport-toured before on my ZX11, trips that sometimes lasted a few days. Being alone in the middle of nowhere, I felt much safer with a loaded .38 snubnose. I didn't really care too much about stopping power. I just wanted something I can fall back on in case things got really bad(it never did). I carried it in my tailbag's small pocket. A couple of times I got really sleepy during a long trip, so I'd pull over to some forrested area or a rest area, find a quiet bench and take a quick nap. I was usually alone in those areas so I'd keep my bag right there in case I needed to whip out the .38. Some folks will find this a bit paranoid(afterall, I wasn't in some 3rd world country), but seriously, I just felt better having my "friend" on stand by.

BTW, not once did I have the desire to pull out the gun to "right things" with other drivers while I was out on the road. Except for a couple of incidents near home, I hardly ever get angry at other motorists around me when I'm out touring on my bike. They just rarely got in my way. And when they did, I'd simply roll that throttle and go. No anger build up whatsoever. Anyway, I only bring my gun when on tour, not on by daily commute, nor my daylong sport rides.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have a gun at home but would never even consider taking it with me on a ride. The chances of the gun being used in a positive way are astronomically low. I don't have any desire to take away your right to carry, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I've done it a couple of times. Carried in my tank bag. Usually not needed on the bike but you can bet, when I'm traveling with the bike(s) on the trailer, that it is in my truck with me. I'm not telling where though. :)

BTW, Tristan I don't carry the gun to be used in a positive way. If someone attacks me then it is definitely a negative thing. The odds of that are astronomically low. Killing is not positive. Except those Iraqi bastards. ;)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have guns and I have a bike, but so far I haven't had them together. If concealed carry becomes an option in Ohio then I will probably go for it.

On the positive side, my usual riding buddy is a cop, so he is required to carry. In fact, his fellow officers in the department have nicknamed him Tackleberry.<---think Police Academy Movies :)

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I like them both and have them both (Guns and bikes) but I have'nt felt it necessary to carry on the bike. I do carry on car trips. Whenever I go to Vegas, its fun to pull off on some road in the desert and shoot some bushes -its actually legal to do so out there! go figure

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not to seem like a militant or anything, but I always carry my little GLOCK 27 (.40 S&W) with me. I have sewn a nylon holster in my tank bag that holds it quite nicely. I have found this to be my favorite "bike gun" due to is small size and weight, and if ever needed, it has enough stopping power to end most confrontations. This is definately not an option for everyone however. I have just gotten used to being armed all the time due to my job, so I continue when on my bike. Like you Rogue_Biker, I have never had the desire to pull out my weapon on anyone. That should be the last thing anyone would want to do. No matter the circumstances, if you shoot another human being, you are going to have major problems. You will probably be arrested, regardless of the situation. You will then need to hire an attorney and you won't be able to go cheap either, this is your freedom we're talking about! If you are not charged criminally, you will most likely have a wrongful death suit brought against you in civil court. You may get lucky and your attorney may be able to win, but his fees will be nothing to sneeze at. And if you lose, well.... In my opinion, you must look at the consequences of what could happen in an armed confrontation and decide if you are willing to accept those consequences in order to save your life or the life of someone you love.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know of a few people who carry a gun on their bikes. I myself, am not a gun person.

I have a question for those that do though. I understand how the guns function in a general sense, but not real specifically. Would there be any chance the safety could vibrate to the off position, since there is a lot of high ressoance vibration on some sportbikes? Also, how about effecting the gun, as far as wearing out the parts, it would seem the vibrations could wear out mechanical parts prematurely huh? Just random questions that popped in my head.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, we cant carry concealed in WI, BUT we can carry openly. This is legal in WI, so DONT CUT ME OFF!:) :)

Yes thats an Armalite AR-50 mounted in the fairing. Trigger and safety are handlebar mounted. All done with servos. This could explain why I dont get speeding tickets.:)

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Ummmmm

Do paintball guns count?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When I lived in VA and had my concealed permit, I would wear it (Taurus 9MM PT908) in my belt holster. Never needed it but before I had one I had an incident where it could of been needed (could of made a bad thing better or a bad thing worse, who knows now.). I usually carry when on road trips, but not lately since I am about to change careers and don't want to have to explain anything more than needed on a job app.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob Nance said:
Would there be any chance the safety could vibrate to the off position, since there is a lot of high ressoance vibration on some sportbikes? Also, how about effecting the gun, as far as wearing out the parts, it would seem the vibrations could wear out mechanical parts prematurely huh? Just random questions that popped in my head.
There are several types of safety mechanisms on handguns. The most common is a double-action mechanism. This is not really a safety in the normal sense but simply put, the gun's trigger is extremely heavy and has a very long travel. Thus, to fire the gun, the user must pull the trigger all the way back with considerable force. The hammer remains closed until the trigger is pulled. This ensures the gun is on "safe", but can be fired in a split second if need be. All revolvers use this "action" to fire. Most automatics also can use this action. You can drop the gun over a cliff and it won't fire accidentally.

The other safety mechanism is a simple lever that blocks the trigger from releasing the hammer. This is most common on rifles but is used in automatics as well. The hammer remains cocked but a rod physically blocks the trigger from releasing the hammer when the safety lever is in "Safe". It is possible to inadvertantly move the safety lever to "Fire" mode and all it would take is some pressure on the trigger to fire the gun. However, moving the safety to the "Fire" position must be done deliberately. Simply dropping the gun won't do it.

Suffice it to say, modern guns today don't go off on their own even when cocked and loaded. It takes a deliberate action from the handler to get it to fire, whether intentionally or not. Only in Hollywood do guns fire on their own when dropped.

If you keep your gun, whether it's an auto or revolver inside a bag or holster, the effect of motorcycle vibration on its parts is negligible. Certainly not even close to set it off or wear it out. Most guns out there can endure thousands of rounds of shooting without much wear, so motorcycle engine vibes won't affect it much.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kawboy said:
This is definately not an option for everyone however. I have just gotten used to being armed all the time due to my job, so I continue when on my bike. Like you Rogue_Biker, I have never had the desire to pull out my weapon on anyone. That should be the last thing anyone would want to do. No matter the circumstances, if you shoot another human being, you are going to have major problems.... In my opinion, you must look at the consequences of what could happen in an armed confrontation and decide if you are willing to accept those consequences in order to save your life or the life of someone you love.
Absolutely!

The use of deadly force is a serious business. It must only be used to counter a life threatening situation. Period. In the years that I've brought my gun on road trips, the only life threatening situation I've ever been in was with a bear in some National Forest while camping. Even then, the bear left after a few minutes. But like a good set of leathers, riders wear it in case the worst happens. When sport-touring, I bring my little handgun in case a different kind of worst thing happens. I believe in the saying, it's better to have it and never need it, rather than need it and not have it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ahh Rogue_Biker, we think alike! I like you, even though you're riding a Suzuki!! J/K he he, Let's see if anyone is paying attention. Be Safe.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i recently purchased my 1st handgun.. a pre-ban sigma .40. no saftey, double action only.

i dont carry it anywhere except to the range. i do keep a loaded clip in the case w/the gun under my bed (all adults in the house). however, when i get a concealed carry permit i will carry more often (but probably a smaller gun like a glock or p99). ill post specifics in another thread but as far as a gun for self defense ive only been in 1 situation where i needed it. all other self defense situations i handled physically due to years of martial arts/kickboxing.

i was thinking about making a magnetic holster to put on my tank.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kawboy said:
Ahh Rogue_Biker, we think alike! I like you, even though you're riding a Suzuki!! J/K he he, Let's see if anyone is paying attention. Be Safe.
LOL! :)

Not that I want you to like me better.....but I did have a ZX11 before I got the Busa. And the only reason I sold the ZX11(which BTW, I'm really sorry I did) was because the wife wouldn't let me have bike payments. Don't get me wrong, I love the Busa, but I'm really missing the ZX11 as my daily commuter & long distance sport tourer. The Busa ain't a LD tourer!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:

LOL! :)

Not that I want you to like me better.....but I did have a ZX11 before I got the Busa. And the only reason I sold the ZX11(which BTW, I'm really sorry I did) was because the wife wouldn't let me have bike payments. Don't get me wrong, I love the Busa, but I'm really missing the ZX11 as my daily commuter & long distance sport tourer. The Busa ain't a LD tourer!
Well.....A former Kawi rider is better than nothin! BTW, the Busa is a baaad machine bro! I hope you know I was just picking. Later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Carry? their perminent!

I carry. I have a license to do so. If you don't agree thats fine. My state allows it so I abide by the law.

Usually something small....kel-tec .32 8 shot in the jacket sleeve pocket just above my left wrist. Shouldn't need anything bigger! If So I stop and lift the seat and get the Larger of the 2 I'm carrying that day....glock...beretta....HK, just depends what mood I'm in that day.

I have alot of close family in law enforcement and when you're around well armed cops all the time you tend to go with the flow. All officers carry 2 weapons round here. I'm expected to do the same as well seeing as how I am licensed to.

To each his own though. If your not a gun person and I know it, you won't be aware I'm carrying!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts