Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know you guys have probably answered this question a million times but im about to get my first bike. dont tell me its too big for a first cuz i ride my friends '01 r6 and its comfortable for me. anyway, id like to know what you guys think of the two and im going to ask in the yamaha forum also. the yamaha homepage says the r6 has 130hp, how does this compare with the gsxr600? maybe thats hp to the crank, i dont know. please tell me what you think. thanks
dash

·
Registered
21 Posts
R6 vs. GSXR600

Hey dash, I think the R6 has 120 HP but Rear wheel HP is has only 99 vs. 101 HP for the Gixxer. I have an R6 and I love it, I also like the GSXR and don't think that performance wise the 2 are very different. I would go w/ what feels more comfortable for you, sit on both & see what you think. Personally I think the R6 is a better looking bike & thats why I bought it, so go w/ what you like better & I wouldn't bother getting caught up in specifics. Just my opinion so what ever you decide on getting good luck & happy riding.........

·
Registered
20 Posts
i have to agree with that comment, those bikes are to close to compare, it really does come down to what you like more, either way great choice in bikes :)
good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just boought a GSX-R600 and have ridden it all evening. I sat on all the 600's and tossed around which one to get for about 4 months. I know that is a long time but my waiting paid off in the form of a GREAT deal and an INCREDIBLE bike.

This is my first bike, too. I sat on the R6, the ZX-6R and the CBRF4i all in the same dealer. I found the R6 to be the most uncomfortable, while the CBR was the most comfortable. I then went and sat on the Gixxer. Felt great and I was surprised because I thought they were about the same seating position with the Gixxer's being more agressive.

Either way, I don't think you will regret your decision. All these bikes are so close to each other in performance, only the more experienced track guys would be able to differentiate.

All I can tell you is, the Gixxer was my favorite, looks wise, from day1. That was the one I went with in the end. At this early stage, I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with what the others have said. The 01 R6 has 96.7 bhp and the GSXR600 has 100.5 bhp only 3.8 hp difference (on the streets you won't be able to feel the difference). However, don't go for the numbers go and seat on the bikes you like and you will think/feel different. If you were going to be racing on the tracks then I would understand why you are looking at the numbers; however, if it is only for the streets, you won't feel the difference. Unless, you are an experience rider. I mean a lot of experience. (Going fast on a straight line is nothing everyone can that).

·
Registered
443 Posts
I heard...

r6 97.1hp
gsxr 103hp

·
Registered
4 Posts
1st off, what color did you get on your new gixxer? I love the blue and white color but i heard that the white wheels are very hard to keep clean. Is this true b/c the wheels are one thing that just sets off the whole apperance. Any reply would be appreciated

·
Registered
1 Posts
R6 or Gixxer 6

I can tell you this, I race bikes (Yamaha now) & I am really impressed with the over performance of the R6 & R1. I recently bought the R1 over the 6 just for that, more horses & better performance. The R6 in pre-production tests by Motorcyle Magazines & others (with pro riders) most thought the R6 was the better all around bike even out classing some 750's & 1000cc bikes. I know from experience that the R6 without professional tuning can be a little squirrly at times but if you take the time to learn the bike & your skills on it you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Keeping White Wheels clean

I thought about that when I bought my bike too. If you use Plexus Plastic Cleaner and Polish. and put the bike on a stand and just clean one spot at a time while spinning the wheel when it is up on the stand you will be fine. Another cleaner that I have bought, but hav enot used yet is S100. The directions say you have to put the stuff on, then rinse it off making sure you remove all of it. I found the Plexus easier to use and it keeps the white whell really white.

The more you keep cleaning it, the easier the grease from the chain that sprays onto the wheel, will come off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, thankx for the reply......... I was wondering if you had any experience with streetbikes b4 the purchase of your brand new 600. I have ridden atv's and dirtbikes all my life and think that with the MSF course and a few weekends on backroads and empty parking lots would do it. I'm not sure though, i think i've narrowed it down from the zx6r, to the gixxer.............. Please relpy if you can. Thanks alot

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had a 2001 r6 and now have a 2001 gsxr1000. I liked the r6 for some reason but it fealt twitchy around corners. The gsxr on the other hand feels alot nicer. I dont get the ass pucker thing on the gsxr that I got from getting to low on the r6. It is alot smoother. I think the gsxr is put together alot nicer also. All the plastics fit nicley unlike the r6. After awhile the r6 started getting all creeky and making all the misc noises. The gsxr has alot of pointless features that just show it was built with quality. For instance... It has the ability to leave the tail on with bike off in case of engergancy. It has a digital display showing the exact degree of the engine. Has a little spring in gas cap that locks the cap up when opening it. Has the helmate locks built into the tail instead of the tail seat. Again those are all pointless, but just show quality. Besides the pointless things all the 600's are about the same. Also what is nice about the gsxr is that it is fuel injected unlike the r6. Here is an exaple... My gsxr1000 feels smoother on the throttle then my r6. that is my 150hp bike is smoother on the throttle then my 95 some odd hp bike. Also the stock shocks on the gsxr are extremly nice. The r6 is known for shitty suspention. And unlike what everyone says about the gsxr having the hands down ass up position seating I have to disagree. I can sit strait up on the gsxr is I want. You cant on the r6 because the handle bars are lower then the seat. just my $19.99

·
Registered
5 Posts
Either way, I don't think you will regret your decision. All these bikes are so close to each other in performance, only the more experienced track guys would be able to differentiate.

This quote about says it all. I picked the Yamaha over the GSXR for 2 reasons. It was in stock at the dealership and I got it for $7000 where the Suzuki guy had to order one and wouldn't budge below $7600.

The differences for a street rider are minute and not worth mentioning. IMHO

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a 2001 r6 and now have a 2001 gsxr1000.
Hey Sage, I have the R1 & that would be a better comparison to your Gix1000 Than an R6, my R1 has a lot of the same features, digital speed & temp etc. the 600's are definately pretty equal when compared, but I think most people would agree that the R6 & Gix6 are too close to tell apart.

I have heard though (quite alot) that the R6 is a looser bike in the turns but overall handling was a 9 on the 10 scale. It was BOTY for 2 years.
:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
R1_RocketJockey said:
Hey Sage, I have the R1 & that would be a better comparison to your Gix1000 Than an R6, my R1 has a lot of the same features, digital speed & temp etc. the 600's are definately pretty equal when compared, but I think most people would agree that the R6 & Gix6 are too close to tell apart.
I have to agree, comparing the R6 to the liter Gixxer is kinda "whats the point?" On the track I think the R6 has the edge but thats my opinion but hell someone did ask. As far as the Sazook being better quality come talk to me when your gear box is in pieces. :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by RLJ3RD

On the track I think the R6 has the edge but thats my opinion but hell someone did ask. As far as the Sazook being better quality come talk to me when your gear box is in pieces.
I would definately agree on the point of gearboxes & quality, Yamaha & Honda aren't the 2 biggest bike manufacturers for no reason. One thing the Zuki lacks is high quality & durability. Don't get me wrong though the Gixxies are nice bikes & fast too, major hp's there, but I lean to Yami over Suckzuki when it comes to overall performance.:p

S

·
0 Posts
RLJ3RD said:

I have to agree, comparing the R6 to the liter Gixxer is kinda "whats the point?" On the track I think the R6 has the edge but thats my opinion but hell someone did ask. As far as the Sazook being better quality come talk to me when your gear box is in pieces. :cool:
I rode an Y2k R6 and Y2k GSXR600 on the track. True the nandling is equal, the engines are different, The suz makes no power down low. I also found myself missing a few shifts on the suz, resulting in a nice crunching sound :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
RLJ3RD said:

I was comparing overall quality on how it is built and how they feel. The gsxr600 and 1000 are exactly the same, except, bigger engine, coated shocks, and 3mm size differance in gas tank. Obviosly the 1000 is more powerful but I never said "The r6 is nice the the gsxr1000 has more power" OBVIOSLY! But after dissasembling the plastics on both bikes while doing minor mods I found the plastics for the gsxr are like 10 times for thought out and engineered. Everything comes togeth alot tighter and solid on the gsxr. The r6 goes together like shit and creeks around. Also when I had my the the mounting plate that holds up the front just snapped(peice of shit) and the head of the bike was bouncing around couse it wasnt attached anymore:eek: warranty fixed it though.

S

·
0 Posts
sagekiller666 said:

I was comparing overall quality on how it is built and how they feel. The gsxr600 and 1000 are exactly the same, except, bigger engine, coated shocks, and 3mm size differance in gas tank. Obviosly the 1000 is more powerful but I never said "The r6 is nice the the gsxr1000 has more power" OBVIOSLY! But after dissasembling the plastics on both bikes while doing minor mods I found the plastics for the gsxr are like 10 times for thought out and engineered. Everything comes togeth alot tighter and solid on the gsxr. The r6 goes together like shit and creeks around. Also when I had my the the mounting plate that holds up the front just snapped(peice of shit) and the head of the bike was bouncing around couse it wasnt attached anymore:eek: warranty fixed it though.
meybe the yahmaha wuz jist a bad lemon biek. eye knoe suzucki iz god but in yahmaha iz faster their. witch one beks do whelies best?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Squidwannabe said:

meybe the yahmaha wuz jist a bad lemon biek. eye knoe suzucki iz god but in yahmaha iz faster their. witch one beks do whelies best?
I get your point already, but i realy dont care.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts