Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just wanna know you people tell people they shouldn't get a GSXR 600 as first bike, becuz its too powerful of a bike and say get a smaller one but then go and recommend the SV650....which IMO has more power becuz of displacement...correct,lol can somone plz explain im confused
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,059 Posts
Tristan said:
GSXR has an inline 4 cylinder and about 100 HP
SV has a V-twin with about 65 HP
Ditto:D

As I've stated in other threads, with the same basic question...consider your...ablilty-riding style, and the fun factor. There are guys, and gals, that ride SV 650's..dang fast, in fact they kick the crap out of most 600's, and larger bikes, but they do get pulled on the striaghts. I ride a gixxer 600, and I would have No Problem owning a SV 650, they look good, even better with some after market parts. Also the 650, doesn't require high rev's to get it going, which contributes to the fun factor!! Course, then there is the looks of the bike to consider too:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why does inline 4 put out more then the v-twin(v-twin is 4 cyclinder still right) is it possible to make the 650 put out more, i mean come on theres no replacement for displacement, everyone knows that....so could it just be the better parts that make the GSXR putt out more power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
hey arron,

Vtwin is a TWIN therefore making a 2 cylinder. Inline 4 is 4 cylinder. inlines 4 make more power cause they can rev so much faster. In my magazines i have they did SV650 modifications. the SV is best bike for the buck. the money you will save by buying that over a 600 can be used to modify that SV and in some categories beat most of the 600's that come off the floor today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
Aaron2 said:
why does inline 4 put out more then the v-twin(v-twin is 4 cyclinder still right) is it possible to make the 650 put out more, i mean come on theres no replacement for displacement, everyone knows that....so could it just be the better parts that make the GSXR putt out more power?
V-twin is two cylinders and therefore can't put out the equivalent hp. As a reference, a liquid cooled 750cc twin should be able to put out close to the same hp numbers as a 600cc four cylinder(all else being equal). A 1000cc v-twin puts out about the same hp as a 750cc four cylinder(all else being equal). :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
RCjohn said:


V-twin is two cylinders and therefore can't put out the equivalent hp. As a reference, a liquid cooled 750cc twin should be able to put out close to the same hp numbers as a 600cc four cylinder(all else being equal). A 1000cc v-twin puts out about the same hp as a 750cc four cylinder(all else being equal). :)
Which is why Ducati can run the 996 in World Superbikes against ZX7RR's and GSXR 750's. incorrect info has been edited out (see attached image below, it's a schematic of an SV motor).

www.svrider.com is the best site you can view for info on the bike. I bought mine before I found the site, but all the mods I've done were found through the help of the site.

I've ridden a few bikes, and from my biased opinion, SV's are one of the best bikes available. They are fun to ride, and only demanding of the rider when the rider wants it. You can cruise, or you can rail on one. The bike likes it no matter what. If you want more info, you're welcome to pm me.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
elodello said:


SV's are one of the best bikes available. They are fun to ride, and only demanding of the rider when the rider wants it. You can cruise, or you can rail on one. The bike likes it no matter what.
and they are soooooo much easier to do wheelies on:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would also like to know whats the difference between the sv650 and the sv650s, heh thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
Aaron2 said:
i would also like to know whats the difference between the sv650 and the sv650s, heh thanx
The "S" model has a mini-fairing,racier foot peg position and lower handle bars. The "non"S is a "naked" more standard bike. Both share the same drive train.
Top end would go to the GSXR600 by a long ways. You can alway change gearing but this will effect performance in the accelleration department.
Also consider insurance rates here too!! The GSXR commands a much higher insurance premium than the SV does!!

JIM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Performance differences between twins and fours of comparable displacement has to do with the efficiency of filling and exhausting the cylinders, then using what you got, with the advantage going to the smaller cylinders. That's why, for all of their displacement, Harleys are pretty weak in the HP department. Also, don't confuse torque with horsepower. They are related but you can have big torque with minimal HP and big HP with minimal torque. A broad torque band, characteristic of twins, better suits the requirements of cornering, while big top speeds can only be accomplished with big HP. Obviously, suspension, weight, and aerodynamics are factors as well.

That is the encyclopedia version. There's a lot of detail to understand to see the whole picture clearly. A general rule of thumb, supported in the racing rules RCJohn mentioned, is that for equal HP, the twin will need about 25% more displacement. A more interesting statistic that John or others (Tristan?) could help with is lap times on tight tracks (without big HP straights). The lap time differences between the big bikes and smaller ones are surprisingly little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
elodello said:

Honda's RC51 is a V-4 meaning it has 4 cylinders, but instead of being parallel, they are two cylinders and tSV motor).
I think you meant the VFR.:) The RC-51 is a twin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Dad said:
A more interesting statistic that John or others (Tristan?) could help with is lap times on tight tracks (without big HP straights).
Hey, I tried to help the guy but lost interest right after "a v-twin is still 4 cyl. right?" I only have so much patience!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Tristan said:

... I only have so much patience!
That's what the doctor said when I asked why I couldn't get an appointment sooner.:D

English must be a tough second language.;) :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,474 Posts
Aaron2 said:
whats top speed on these bikes..can topseed be increased
Top speed can be increased to a certain point just by changing sprockets but that will only get you so far then things get really expensive from there. :)

Top speed of an SV is around 130-135mph.

Top speed of the Gixxer 750, RC-51, 929RR, R1, etc. is around 170-175mph.

Top speed of the 600cc bikes such as Yami R6, Honda F4i, etc. is around 165mph I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,698 Posts
Aaron2 said:
whats top speed on these bikes..can topseed be increased
Top speed on mine before all the mods done was around 130. With the big bore conversion, these bikes have been known to be as fast as a 748. But if you're really interested in an SV, ride it for at least 6 months bone stock, especially if you're new to riding.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top