Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in daily rider too

hello,

i'm looking at getting a sportbike soon and I am considering purchasing a yamaha R1 or a Suzuki Gsxr 750. I have been riding dirt bikes and atv's since i was 12 and I have riden a yzf-600 a couple of times and felt very comfortable with it. What do you think about the 2 bikes? Reliability, streetability, performance etc.? What 1/4 mile times should exepect stock? how much power do the engines make?

Any other bikes that i should be considering? I have $6000 to spend max thanks alot!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Both good bikes. The R1 will be a little more $ and the GSXR 750 will be a little more extreme in many respects. Depends what you are looking for. If you are big, go for the R1. :twofinger

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah buy anything but those.

You will hurt yourself something terrible starting out on either of these bikes. The street is not the dirt, the dirt is not the street. I don't care if you were born on a dirtbike, it's not the same. Yes you have more experience then some but not enough to own two of the baddest streetbikes out there.

Ian

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
M3Kev..I have to agree with Ian here, a yzf-600 has no where near the power of a R-1, or GSXR-750..As Ian mentioned, the street is a whole different ball game, one wrong move, could cost you yur life..I would suggest getting someting along the lines of an older yzf-600, or a older gixxer 600, and EVEN these bikes will get yur attention when ya pin the throttle..and you'll learn much faster on a smaller bike..i.e. how to stay with the riders on the R-1's or the bigger 750's..

I/we have seen to many new street riders that start on to big of bike, it's to bad they aren't around any longer to offer there advice...if this sounds harsh, it is, but it is the truth..

Use some comon sense, you can always move up to a bigger bike later, if you need/want to..good luck, and let us know what ya get...:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am going to disagree with starting out with a small bike and working your way up. Buy what you want. Learn on that bike. Just don't think you are going to be Nicky Hayden and/or Evil Kneivel. But when yudo learn how to ride you will buy a 600. They are the most fun to turn with. My advice is buy wht you want and larn on that. Learn at your own pace and have fun. Besides if you buy a 600 and you want a 1000, you will always regret not buying what you want.

Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts