Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was wondering what i could do to my gsxr 600 to make it faster. My friend just got an r1 and im sick of being completely destroyed. I just want it to be a bit quicker. Also will having a bike lowered make it harder to wheelie? thanxx

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Take your friend to the track or a road full of bends. Or teach yourself how to improve on drag launches, and then take it to the dragging tracks. Work on suspension tune ups. Last option, get a 1000cc bike. It's pointless spending loads of money to make your 600 faster, as you can pick a new bike for that price. And even with the typical exhaust change or power comander set up, it will not touch R1. Putting nitrous on a 600 is also pointless IMO.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You should be able to ride circles around your buddy's R1. Take it to the twisties and you'll completely destroy him.

Anybody can get on a liter bike and go fast in a straight line. It takes a real rider to slither through a twisty canyon stretch, or work the bends on a race track.

If it means that much to ya, buy a gixxer 750. They'll hang in with a liter bike in the straights and out handle them in the corners.

:thumb:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The sportbikes are highly tuned NOW. It is not like in the 50s or 70s when we breathed on them for hours to gain that extra 1 hp. Put the saved money into tyres, sprockets, chains, oil, fuel & good safe riding gear from top to bottom.

·
Registered
295 Posts
lol, i have a ford focus but want to keep up with my buddy's porshe what should i do??

go buy a liter bike dude, or as mentioned go to some twisties.

and yes lowering the bike will make it harder to wheelie, and whill effect handing (possibly negatively, possibly positively) you would have to do some research. mine is lowered about 1.5 to 2 inches and i can gun it through all gears with no worries, in first it will lift maybe an inch

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got smoked at the track by 600's on my GSXR 1000 K5. I have since sold it and bought an 04 600RR and am now doing the smoking instead of being smoked. You won't beat a liter bike in a straight line so decide what you want: fast in the twisties or straight line fast. The main thing is just have fun but if being slower straight line means less fun, get a ZZR 14 and kick everyone's butt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thankx for the replies guys. I was kinda having buyers remorse after purchasing my 600 and then having one of my good friends get stoked and buying a 1000. I never go in a straight line fast except on the highway and even then i dont go full out on my 600. I kinda just wanted a real zippy bike for around town and such with the occasional wheelie at lights. Thing is my 600 has an extreamly hard time wheeling unless i clutch it up in first. I cant even do it in second. Maybe sumone could reccomend me a good sprocket setup for quick acceleration/ wheelies as i dont go more than 120 too often. thankx yall.

·
Registered
462 Posts
doitcalistyle81 said:
...wheelie at lights....
Bad idea right there. If you're gonna go stunt, go do it in a safe area, not people-filled intersections. I've heard all modern 600s are plenty zippy, and have too much unusable power for the street as it is. I couldn't reccomend you any sprocket setups though, for I have yet to get my own 600 :). Wichever way you decide to go, good luck and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
wow .... go wheelie at lights dude its fun yay! and if you think a 600 isnt enough to zip around town your an idiot. end/lock thread

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
You do realize that pretty much any modern 600cc+ bike can do and hold wheelies at 100+mph stock. My friend's 03 gixxer 600 can do 3rd gear stand up wheelies at 75. It depends on your skill. If you want a more wheelie machine, do a -1/+2 sprocket conversion on your bike. You don't need to replace the chain.

Btw, 600RR's stock, of what I've heard, can do 3rd and 4th gear standup wheelies at 120.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
k let me clarify sumthing. I live in an extreamely rural part of florida where u see a car once ever 45 mins if your lucky. I dont plan on stunting in the middle of a busy intersection. So -1/+2 u think will do it? ALso im interested in fluch mounted lights/ fendor eliminator kit for my bike but i cant find one in my year?? anywayif sumone could point me in the right direction it would be much appretiated. ride on~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
check out vortex sprockets. They usually have sets they sell for 100ish. It's best to start off with a -1/+2 for learning, then later on bump it to +4/5 or +9. Also, invest in a crash cage. That's about 300 pre-made from anyplace.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does anyone know where i can buy this rear brake light for an 03' gixxer 600? or maybe another one that looks decent as the stock one blows. Im also looking for a fendor eliminator kit and front flush turn signals. any help is appretiated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
yeah thats right, the diamond shaped led tail light. But still. the tail section of the 01-03 gixxer 600's are much different then the 04-05 gixxer 600's. And the 01-03 don't have LED tail lights.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
He has the '03, and as Jbaz said, they don't have the LEDs, so you'll have to dig up some aftermarkets. I do agree, the stock tail and tailight on 01-03 gsxr600 are really ugly, and they stick out like sore thumb when the rear brake light comes on. There is a Euro/GP stlye kit for it that comes with undertail hugger, blends in nicely.

For reference from Hotbodies racing:

http://hotbodiesracing.com/pop_images_single/gsxr_02_ut_sb_pop_2.jpg

This seems to be one of the common conversions out there and cleans up nicely at the cost of visibility.

As oppose to the stocker:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts