Sportbike World banner

GSX-R 1000

7K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  TireFryer30th 
#1 ·
Did you all see that Motorcycle Online got an initial ride on the gixxer 1000?!?! It's amazing from what they say. They say it has near 150 rwhp! Suzuki has their stuff together is all I can say. Most powerful 600 this year, new bike and the most powerful open classer, and of course the 750.

You can check it out at MO's site.

http://www.motorcycle.com

Looks like there is going to be a new king, for this year at least. Suzuki never ceases to amaze me with their step-it-up stance towards their bikes.

#2 ·
Yep, the Gixxer will be the bad boy on the block next year, and #1 on every squid's wish list. Personally, I can't wait to see how it handles, and how well/controllably it can put all that power to the ground. 150 rwhp is absolutely useless if the rider has to be timid with the throttle for fear of highsides or slides on corner exits. I am definitely gonna have to try that one out, though.

#4 ·
I agree, the new gixxer is going to kick some butt next year. But I am with Rossco, I wonder how controllable it will be. I know I like my 98ZX9R over the 99ZX9R just because the 99 is so touchy on the throttle response. But a good jetting setup will help control the 99ZX9R and I hope for the same with the gixxer. We shall see...

G
#5 ·
Here's the direct link to the article:
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcsuz/01gsxr1000.html

And I like this statement from Motorcycle.com's e-mail announcement for the article:

Some bikes were meant for the street, and some were meant for the track. The 2001 Suzuki GSX-R1000 was, is, and will always be, meant for the track. Don't make any bones about it, you could use it on the street. The same way, we suppose, you could also use an AH-64 Apache gunship to hunt
rabbits.

#6 ·
Comparisons

Boy oh boy!!!
This is sure gonna set the stage for some interesting comparison testing!!
Picture this: a GSXR1000 vs R1 vs CBR929 vs ZX9R.
Then for fun toss in a Ducati996 and/or an RC51,and ??
Yup,sure will be an interesting year to watch and read about these bad boys!!:D
Jim

[Edited by katana600 on 12-13-2000 at 10:45 PM]

#12 ·
Beautiful bike. God awful power. Does it belong on the street? Only in to knowing hands of someone like myself. Keep in mind for all you potential buyers though…..you want to ache after 60 miles of riding this is the bike to have. It’s as small as a RC51..a tooth pick so to speak. This is going to be the bike to beat…Suzukis got another winner. Cant wait to see what they got for 2002.

#14 ·
So each of the big four have now updated their top gun except for Kawasaki. They've made some minor revisions along the way but the other three have come with all new models. You would think Kawasaki will have to respond. Since their bread and butter has always been motors it could be interesting to see what they come up with.

As far as the new gixxer goes...150rwhp, what can you say? I would expect it to be peaky like the 750 and 600 but I read somewhere that the motor has a relatively long stroke so maybe it will have some nice torque?

#16 ·
Yeah, motorcycle.com is blocked from work (hey, I can get to sportbikeworld though) so I couldn't read the article. However, I can get to the other one (amasuperbike.com) so I just finished reading it. It certainly looks like the bar has been raised. I do have mixed emotions though. I am just hoping that the voluntary top speed limit will be enough to keep the do-gooder legistlators at bay. Don't get me wrong, I love to see monsters like these becoming available. I just wish they had an idiot test to give potential buyers to screen squids. The few bad apples are trying to ruin it for the rest of us. And you can believe that all of them think they need this new wonder bike because it will make them wheelie better.:confused: Now they will be able to keep up with their friends because they can play catch up on the straights.:(

#17 ·
Torque

The latest info I heard was 78 - 80 foot pounds of torque!

Managing the power is key, although both reports say the fuel injection on the 1000 is dialed in near perfectly, that is good news.

Black & Siver on order since Nov. 7th, I am having trouble sleeping at night, I don't think these reports are helping, but it is good to know that our expectations were not to high?

eb

#18 ·
Nice bike. I cant wait to pick up a barely used 929 for a steal when someone has to have the new kid on the block! :D

Im taking bets on how many recalls the bike will have in its first year on the streets... How many say 1-2? 3-4? 5-6? 7-or over? :rolleyes: :D

[Edited by riverrunner_2000 on 12-14-2000 at 06:03 PM]

#22 ·
I'm not gonna guess how many recalls we'll see, however, me and my friends have been guessing at what percentage of these bike will make it through the year in one piece.

I figure about 20 % will end up crashed, my bud figures only 10.

#23 ·
oldgixer said:
I'm not gonna guess how many recalls we'll see, however, me and my friends have been guessing at what percentage of these bike will make it through the year in one piece.

I figure about 20 % will end up crashed, my bud figures only 10.
Unfortunately, I think higher... much higher. I would have to check but I heard some stats on R-1's that, as I recall, were downright depressing. As much as I hate regulation of anything, I am not so sure that some kind of progressive license like some of the European countries have might not be beneficial. A certain amount of experience to qualify for progressively larger bikes. I think that actually makes more sense than building it and then trying to restrict it, pretending that there is some "responsible" industry self-regulation going on, which seems to be the current trend. Restricted to 186 MPH?!... who are they shittin' with that? The majority of accidents on these will be between 25 and 80 MPH, overpowering a corner, and flips doing wheelies, two situations that only experience will help. And the riders who do this will probably have under 20,000 miles experience. Even dumb people should be given a chance. Just my thoughts.

#24 ·
The '00 Gixxer 750s were dropping like flies at Deal's Gap last year so I would expect the 1000s to be much higher than 10%. The only thing that will prevent it is that usually it's the older guys that will buy them and that usually means a little more self control.

I will add that the 929s were dropping pretty fast too. The R1s always have. That should indicate the future demise of the Gixxer1000. :(

#25 ·
I figure that there are not many riders out there, even the "experienced" ones, that are ready to handle 145+ rwhp (let's be honest, 95% of the riders on the street can't handle the 130 rwhp of a 929 or an R1). Unfortunately, most of the Gixxer 1000s are going to end up in the hands of posers, and squids who need the latest, fastest, most bad assed bike there is, and they are going to crash those suckers like there is no tomorrow, and for more than a few of them there will be no tomorrow. :(

#26 ·
I think that the new bike sounds great. I'm afraid to admit it, but it sounds like too much bike for me. My R1 is already more than I can handle. I obviously haven't gotten to see a new gsxr up close, but I don't really care for the looks of them. I'm not saying that they are ugly or anything. I'm just saying that it doesn't do it for me like the R1 does. Hmmm, maybe in the next few years suzuki will have proven their newfound power and add some style points to boot. In the meantime, I'll continue working on my riding abilities. Who knows, I could own one too someday cause my wife keeps bugging me about stepping up and riding the R1. No matter what happens, I couldn't bring myself to getting rid of the R1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.