Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys whats up. I have been lurking around here for a while and haven't heard to much about GS500s. I'm in the market for my first bike and it seems like the perfect option for me. I have experience in the dirt as well. I'm also looking at SV650s. I'm 15 and will be getting my motorcycle license as soon as I finish my behind the wheel driving lessons (necessary to get an mc permit in CA). Funny thing is that my dad actually wants me to get a bike at this age just so I can drive myself around a few months before I would have my drivers license (im not arguing :D). I dont want to be another damn statistic and will be sure to take it easy for a while until I really get a feel for riding on the street regardless of what bike I get. Was also looking at the ninja 500 but would rather go the suzki route. Is the ninja a good bike as far as reliability and such goes? Thanks in advance for any responses.

EDIT: Do you have to have your mc permit to take an MSF course? I definately plan on taking one.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Both the Kwacker & Suzy 500cc vertical twins are with what many call a "bullet proof" power-plant.

Both bikes are within a few dollars of each other for a given reason of competition & so many realize these are ideal first time riders bikes or in some cases the next step up from a 250cc.

You will find all four big four makers in jpn will not produce lemons when it comes to m/cs & the two above bikes have been around for some yrs with no dramatic changes other then the plastic panels on the one.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think you do need a permit to take the course...doesn't take much time to go to the registry and get a permit anyway.

And yea, both bikes are excellent choices and are reliable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the Ninja 650 comparable to the sv650? Thanks for the onses so far guys. What is the power like on a 500? what about on the 650s?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, the new Ninja 650 is the new competition to the SV650.

The SV has a little more power, I think 68 vs. the Ninja's 54. Both quick enough. If it's your first bike you're probably better off buying a used bike....you won't care so much if you drop it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slaps76 said:
Yes, the new Ninja 650 is the new competition to the SV650.

The SV has a little more power, I think 68 vs. the Ninja's 54. Both quick enough. If it's your first bike you're probably better off buying a used bike....you won't care so much if you drop it.
Is the ninja 650 new for 06?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would the Ninja 650/SV650 be good starter bikes for someone with no riding experience whatsoever?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im considering the Sv or ninja 650 now really just because I have riding experience and dont want to get bored of the 500 and then have to sell it and buy a bigger bike. Not sure though definately going to research something to death before I buy anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
WTF lol you're from GPN lol. You have the golf cart drifting avatar.

I'm scooter1234 with the burning dude avatar. Crazy stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts