Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a starter bike for my daughter. I located a '92 GS-500E that sounds good but haven't looked at it yet. It's owned by an acquaintance who had it as his starter bike and is supposed to be in excellent condition. The way he keeps his stuff and rides his ZX-9, I have reason to believe that's true. The bike has 14,000 miles on it.

Any particular things to be careful of on that model or at that mileage? Any known problems? Quirks?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
dad, i don't know, but gs500rider has a 92 or 93. he's a good guy and will probably help you out. i don't know if he reads this section of the forum. try dropping him an e-mail maybe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just look for stuff like oil leaks, behind the clyinder heads and on the side cases and listen for clanging noises from the enigne (timing chain or bearing will cause this). The GS500E in general are good bike and great for beginners. The bike is same today as it was in 1987 so parts are everywhere. The engine is bulletproof and rides great.

I recommend radial tires, stock is bias-ply and were good but I went to radials and it made a big differance.

Mine has almost 35,000 miles on it and is starting to show some ware, I've been doing track days the last 3 years so the usage is not quite normal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My roomate started on a 2000 GS500E. I rode and they are great beginner bikes. The design is rock solid, hasn't changed in 10 years just the colors each year. Because of this it will be very easy for you to find parts since the year doesn't matter.

I'd say go for it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts