Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey people,

this is a thread about kawi's and racing but i am putting it here, GN if you feel like you want to move it cool with me!

i will be racing next year and getting a race preped bike.
there is a good chance it will be a 2000 6R as there is one in the local area that was raced last year and i believe it to be a good deal. it has: all stock- farings, suspention, gearing, pipe, lights, etc. torn off the day it was bought(never used)

full race preped:eek:hlins shock, race springs(forks), exhaust(w/ extra can), farings(all race), gearing, wired, jetted, etc.

and if you believe it or not 104hp! on the ground, not at the crank!!!!

if i sell my F4 i will basicly be breaking even! what do you people think, good? bad? are the kaws good race bikes?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
dude, don't call him greenie, he's not a big fan of that name. i found out the hard way.

anyway, the kawi is a fine race bike, but 104rwhp is a lot for a new racer. for less money you can probably buy a race-prepped sv. hell you'd likely be able to swing an fzr400 or an hawk or an ex500 an keep your f4.

but if you insist on a middle-weight bike, sounds good. don't forget you can sell off that stock stuff for some cash.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
dude, don't call him greenie, he's not a big fan of that name. i found out the hard way.

No doubt, I'm suprised this thread is still here :D

·
Registered
873 Posts
Context.......

I dont mind the term as long as it isnt used in an obnoxiously condescending manner. But GN is more appropriate and more welcome. Thats all im sayin on that.

Hey congrats on the 6R. I agree that its a bit much for a first racer. Youd be more likely to perform better on an FZR400 or SV. Even the EX500's are an ultra competitive and WAY less expensive option. I hope yer not racing for the "image". The EX guys are real racers.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
How about GNY? :D Just kidding man. Good idea with the EX500 for a first year racer though.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I spent my first 2 years racing a Yamaha FZR400 and I could not recommend a better bike. Turns like a dream and has plenty of power for the lightweight class. The other 600's might eat you in the straights, but you will eat them (including the R6, 6R, and F4) in the turns!

Ask any of your local racers, the FZR400 is legendary.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that is...

that's the same thing i was thinking but i have lost most of my "drive" to drive on the street. three or four of my buddies have been hit in the last couple weeks on the street and i was at the track for a weekend and a nother day a couple months ago and i was scrapping my peggs. my thoughts w/ the 6r is i know i'm going to learn slowly on it and it is alot of bike but i will have it a couple years and there is really no end to the learning curve w/ it

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
nick, there's no end to the learing curve on any bike, sv, ex, 6r, 929, r1. it's just that the smaller bikes will teach you more.

if you really wanna sell your streetbike, i'd get an sv and you may even be able to swing an ex with full rains.

like mike said, the lw class is filled with a lot of cagey veterans that'll really teach you a lot.

honestly, little bikes are fun.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya...

a guy up here has a '98 TZ250 for sale too, it has tuns of extras with it. and it is full race. it is fairly expensive and i'm not sure how much body work and stuff is for it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
movin' on up...

i'm going to move us to Club racing / Track days since it is taking that turn now... i told you GNE

·
Registered
873 Posts
moving to 'track days'

:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
EX Racer

I must agree that the EX is a good machine for racing and for the street. I currently have a Street EX and I'm planning on getting one for the track. I know a few EX racers and they all love them, from the newbie racer to the old veteran racer. From what I've heard other good newbie racer bikes include the Honda Hawk 650, SV650, FZR400, and Aprilia 250 (if you could afford it).

Also check out the Race Organization web sites and Racing magazines classified sections for good used race bikes.

Have fun,

Marc

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would get the 6R. I can understand that street riding has lost its appeal. I dont think the bike is too powerful for a beginner, you control the throttle, not the other way around. And as I have learned, it is pretty tough to keep pace with other riders through the turns if your bike cant even stick with them on the straights. Dont try to correct me on this, it happens to me everytime I go to the track. It is real tough to learn a line when there are no other bikes to follow...ie: they left you on the straight. Yes, I know you shouldnt "follow" other riders, but it's a good learning tool until you learn the bike or turn for yourself. I think you should get the 6R and race it if you wont be losing too much on the deal.

Trevor

·
Registered
17 Posts
ever seen a amatuer 600 race... can you say red flag repeatedly...start small will make you a better racer and will keep you healthy... besides i can keep up with 600's on my sv just by maintaining higher corner speeds... horespower isnt everything....

[Edited by svracer on 11-08-2000 at 12:13 PM]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
ironic

today on the near list an ex racer was saying how he had raced an ex, then bought a 600, raced it once, realized that the ex was just as much fun, but not nearly as costly to race.

anyway, it's up to you, but track days on a little bike are tons of fun. it's great to have some guy pass you on some wonder bike and dog him through the in-field.

i was passed by an ex on my 400 on a straight. but my 400 is far better than an ex. it's all rider at the amateur level.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looking tomorrow...

i'm going to look at the 6R tomorrow. thanks guys for all the addvise i agree with all of it. the only thing that is making me say screw the 6r is all the stuff an for a good deal. i was talking to the guy two days ago and it has even more stuff than i thought. he has 2 sets of full race fareings, 2 front and 4 rear sprockets, a brand new chain, then all the other stuff i was saying ohlins shock, race springs in the front, race handle bars, rear sets, etc. etc. etc...

plus the guy selling it (has a beutifal 900RR) said he sold his stock stuff (off the RR) for like $2500(can) whicch is like a third of what i would be paying for the bike. and with the stock stuff i could go back to the street if i want.

i just don't feel good letting a great deal pass me by.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: looking tomorrow...

MEHLMAN said:
i just don't feel good letting a great deal pass me by.
I have a long-standing personal policy:

Never buy something you don't need just because it is cheap.

I've been attending a lot of track days and riding schools lately, and have ridden three bikes at the Streets of Willows in the last month: my wife's Ducati Monster 750, Keith Code's Kawasaki ZX-6R, and my Triumph Sprint RS. They were all great fun, but then I wasn't going racing speeds, just fast street speeds.

I'm getting closer and closer to talkng my wife into letting me race, and if she gives the OK I'm going to look for a small bike. An EX500 would be great, but there's this FZR400 available at a great price.

As many people have mentioned, smaller bikes will teach you a lot more about carrying corner speed than will larger bieks. Smaller bikes also have the benefit of having less power, so you're less likely to get in over your head and bring out one of those red flags. Do you really need to go 160 mph to have fun? Why? The fun is in the corners. Get a smaller bike and work on your cornering speed. You'll be a better rider for it.

[Edited by photobug on 11-09-2000 at 08:40 AM]

G

·
Re: Re: looking tomorrow...

photobug said:
...I'm getting closer and closer to talkng my wife into letting me race, and if she gives the OK I'm going to look for a small bike. An EX500 would be great, but there's this FZR400 available at a great price.[Edited by photobug on 11-
09-2000 at 08:40 AM]

Id go with the ex. The FZR is probably a better bike but limited production means hard to find stuff for .. I could be wrong ask Tony(cbrf2boy).. Ex's are so cheap its almost silly to pass it up ..

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
ex definitely has better parts availability, but i've never waited on an fzr400 part more than a couple of days. 1mm over pistons seem to be hard to get as well as flat slides.

the .5mm overs still seem to be around (mine had the .5 put in about 2.5 years ago).

if you're interested in a 400, join the fzr400 by going to roadracers.

NOTE: i was wrong, apparantly, it's only the cosworth 1mm overs that are hard to get. good reason to join a mailing list. i should also specify, that the flat slides are still available, it's just they are quite costly and most people rather buy used. but the 400 shares a lot of parts with the 600.

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 11-09-2000 at 06:49 PM]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts