Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
WTF?
...stressing strong, forceful inputs at the handlebar...
I started on the article thinking it was going to be another one of those "Keep some ability in reserve to deal with unexpected situations". Instead I find this guy recommending you hamfist the bars. If you want an upclose and personal view of the local ditch, please make some strong, forcefull inputs. Otherwise, please keep your inputs light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you like the article

I realize you probably didn't find it informative.. However most everyone I have talked with, many of which have raced, completely agree with the article. They found it very informative, but we are all left to our own opinions and views. That is what is great about the internet

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd rather spend a Sunday in the mountains riding at The Pace than a Sunday at the racetrack, it's that enjoyable. Countersteering is the name of the game; smooth, forceful steering input at the handlebar relayed to the tires' contact patches through a rigid sport bike frame.

I think he's smoking crack!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just a question

have you guys wrecked a bunch....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Most race instructers will tell you not to FLICK it into corners, or make HARSH inputs to the bars, I have always been tought, (by racers, and instructors) to give light input to the bars, and also to use more body steering than FLICKING the bike, smoother.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
izzybo69 said:
I think he's smoking crack!
+2 :D (Where are ya hiding izzy? I havent heard a kawi bashing comment in too long)

Seriosly, if you favor sport touring over race track, thats your thing. Fine by me. Obviously there are different requirments for the street, and he makes a fine point of illustrating that. And then the articel devolves into crap.
Countersteering is the name of the game; smooth, forceful steering input at the handlebar relayed to the tires' contact patches through a rigid sport bike frame. Riding at The Pace is certainly what bike manufacturers had in mind when sport bikes evolved to the street.
Countersteering is the name of the game if you are on a bike. Period. If you cant countersteer, you cant ride.
The he goes to tell ya how race bikes evolved for the street.. BS. Racereps are virtually identical to whats being raced, no street evolution there. And the "Street" bikes are different in that they are cheaper to build.
Hell even the author contradicts himself in the next statement.
But the machine isn't the most important aspect of running The Pace because you can do it on anything capable of getting through a corner.
What? The street evolved machine isnt important all of a sudden?

My point is, you want to ride agressivly on the street and not use brakes? thats fine. I've known some guys whos favorite game was cruising down a long hill (with many corners) with the engine off. That was an all together different race.
But please dont make forcefull inputs. The idea is to be smooth. Stop being smooth and the bike will chunk you like a rag doll. Ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Re: just a question

zdavis said:
4 and counting....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Quite the opposite, i have actually never crashed on the street, or track, that was my fault in 8 yrs of riding. I have had two wrecks, one a car pulled out in front of me, and the other someone lost fluids at the track in a corner, and 6 of us went down.

Also, i ride in the top race class at the track, and usually am in the top 10 of the fastest guys on the track.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Vash said:
[B Ask me how I know this. [/B]
How u no dis? :D. What happens when you flick the bike within limit with plenty of traction on the side? Tires shouldn't wash out, unless it'a mental thing going too wide in a turn.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If you are within limit, then your fine. I wasnt :) Overflicked and the front lost traction, I tried to bring it up and get some grip, but when it cought it jerket... A front wheel highside...

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
this was the Z1K or Fury? Vash, how many wrecks did you have besides one with the chic, and the track, and locking the rear once? More importantly, how are you even alive? Your crash screnarios always sounds serious. What's a front high side look/feel like? Same as the rear?:p

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The "Pace" article has been around for quite some time. (Edit: 1991) I think I read it here (SBW) before the great SBW disk crash. Anyway,
I took a Racing/riding class from Reg Predmore. He had us do some laps around the track without using any brakes. It's harder than you think,but after awhile my lap times were not that much slower than my normal ones. (Not that those were/are anything to brag about either) I still try do this on the roads as well as the track as much as possible. Trying to practice "The Pace" has made me a much better/smoother/faster rider.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
at least someone agrees

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yo Z, everyone has there opinions, who is to say who is right?

Just saying that some of what the article claims goes against what i have been taught, and in my opinion could get some less experienced riders into trouble.

P.S. noticed you were in fayetteville, i'm in hot springs, we should get to gether sometime in the spring and ride, we travel up 7 north alot, and sometimes we take the Pig trail up towards your area, also we go to Hallett in OK. about once a month, we come right through fayettville on our way, you should make the trip with us, we always take about 5 or 6 bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the part about getting some new riders in trouble. I would like to ride with you. we ride the pig trail just about every good weekend then west on i-40 and up old 71 back to fayetteville

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
this was the Z1K or Fury? Vash, how many wrecks did you have besides one with the chic, and the track, and locking the rear once? More importantly, how are you even alive? Your crash screnarios always sounds serious. What's a front high side look/feel like? Same as the rear?:p
Fury. I've had 4 wrecks. None included passangers, and none due to rear wheel lockups. Some close calls very well could have, I have no idea how many close calls I've had. Probly a lot.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Fury got dumped twice in the same day at the track. One was running off the track, the other was the strange front wheel highside.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ienatsch also wrote a pretty good book, name escapes me now. i agree with most but not all he says. being in the correct gear entering a corner and not braking is great for street riding but obviously not for da track.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts