Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been lurkin here for a while and just got my first sportbike so thought I'd join the party. I picked up my '00 CBR929RR yesterday and it was love at first sight. My last bike was a Honda Magna--yeah I guess I'm a Honda guy. I got so bored of that bike though...great for just cruising around with the wife :), but no fun in the twisties :( . One ride on my firends zx-9r and I was hooked on sportbikes. I love everything about my new 929 except the way my wrists hurt after awhile--I have been trying to support more of my weight with my legs against the tank and just relaxing my arms. Any more tips for you veterans would be much appriciated.

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Clark! Great choice on the 929. For long rides, my husband has bar risers for his VTR and says those really help but he doesn't like them on for the twisties. There are also some hand exercises you can do and try to relax your grip, that seems to help me. :D

Again, welcome!

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

[This message has been edited by Luv2RideFast (edited July 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Welcome to a great forum. :cool:

I agree with Tony... you don't notice it much in the twisties. And you do get used to it in time. I have 2000+ miles on the RC 51 and my wrists are now starting to get used to it. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
congrats on the 929.

there are two ways i know to now get the wrists to hurt.

1--ride it in the twisties, you'll never notice them.

2--ride it a lot and they get used to it.

anyway, enjoy.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

G

·
Rug, congrats on the new 929. One technique I learned that helps alleviate wrist pain and hand numbness for me when droning down the straight roads of Texas is to rest the forefinger and middle finger of each hand on the respective brake or clutch lever for short intervals. Seems to increase blood flow. Also, concentrate on loosening your hold on the grips. I tend to put a death grip on them, which only exacerbates the problem.

RCjohn stated that his wrists are getting used to it, but I know that his butt still gets sore from the RC51's plank seat. Then again, we all know that John enjoys it when his butt is hurting; he's into that kind of stuff. :D

------------------
Pete
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Luv2RideFast:
Welcome to the forums, Clark! Great choice on the 929. For long rides, my husband has bar risers for his VTR and says those really help but he doesn't like them on for the twisties. There are also some hand exercises you can do and try to relax your grip, that seems to help me. :D

Again, welcome!

Stacia,

About those hand exercises...care to elaborate ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
549 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:

About those hand exercises, care to elaborate?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmm, Kyle and Pete can tell you all about "hand exercises". They use their hands a lot! ;)

In all honesty, I have seen riders doing little exercises where they ride stretching their fingers out and back to the grips several times and also taking one hand at a time off the grips and just moving them around.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 CBR F4 (the faster, silver/red model)
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts