Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, going home from school, I see a state trooper about a1/2 mile ahead of me coming in the opposite lane. The limits 65 and i saw him in enough time to check my speed, which actually ended up being 65, and even backed off a bit just in case. Go figure, as he passes me I see the lights come on and he goes to turn around. Well, pulled over right away, had my bike off, kick-stand down, helmet off, and all my information ready when he walked up. He tells me I got pulled over for speeding, but didn't say how fast I was going. It struck me as a bit odd, considering I checked the speed and my speedo is calibrated from GPS with a speedohealer. I tell him so, but that I'm not arguing with him, just would like to know what reading he got so I can correct the problem. After hedging around and saying he usually doesn't give the speed for warnings (which thankfully was all I got) he tells me I was doing 71. It was completely obvious that it was bullshit just from the way he was acting, would bet a million he didn't use radar. Anyway, I was cool about it and ended up talking to him about college, and got off with a warning. Does this strike anyone else as weird? Is this normal protocol, and how good is radar on a little 600 sportbike that is coming at you head on?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
well... radars are now pretty damn calibrated to be fairly accurate (like 1-2mph), but thats when they are standing still. When a cop pulls you over for speeding, their radar will save the last recorded speed in the buffer so when you ask and the cop sounds sketchy, you could request to see your speed on the radar in his car (if he's not a total douche).

But honestly, always stop and always be polite, no matter what. Although, it seems that a lot of cops are out to get us motorcycle terrorists off the road, just only the anal ones are.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sort of start of the season, also you were comming from school & they really do not want any automotive accidents (that also includes m/cs as you know)-----so you are a 'murdercyclist' & best thing they have been told is to lean on the m/c riders. So you have & you did all things correct other then almost challenge him. Challenge or not you would have lost. So simply accept a warning ticket proof that they are trying to do their job. Do not quibble about it for I expect to be lucky if I can only receive a warning ticket once the rain, hail, & snow stops comiming down at the higher plains that I ride. I will probably be nailed with a speeding ticket as my record for speeding tickets will probably show up on their PC even though last three were in '03.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I got pulled and received a warning today as well, but I was speeding:D I dont know if the laws are different in TX but in FL they have to tell you why you were pulled, they cant just say you were speeding, and if its a written warning it must be written on the warning as well. Glad to hear you go off though.

Sepias

·
Registered
295 Posts
71custom said:
So, going home from school, I see a state trooper about a1/2 mile ahead of me coming in the opposite lane. The limits 65 and i saw him in enough time to check my speed, which actually ended up being 65, and even backed off a bit just in case. Go figure, as he passes me I see the lights come on and he goes to turn around. Well, pulled over right away, had my bike off, kick-stand down, helmet off, and all my information ready when he walked up. He tells me I got pulled over for speeding, but didn't say how fast I was going. It struck me as a bit odd, considering I checked the speed and my speedo is calibrated from GPS with a speedohealer. I tell him so, but that I'm not arguing with him, just would like to know what reading he got so I can correct the problem. After hedging around and saying he usually doesn't give the speed for warnings (which thankfully was all I got) he tells me I was doing 71. It was completely obvious that it was bullshit just from the way he was acting, would bet a million he didn't use radar. Anyway, I was cool about it and ended up talking to him about college, and got off with a warning. Does this strike anyone else as weird? Is this normal protocol, and how good is radar on a little 600 sportbike that is coming at you head on?
please elaborate.... my spedo is off about 7 mph going to start looking into possibly fixing soon. is there a way i can do this by my self or i have to take it to a shop

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think maybe the cop wanted to let you know that he sees you and he will know you in the future...so now he knows your face..so next time if you jet away he knows what you look like....wither that or he just cares about bikes and wanted to get to know a rider..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
well a more specific question is does anyone know y they get off? and is this the only way to fix it?
Could be sprocket change.

Poor factory calibration. I heard once that the factory will set the speedo to read 0-5mph over to make it look like you are going faster than you actually are.

Tire wear(minimal)

I could be wrong but me thinks the speedohealer only works with electronic speedos. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Could've been checking to make sure the bike wasnt stolen.

SkinnyJ: A speedo is never going to be spot on, there will always be some error. So manufacturers set the speedo's 5%-10% off on the fast side, to keep us from getting tickets. A 5% fast error will mean that the bike records 5% more miles than those actually ridden.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yes, the speedo healer only works on speedos that have an electronic sensor. As in, you can have an analog inidcator, but the signal for the indicator has to be electronic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey 71custom, I got a warning last week, no biggie. I seem to get alot of warnings, mostly on my bike. I've gotten pulled out of my car, face down on the pavement while my daughter was sleeping in her car seat for "being in the wrong area." Then given a warning.
I don't know but it seems like they don't have to have a real reason to pull you over in TX, they can probably make up anything to try & justify it. Had one pull me over after midnight telling me with confidence that I ran a red light. Then when I told him that I wouldn't run a red especially when he was parked off to the side by the light. He all of a sudden wasn't sure then talked about high school football for 10-15min. I attributed it to him being really bored. Who knows?
But feel lucky like me that they didn't pull any shit to put you in jail or ass kicking.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used to play hockey with cops, eeer police officers :rolleyes: , they all say that if you get pulled over, shut up, don’t lie/make excuses, and be respectful (almost all of them are on some sort of power trip), and a little ass kissing never hurts either, it's belittling, but it will help. A lot of them say that if you truthful with them and show that you are sorry for whatever, they will let you off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
interesting story 71custom, that's weird he actually pulled you over though.

I got pulled over once while riding with my dad. we were both going around 80 mph in a 65, but the left lane was occupied but a car going faster than us. As the road turned, there was a state trooper on the side, I looked down and saw I was going around 80 or so, tried to brake and then knew I was screwed.

I get pulled over and he comes up to me with a stern face and says "I got you speeding 81 in a 65, I need to see your license and registration." I took my helmet off and started getting my information out and the cop says in the same stern manner and voice "was that your buddy riding with you?" I say "actually that was my dad." The cop looked stunned. "That was...your dad?" "Yeah." "Is he coming back for you?" "Heh, I think he's trying to but can't turn around here" ( we were on a highway obviously). The cop completely changed from there. He was pretty nice and asked me about school and if I had any points on my license. I truthfully told him "Yeah actually I'm on probation :-/" he says with a small smile "So you don't want this ticket do you?" "Haha no sir." "Well let me take a look at your record and I'll probably just give you a warning." He comes back, gives me a warning, I thank him, and as I was leaving he says "haha tell your dad I got him at 79 mph so he wasn't far behind." It was a great relief and I really appreciate the cop doing this for me, he saved my ass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts