Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate just got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on the freeway for "unsafe passing." apparently he was "not occupying my designated area" and speeding at 80mph. if any of you are near irvine, it was on the 55s to the 405s. anyway basically he was riding on the carpool lane and he decided to pass a car so he sped up and crossed into the double yellow, and passed. im not sure if thats legal. any advice?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
When you're guilty, you're guilty. Accept responsibility for your own actions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Find out if it really was illegal. I could have had a speeding ticket dropped by going to court and stating that laser was inadmissible. I had no idea. It might not be worth the trouble to fight it, depending on the fine. A lawyer would probably be able to get the whole thing dropped or reduced to something else, but in most traffic cases the cost isn't worth it.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Call the court and see what you can do to keep it off your record. Maybe they will let you watch a movie, or something like that. The fines arent bad, its the insurance thats a bitch

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Crossing the double yellow in any lane is illegal, not to mention speeding. He MIGHT.... MIGHT be able to get away with saying the car was tailgating, but doubt it will fly. If the carpool lane had a break in it where he was allowed to get out then he might have been ok. :2cents:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In Canada that would have lead to a Criminal Offence called "Dangerous Driving", bike is confinscated, one is throwen in the clanger for mug shots & finger printing. Then have to wait for a lawyer, at his charge, to get you out of jail.

So pay the minor bill & be happy that is all it cost. I got dinged for speeding & simply said "Yes Sir" time & time again to cost me $196.00 & consider myself as lucky.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can see the speeding ticket doing 80mph. I run the carpool all the time and run between the double lines to pass. But if traffic is doing the speed limit you cannt do that to pass. Splitting lanes is only legal when traffic is slowed below normal speeds. If the traffic was doing like 20 mph and You were doing 30 mph I would say the cop would never had bothered you.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Invertigo-

It sounds like your college roommate is going to have to take his lumps and deal with the ticket and insurance surcharges.

Lots of police officers ride motorcycles recreationally and they're occasionally inclined to let a bike "slide" if the rider appears sane and under control. It's when the rider commits squidly multiple violations the overhead lights and sirens get switched on. This sounds like it would be a slamdunk for the prosecution in this case. A better investment of his time would be in riding more responsibly and not being in such a mad rush to get places. Your roommate could request a court appearance and hope the officer doesn't show...but that is a statistical longshot.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flame on indeed. wow you two are uptight. i bet you wouldnt fight a ticket even if you had a chance of beating it. if youre going to say useless stuff like that dont say anything at all please. im obviously looking to help my roommate fight it. you can keep your morals to yourself. keep sh*tting yourself to tears.

thanks to everyone else though. yeah bike cops usually let these things slide. i myself have had a cop let me slide for doing 80 in a 50 because he understands how it is. this is his first infraction since he got his bike though...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
taylords if this is your line & belief or getting away with it you are blessed for in most States & all Provinces of Cdn then the following is a heavy fine. "--I run the carpool all the time and run between the double lines to pass.---"

The passing line is the broken lines on YOUR side of the yellow single or double yellow line. Sometimes the window for passing is extremely limited while other times it is more sensible.

If in question check with your automotive safety driving instruction book or whatever you should be using in your State unless it is that different to all the others.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've got to agree with the rest and say just pay it. There doesn't seem to be much grounds to fight it on and it would take alot of work to do so. You might be able to get them to drop a portion of the charge, like the crossing the double yellow, or mabey the 80mph (if he was on a highway that was a 70mph) but I doubt both would ever fly without a good lawyer. Good luck though. If you and he are willing to put the time and effort to fight it, then more power to you. I would just rather spend the time working, which would yeild more than the amount of money you would save fighting the ticket... just me though.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Some people are so intolerant.

If this fella wants to fight the ticket, that is his choice, and he has his own reasons why. If you disagree, it does not make their choice "wrong" or "stupid". If you are so offended by the concept of someone fighting a ticket that you cry about it, well, I know a good therapist that can help you.

CA has a defensive driving exemption for certain traffic offenses that keeps the ticket off your record. I would check into that. If you have the money there are lawyers who do nothing but traffic infractions and some guarantee dismissals (at least on speeding tickets).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Smitty,
It is aloud here. They will give you a ticket everytime though when you run it like invertigo. If your splitting lanes at 80 mph they will get you for improper passing.
The double yellows on some of our carpools is a double double yellow. There is about 3 feet inbetween the sets of yellow. When traffic is moving about 10 mph Between these lines is where the bikes ride. When traffic is this slow and you do 5-10 faster than the cars the cops wont bother you. invertigo's friend got the cops eye with the 80mph. I nobout high speed lane changing, that will get you stopped everytime.

Oh ya, I do fight my tickets. In this case the only chance he has is to so up to court and hope the cop does not. If he shows 95% chance you will lose. Hell I will even say 99.9%

So when you ride like an ASS dont cry when you get caught.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here are a few links that might help:

http://www.motorists.org/issues/tickets/ticket_fighting_info_strategies.html
http://www.ticketassassin.com/
http://www.helpigotaticket.com/ Site focuses on CA.
http://www.speedticketbeaters.com/ Offers a free evaluation of tickets
http://ticketkiller.com/index.php Offers procedural advice on how to use rules of evidence.

These should help you decide whether it's worth it to fight the tickets. Your roommate may have to spend a little money to get all the info. Unless there is something grossly wrong with the ticket, i.e. wrong vehicle, wrong road, wrong code cited, etc., he'll have to fight it with procedural issues. Basically, he has to show that the prosecution did not bring the evidence required, or that they did not provide him with the evidence requested in order to build his case. He has to be willing to go through all the steps or do nothing and just pay it.

I don't condone unsafe behavior, but traffic tickets are basically a tax on fast drivers. I think cops should be fighting crime, not collecting money. I've only gone to court twice for speeding tickets, just to ask for a reduced fine ($315 and $396) and one of those times I could have gotten it dismissed had I known that laser was not yet admissible in court in GA.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
taylords91 said:
Smitty,
It is aloud here. They will give you a ticket everytime though when you run it like invertigo.

So when you ride like an ASS dont cry when you get caught.
Invertigo? :confused: :dunno: :huh:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts