Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello my name is adam, I like to go fast.

j/k but I do find myself going sometimes to fast around some turns sometimes in the name of fun.

It has become a little worse over the last two weeks, and after a few moments and times where I get back and say "that was kinda stupid" I think it's time to slow down. Lest my luck runs out and I miss a slick spot on the pavement in the middle of a turn.

But honestly, do any of you ever find yourself telling that inner voice to shut up and take it easy?

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
seppuku said:
...But honestly, do any of you ever find yourself telling that inner voice to shut up and take it easy?
All the time.

I often catch myself starting to wind things up a bit. I remind myself of my fiance, my family and friends who'd be devastated if I were to have a major let-go while being a squid.

That's always enough of an incentive to pull my head in and ride a bit safer.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The fear of a ticket / loss of license / rising premiums is what keeps me in line. I've been riding for so long without ever going down (save for a drop in a driveway or two) that the fear of going down that I should have is gone.

Even the close calls I've had were all without incident of any kind, so that only adds to the incorrect belief on my part that I'm superrider.

And to tell you the truth, I'm less afraid of death than I am of a 10,000 dollar a day insurance bill.

Christ, I hate insurance companies.:(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the funny thing is, that with all the times I have been ridding. The only close calls I have had, aside when I droped my bike around a corner a month after I got it, was when people have pulled out in front of me.

Yet I think I have a bigger fear of making a mistake or taking it to close to mine or the bikes limits.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
seppuku said:
...Yet I think I have a bigger fear of making a mistake or taking it to close to mine or the bikes limits.
Got any chicken strips? Dragging a knee?

Chances are you're not close to bike's limits yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cookeetree said:
Got any chicken strips? Dragging a knee?

Chances are you're not close to bike's limits yet.

yes including peg feelers, that's when you know it's time to back off and run it a little wide.

this also leads me to come home thinking, wtf I need to slow down.

·
Registered
489 Posts
250r... draggin knee and peg feelers. You don't need to slow down you need to upgrade your bike and go to the track. :2cents: I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag knee on a 250 ninja

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RoadStainR6 said:
250r... draggin knee and peg feelers. You don't need to slow down you need to upgrade your bike and go to the track. :2cents: I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag knee on a 250 ninja
lol yeah I was j/k I think it's impossible. Peg feelers always seem to be the first one to touch down, but that maybe because the bikes ridding postion?

·
Registered
609 Posts
This past weekend I went riding with a couple other guys....one races, the other has done a bunch of track days, which I've done neither of. One point we're hitting twisties, and I found myself tapping my bike out in third gear(95ish), hitting the sweepers at 80+(they were going 100+), and I couldn't keep up. Once I lost sight of them I slowed down...and told myself DON'T upshift past third, you'll kill yourself. I was riding faster than I usually would, but kept myself in check and didn't give into the temptation to try to stay on their tail. Staying within your limits is very important.

And I've never hit peg on my current bike! Did it once on the Katana, and it was actually a pretty slow corner, not a fast sweeper.

Well hopefully I do a track day or two next summer and learn some better cornering techniques and get my bike down further.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
slaps76 said:
This past weekend I went riding with a couple other guys....one races, the other has done a bunch of track days, which I've done neither of. One point we're hitting twisties, and I found myself tapping my bike out in third gear(95ish), hitting the sweepers at 80+(they were going 100+), and I couldn't keep up. Once I lost sight of them I slowed down...and told myself DON'T upshift past third, you'll kill yourself. I was riding faster than I usually would, but kept myself in check and didn't give into the temptation to try to stay on their tail. Staying within your limits is very important...
Kudo's, mate, for keeping your head and not letting the situation take control of YOU. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi slaps76-

You were 100% correct in not attempting to chase the faster riders. No matter how you slice it, riding into triple digits on public roadways is dangerous, wrong, and sends a bad message about motorcyclist behavior. Continue to ride to the beat of your own drummer.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've been riding now for 10 mths on my 2005 gpx250 and i have to constantly tell myself to back off. I don't tend to go over 100kph as the corners are tight around this neck of the world.
But as experience grows what seems stupid now! might be quite normal with the right skill and experience.....2 week ago I not only scaped the the pegs but the brake lever, bottom of the exhaust and the lower fairing...(big telling off!) Then I started moving my body weight around (hanging off) and presto no scraping..not much anyway.
But to cut a long story short.....
experience!....and that little voice inside your head should get you through.
ps. If you can do some advanced riding courses do it.:thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Everyone tends to go a bit fast at times I would speculate, thats why we have sportbikes. The key though is always keep something in reserve.

The rule of thumb is ride at 80%, though I think most ride at about 90 when riding hard. This means you should go through a turn you think you can make at 100 mph at somewhere between 80 and 90. If its a tight 50 mph turn, take it at 40.

This way you always have something in your back pocket for a OH SH*t moment. And this 80% isnt your bike capabilities, its yours. Chances are you will be somewhere around 60% of the bikes abilities.

Your capabilities are when your brain freaks out and starts to freeze or panic. Any experience rider know hows to take a turn at speed, the real skill is keeping a calm head. At some point everyone's mind hits a point where there is just too much data being processed.

When you are riding hard ask yourself if you could go 20% faster. If the answer is no then dial it back a bit. Strange things happen on public roads and you have to give yourself a chance to deal with them.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The biggest thing that keeps me in check is the fear of a brain fart on corner entry...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
uncledaddy said:
if you are asking yourself that i'd say : get thee to a track....
+1.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Re: got a speed bug?

cookeetree said:
Hey, Rooboy, welcome to SBW! :D Good to see another Aussie on board.

Just curious... What made you head for the GPX over the ZZR??
Price was the biggest factor and the fact that I will probably trade up in about 8mths, at least the re-sale should be good.
Only thing I regret is that the rear suspension isn't adjustable which explains why my 105kg scrapes the bike out in the corners. Thought about replacing the shock but think I'll just wait and sell it...bit more style & experience should get me through.:) :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts