Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considerin on getting rid of our landline entirely and just going cellular...

anyone else out there do this and how do you like it?

Do you have a base unit in your home so that if you are away there is still a phone in the house or what?

in our area we pay outragious fees for just a phone service and everything is long distance if it's not the same exchange... so we hardly ever use the house phone but I dont wanna give out my cell phone # to businesses.... and if I get rid of the house # how do I get around this? give my work # instead?

E.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't have a home phone anymore. Just no point! If you have a good cellular plan then you are just wasting money on a land line unless you are on dial up.

I personally don't like to be reached all the time so if it's time to get away from work, then I put the phone on silent and will check the calls later+ I don't get telemarketers anymore

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i never got a landline when i moved into my place last year and so far its worked out just fine. if i'm not there to answer it anyways they usually just call my cell anyways.
if you're worried about businesses calling, just let the v-mail get it.
:2cents:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
No landline here either. I give my cell number to buisnesses, but I havent had anyone call me yet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have used the cell phone for a main phone for 5 years now. Only problem I have, is an occasional dropped call. And I hardlly ever have perfect reception.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I haven't had a land line for 3 years or so, but now we need to have one for the DSL and Satellite through SBC :rolleyes: Land lines are good for two things, telemarketers and 911.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve - yup.. that's what I found out from Verizon this mornin.. that I can get an extra phone to share my minutes for 9.99 a month plus I can have my existing home telephone # transfered to my cell phone... this way there is one at home for the kids when I'm not around...

was wanted to double check for downside of it before I took the leap... it'll cut my phone bill down by $50 a month if I do this...

I'm worried about using my existing home phone # though for fear that the telemarketers will continue to call in and waste my minutes :rolleyes: even though I'm on the no call list...

E.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My cell is my only phone too. I love it. No solicitors, no long distance, no BS.

Oh, there's this newer phone out by cingular called the firefly. It's a small phone for kids. It has a "dad" button and a "mom" button so little kids can use it too. You just program your numbers in the phone and you can leave one home with the kids. If they want to get ahold of you or hubby, they just hit the picture of the "mom" and it rings your phone. It's cute and pretty inexpensive. Just thought I'd throw that info your way. ;)

Jen

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Firefly Phone Features:

Just five keys, no keypad, to keep it simple for kids and provide parental controls of all calls:
1. "Mom" speed-dial
2. "Dad" speed-dial
3. Phone Book where kids scroll through a parent programmed, PIN-protected phone list with a 20-number capacity
4. Send call
5. End call

- 911 button for emergency calls with accidental call prevention feature
- Optional call screening
- Caller ID
- Interchangeable translucent shells
- Hook for backpack clip (included with phone)
- Firefly Fireworks™ light display, which illuminates when the phone rings and flashes intermittently whenever the phone is on
- 12 ring tones
- Seven screen colors
- Five animations
- Battery charger

Here's a pic. It's 3" long.

Jen

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah my parents ended up cancelling the long distance, but kept regular service. my old cell plan had 800 minutes, and i kept goin over...they went to family plan with like 1300, and i use about 1100 of them and we never go over now....haha. anyways, i dont use my apartment phone, its just there for dsl. i dont know if ill ever have a land line again if i get cable internet (once its available at the apartment i live in). i dont see a point, just get a family plan, we have cingular, it works all over the country pretty dang good, ive been a lot of places with it. i think my parents pay like $110 a month for all 3 separate phone lines, and 1300 minutes, or 1500, or sumthin like that. id say do a family plan, it works out way cheaper in the end.

ps i like that firefly thing, i just saw that on the cingular site today while looking for a blackberry, what a good idea that thing is for little kids though (but from what i remember from previous posts i think your kids are older than a little little kid)

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
spicersh and I kicked around the idea of getting rid of the landline, but decided against it.

Our situation is a little different though, since I am home alone all day with a baby and no form of transportation, I wanted to keep the local 911 that would go directly to the town's EMS and the location would come up.

Yeah, I'm a little nutty, but I could just picture falling down the basement stairs and not being able to get someone here to help because I had no cell service. :dunno:

·
Registered
526 Posts
VOIP

if you got high speed internet just get that VOIP at the house. we pay $19.95 month unlimited anywhere in the US. Works great that way you still have a landline if you ever need it. also if you have relatives in long distance range you can get any area code with VOIP. My buddy here has all his relatives in indiana so he got his number with their area code. so when they call its a local call for them. Yours is unlimited long distance and local anyways so the area code doesn't matter to you.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would keep a BASIC (no features) home phone line no matter what for a couple of reasons:

Power Outages -- basic phone line will always work (of course not a cordless) as your non-cordless phone gets its power provided through the phone line itself; cell phones will work for a little while until the batteries run dead at the cell site tower (that's if you can get through as everyone else is also trying to call) and not all cell sites get generators to keep them going.

911 - especially with young kids...first, would they know where the cell phone is versus the phone on the wall or by the desk; second, most of the time all they really know is to dial 911 and maybe provide the street name but not your address...most cell phones give a general vicinity not your exact location...unless you have Phase II 911 (GPS enabled). Also, home line is guaranteed to get your local EMS. When you are calling 911 time is usually of the essence...

:2cents: :2cents:

·
Registered
50 Posts
E, if you have broadband I would definetly consider going VoIP also. Thats what I did. Landlines cost way too much. It was cheaper to subscribe to this service and charter for internet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No home phone for about 3 years now. Love it. As the others have said, no TM, no solicitation, few wrong numbers. That's the main reason I got rid of the land line.....all I was doing was paying about $30 a month to hear from people I didn't care for.

We have chargers all over the house. My wife and I both have Nokia's so we use the same charger.

I pay $99 a month for unlimited calls nationwide. Works well for me, as it is also my business phone.

It's a valid point about 911, but then again I have never had to call 911 ever in my 34 year life. I'll dial 911 from the cell and hope for the best. If the power goes out EVERYWHERE in some kind of catastrophic event (ala 'Katrina'), I'm getting my guns ready. No need for 911 at that point as they'll never come.

Cheers,

PS. The only downside for me is that if I want to fax a document, I need to pay for a third party online fax service, which sucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts