·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright folks, Let's hear your opinions on the best gloves UNDER $110.00

Rate them this way:
Protection
Comfort
Fit and Finish
Cost

I'm looking for a new pair for next season.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Alpinestar gp+ gloves are excellent. Best price I've seen was around $155--are your hands worth $155? Fit and finish was good. After breaking them in; the comfort is perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I have to agree with Rug Burn. Spend the extra $45 and save your hands. I have field tested my Alpine Star GP's twice now and both times above 80mph. And I still wear the same pair today. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
gmax said:
alright folks, Let's hear your opinions on the best gloves UNDER $110.00

I'm looking for a new pair for next season.
I have a pair of Olympia's I got for about $50 and they protected my hands when I fell during a very slow MSF course excercise but wouldn't recommend them for general use. I've heard a lot about Alpinestars, AGVs and HELD. I have a carbon/race version HELD pair of gloves and they are great. However, they cost over $200 and I haven't (don't plan to either) crash tested them.

I suggest you buy the best you can find and afford. Save a few more pennies to save your little digits.

Good luck,

Marc

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have a pair of Technik gloves that I've had about four years now.
Protection: Padding on the back of the hand and knuckles,padding on the palms too as well as "rivets".
Comfort: Very very comfortable,the "gauntlet" portion is just the right length and has a wide adjustable velcro closure.
Fit/Finish: Nice colors:no fading or running,no loose threads,(which are kevlar),fits me perfect.Just the right weight leather,I use them even on hot days.
Cost: $89.95
Still using them and enjoying 'em!:)

JIM

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I'm investing in a pair of Alpinestars GP's

XMAN said:
[I have a carbon/race version HELD pair of gloves and they are great. However, they cost over $200 and I haven't (don't plan to either) crash tested them.
I hope you knocked on wood bro, 'cause I don't think the majority of the population generally plans to crash test. Then again you have superpowers seeing that your an XMAN :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the reason i put a 110.00 limit is because there is such a wide range of prices offered. I am a firm beleiver in the "Is your head/hands/body worth it?" argument. I'm just not sure where protection vs. fashion trends lands in this case.

Thanks for the replies. Let's get some more!!

--gerry baker

·
Registered
101 Posts
jk6672 said:
I'm investing in a pair of Alpinestars GP's...

I hope you knocked on wood bro, 'cause I don't think the majority of the population generally plans to crash test. Then again you have superpowers seeing that your an XMAN :D
Sure did, "bro". :0

Unfortunately, I don't have any superpowers they have been revoked by the cops. Seriously, I agree with you that most of us don't plan to do any asphalt diving, however if you race or plan to race it's almost inevitable that you will be tasting the tarmac at some point during your career.

I'm glad that everyone has gotten a good deal for their gloves of choice, I know I paid a little more then they are worth because I bought them from a dealer/mechanic's shop.

Hopefully, you will find your gloves at a more reasonable price.

Have fun,

Marc

·
Registered
367 Posts
Some of the lower priced gloves bleed when they get wet. If you ride in the rain, this is bad looking because your hands are all black, or red, or blue, or whatever color you buy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
For general riding in the season I use my Olympia Kevlar Sports. They are comfortable, well padded and cost around $60. I also have a few other pairs for colder weather, which are nice when the weather is what it is now on Long Island, but not for everyday in summer. I also have an older pair of Fieldsheer F1s that have some nice ventilation and are great on hot days.

Just remember, whatever pair you do buy, use them They don't help sitting on a shelf or in a tankbag...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I know this exceeds your $110...but as a professional musician I went on a quest to find the best gloves I could get my hands on (in)...after all, I make my living with my hands.

Kushitani Hyper-Racing

On your ratings list...I'll give 'em top marks on everything except for cost...at $250 they are NOT cheap.

Here's what makes them worthwhile though.
You start with a "normal" glove that's already wonderful protection.
But then, you add on a completly separate gauntlet that slips *over* the glove, giving additional protection and *thick* padding to the back of your hand/knuckles/palm/lower fore-arm.

It's the outer gauntlet did it for me...just about every other glove I've seen is just the "normal" glove on its own.

I tested them in a slow get off at 20mph...the outer gauntlet came off unscathed...(and there's still the inner glove under that!!!)

Even with all the protection, they have superb feel and fit to them...again 10/10...

Heck, the Kushitani GPRII gloves which are less protective (no outer gauntlet) than the Hyper-Racing already get top marks in their own right...

Check them out, really in a class of their own...
and if anybody knows better, post it, 'cuz I'll always go for the best for my hands. (held/buse/alpinestars/bks didn't do it for me in comparison, although bks looks good but no outer gauntlet)

[Edited by con_ritmo on 11-15-2000 at 11:05 PM]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I,ve got 3 pairs of Held gloves, Kevlar backed for summer rides, Gortex for wet weather, and 2277 for track/twisty/everday use. These are the best gloves I've ever owned, definetly worth the cash. @@77's run about $180 a pair, more than 110, but cheaper than surgery if you go down.

·
Registered
101 Posts
HELD

As I mentioned in an earlier post that the HELD offer a great feeling glove and appear to give you good amount of protection. I've heard many people that wear them love them.

I really like my HELD 2277's they trully make you feel as if you have nothing on after you put them on. I remember stating earlier that I paid over $200 but I think it was more like what OldR1100 stated.

Like I stated before, don't cheap out on protection.

Good luck,

Marc

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
C_R Iv'e gotta 2nd the motion for the Kushitani gloves. I read a crash test a few months ago about the GPR glove--most impressive. That Hyper glove will come in handy when you go Kung Fu fighting too. :D One ? on the Hyper glove, is that little strip of leather/elastic that holds the gaunlet to the glove at the base of the fingers strong enough? Looks like they would be the first part of the glove to come apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, those little strips of leather at the base of the fingers are pretty weak.
However, they're situated in the crooks of your finger/hand...and are normally out of the way...however if I ever happened to burn through them sliding down the road, I'd just do a DIY job and put 'em back together.

It doesn't look like they are integral to keeping the gauntlet to the glove...just ensures that the knuckle padding on the back is held in close.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,
I hope i am not to late! I am surprised that no one mentioned PILOT gloves, I got their top of the line TRG gloves that all of PILOT's sponsered pro racers wear. I figured if they are good enough for a racer they are good enough for me! I had a "get off" at about 10-15 mph (i am a big dumb-ass) and i landed basically on my gloves, and there was almost no noticable damage to the glove just some minor scuffing, didn't even damage the kevlar stitching. The best part is these gloves were only like $60+shipping. The down side is the color does bleed onto your hands when they get wet but only for a couple of rain storms ;)
check them out at http://www.pilotusa.com
They are very comfortable
zane

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Has anyone used or heard anything about Dainese T-age glooves? wondering if they're worth $310.00

·
Registered
101 Posts
jk6672 said:
Has anyone used or heard anything about Dainese T-age glooves? wondering if they're worth $310.00
I wouldn't bet on it. While I haven't read any tests on these gloves, I'm sure there are many gloves that are just as good if not better for less money. Check Alpinestars, HELD, Kushitani (sp?) and others to name a few.

Good luck,

Marc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts