Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some help on this one...I am a newbie...I am in the market for a ride and I want to make the best decision possible as far a comfort, reliability, fun, etc.....I am very curious about the Gixxer 750....A good mid-size bike...I am going to take the MSF course before I throw my leg across anything...with that said, do you guys think the Gixxer 750 is a good bike for me...I am about 5'10", 200lbs....I don't plan on acting crazy or riding beyong my limits, but I do plan on riding the bike...I have heard about some of the problems Suzuki has with their bikes(750 especially) and I am not trying to buy a problem....your thoughts please....

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am 5 10 and about two bills as well. I have a 600 F4i as my first bike after taking the MSF course. It is plenty of power and many feel that it is too much power for a newbie. So far so good, but I can see their point about a new 600 being too much for a beginner. The thing goes like a raped ape! :D I would read old threads and reconsider the 750 suzuki for a first bike. They are EXTREMELY fast!! Good luck and ride safe!

Dave:cool:

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the 750 isn't a beginner's bike. nor is it a middle-weight.

the bike isn't as forgiving as most bikes (like the f2/3).

the bike is dependable, so long as you're not a wheelie machine or racing it. they seem to have some tranny problem. but every bike seems to have these things too.

it's an awful first bike.

i'm 5'10 or so and i'll go with 200lbs. and i have both a 750 and a 400. the 750 is faster in a straight line. but i don't think i can really go any faster on the 750.

anyway, take a long look at the sv650. or maybe better, the drz400s (or whatever the street one is).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
QuikMike said:
I really need some help on this one...I am a newbie...I am in the market for a ride and I want to make the best decision possible as far a comfort, reliability, fun, etc.....I am very curious about the Gixxer 750....A good mid-size bike...I am going to take the MSF course before I throw my leg across anything...with that said, do you guys think the Gixxer 750 is a good bike for me...I am about 5'10", 200lbs....I don't plan on acting crazy or riding beyong my limits, but I do plan on riding the bike...I have heard about some of the problems Suzuki has with their bikes(750 especially) and I am not trying to buy a problem....your thoughts please....
Not the most comfortable riding position... I dunno anything about reliability because I'm not mechanically inclined and the folks I know that ride them are just fine... definitely fun bike...

Not a MIDSIZE bike at all... put a professional on this bike and it wont finish last in a race...

Great call on taking the MSF course... nobody ever plan of going crazy... it just happens! (may lightning strike the ones who says they never ever gotten a bit crazy with all that power between their legs! :D)

No not a good bike for a newbie... too much of a bike...

·
Registered
609 Posts
as i said in the suki forum. A new GSXR750 is as fast as a 929 or a R1 and isn't the best beginner bike.

An older one would be a good idea, there's lots of them out there and you wouldn't take a pounding when you resell.

·
Registered
19 Posts
oldgixer said:

An older one would be a good idea, there's lots of them out there and you wouldn't take a pounding when you resell.
i'll have to agree with this one...the older ones don't look as "cool", but damn, they're exquisite. i love mine...just enough power...and if you ain't going fast enough, d+d exhaust, stage 3 jet kit, and go up 2 in the back...more than enough power for a newb.

rock on
-wil

that being said, you can pick one up for around 2 g's.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Another Opinion

I answered the reliabilty question in the suzuki forum, so i'll offer my first biek opinion here.

Are you the only rider?? By that I mean are you planning on taking a passenger?? IF so, how frequently?? I went from my VFR to the Gixxer knowing that I wouldn't carry a passenger often. Granted my g/f goes out maybe once a month, but that's rare enough.

The SV650 is a good choice for a starter, if you have to look sporty, get the SV650s I've been eyeing that bike since it came out.

The 7 has capabilities beyond most of our dreams. Although it is well beyond a newbie's skill, it can also build confidence very quickly. One track day and I learned more about braking than I had developed in three years. Had the back end skipping off the ground with confidence. Would you try that on a Kawi 500?? Maybe, but probably not.

With that said, if you buy the 7, always remind your self that the limits are yours, not the bikes. Get in above your head? remember the bike is right at home. Confronted with a new situation? Relax and remember what you're riding. Might save your life to know that the bike is ready for anything....

Now if I could just remind myself, that my 1000 isn't trying to throw me off :D

Good Luck Shiny Side Up

P

1 - 10 of 10 Posts