Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my girlfriend to an empty parking lot last night to let her practice her riding, as she just got MSF certified and fully licensed. I have a 2000 SV650 (that's for sale), and a Hayabusa. She literally aced her MSF class, with no hiccups whatsoever. She rocked.

We get to the parking lot, and I show her around the SV (a world different than the 125cc Honda she used for MSF), and tell her she should probably just start by using the friction zone to get rolling, then slowly circling the parking lot, maybe upshifting to 2nd if she sees fit. No big deal.

She starts off perfectly, then slowly starts cruising around the perimeter of this parking lot, all in 1st gear. I watch her and give her the thumbs up a few times, because she's handling the bike very well. She upshifts to 2nd, then practices a downshift back to 1st. All's well in practiceland.

I turn around to get something out of my 'Busa trunk when I hear the unthinkable: a loud crash followed by some residual scraping. Oh. My. God. I turn to see my girlfriend lying on the ground, the bike prone on its left side. Oh. My. God. I run over there, pick her up, and ask if she's OK. She is. Her hands have a few scrapes on them, her jeans are ripped at the knee, and her courdoroy jacket has a rip at the elbow, but otherwise, she's just fine. She's freaked, saying "I'm sorry" roughly eleven bajillion times, but she's more or less fine. She points to the bike.

The bike.

I pick up my SV, the first real bike I owned. The gas tank is scraped and dented -- needs replacing. The tach/speedo assembly is cracked -- the tach, if not the whole thing, needs replacing. Left turn signal cracked -- need a new one. Left rearview mirror scraped to hell -- need a new one. Shifter functional, but the rubber part you actually shift with has broken off, leaving just a straight piece of plastic with no nub -- needs replacing. A few scratches around the edge of the headlight -- that metal ring will need to be replaced. Bar end scratched -- needs to be replaced.

D'oh.

I asked what happened and she said she was just turning in first gear, and she went to slow down. Instead of using both front and rear brakes, as she was taught, she, for some reason, grabbed a LOT of the front brake, which in turn caused the front wheel to skid a bit, then she lowsided. She's more angry at herself for grabbing the front brake so hard. She just made a newbie mistake.

The good thing here is that she's OK; that was my biggest fear and main concern. The bummer here is that the bike was almost sold to a prospect, and now I have to take it to the dealer for minor repairs.

So yeah, that's my story. No coincidence that all this happened on a Monday. ;)

Anyone here have any ideas how much it will cost to repair the damage listed above?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I've done practically all of the same things. It's so different going from a 125 to a "real" bike. I'm glad she's okay, and that was very cool of you to worry about her well being first. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have someone like you. (and tell her to ALWAYS wear gloves, even in practice!!!!)

Check out SVrider.com for parts. In the classified section, there are dozens of people selling off the stock parts because they have converted their bikes to track only. I can almost promise you you'll find everything you need for less than the dealer would charge.

Oh, and tell your g/f to not worry, and get right back on. Her story is in keeping with just about every woman I've ever talked to who just started riding. The trick is to just log miles, and quicker than she thinks, she'll be riding like a pro.

Some great women's biker sites:
http://www.ladybiker.com
http://www.just2ride.com
http://www.sportbikegirl.com
http://www.fuzzygalore.com
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sportbikegirls

These are some of the best sites I've found for women who ride.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
748 abuser said:
Scraped hands? Why wasn't she wearing gloves?:confused:

That was my first question. :eek:

I know someone who should be scolded loudly for letting his novice girlfriend practice without proper gloves on. Bad, bad Geoff. :rolleyes:

:p

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doh!

When you said you went to pick up your baby, I thought you meant the "BIKE":D. So did you give her a spanking. Just remember, don't baby her. Make her strong so she can get back on and ride.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: Doh!

JohnnyD said:
So did you give her a spanking. Just remember, don't baby her.
Why on earth would he spank his bike?? Thats just plum absurd, hasn't it gone through enough for one night!?! :D

Geoff, sorry to hear about the drop, hope it can be fixed with minimal $.

·
Registered
129 Posts
no i think its a pretty good practice. at 20mph there is no way you can lock up your rear tire. if you stomp the back break as hard as you can it will just stop the bike. Where as if you grab the front brake really hard at low speed or while turning at low speed it can lock and slide out from under you and you will go down. I cannot think of a situation where not using the front brake at very slow speeds could possibly hurt you in any way.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
vector4 said:
I cannot think of a situation where not using the front brake at very slow speeds could possibly hurt you in any way.
I can. 20 mph is still fast for 300lbs of machinery. At that velocity, using only the back break, you would never stop in time to avoid a close collision.

It's best to use both brakes in street situations.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ever been down a gravel road doing 15mph on a 400lb. machine? ever try to use the front brake while doing so?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
her93zx6 said:
ever been down a gravel road doing 15mph on a 400lb. machine? ever try to use the front brake while doing so?
Can't say as I have. I live in an urban area, gravel roads aren't a part of my daily routine.:)

·
Registered
987 Posts
It's a good idea to use both brakes all the time for the simple reason that your body becomes accustomed to varying the input between front and back to fit the situation on a subconscious level, so that when something unexpected does happen, the correct response is ingrained, and doesn't have to be thought about. Even on a gravel road, the feel for your bikes' braking limits can be refined. Gloves, jacket, & boots for the lady, if you want her to stay smooth & lovely!
Don't sugarcoat it Mongrel, tell us how you really feel!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Mongrel Racing said:
Well then not only is your friend full of shit so are you.

MSF teaches maximum braking using the front and rear brake. The exercises are done at 15 to 20 mph. Also a locking the rear wheel exercise is done at 15 to 20 mph. And yes you can get the rear wheel to lock on a shitty Nighthawk 250 and if you are not prepared for it, the bike can easily get out of shape with the rear wheel going sideways. Letting off a locked rear wheel in this situation can get you into a very nasty High-side even at 20 mph. I know, I have seen it. Quit perpetuating bullshit. You are wrong and oh so very wrong. Learn how to ride and learn how to use your brakes.
That's phukin' beautiful, Mongrel! Thanks for verbally knocking some sense into these people.

NEXT!!!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sorry about the bike and girlfriend! On the upside, I'll give you $100 plus shipping for the tank if it's not leaking.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I know there is probably a "by the book" way of stoppin a vehicle.. I personally always use both.. probalby 65% on the front at any speed.. it just a matter of controlling the front end even if it skids.

On my VTX the braking is actually linked so no matter is you hit the front or rear, it applies both to a certain degree..

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Tristan said:
I'll give you $100 plus shipping for the tank if it's not leaking.
Ya snooze ya lose- found another tank already!
Put yours up for sale in SV Rider, should sell right away.

·
Registered
873 Posts
About brakes and gravel roads, been there done that,

HELL NO did i "just" use the rear brake. I had to use BOTH brakes and it was quite a chore at that I must say. With only one brake the rear would lock very easily. With only one brake the front would lock very easily. With both brakes it was a FAR better balance and control was maintained. This was no girlyman gravel, this was 4" deep gravel on an incline and decline. I feel this should be on the MSF class. go 5-10 mph up a hill covered with 4-5" of pea-gravel, and go down same said hill without dropping bike. That would separate the skilled from the unskilled like nothing else.

USE BOTH BRAKES. Thats why they are there!

(oh, and yes, you may ask why chose to ride up the hill... it never seemed so bad in a cage and i didnt know any better having only had my first sportbike for 2 months at the time, back in my younger years)

·
Registered
987 Posts
In many things that people do there is room for differing opinions, but correct streetbike braking is NOT one of those things. The very fact that antilock & linked braking systems have been developed highlights the importance that mfgs. place on this skill, and their desire to allow a machine to make up for rider error.
You must practice braking, using both brakes, over a variety of surfaces and from a variety of speeds. Try braking while leaned over (ease into this carefully!!) Practice hard braking on the street when circumstances permit it.
I have friends who are dead today because they failed to practice braking nearly as much as they practiced wheelies, burnouts, and quick leaving.
This is the plain & simple truth. if you practice using your brakes, both of them, you will greatly increase the odds of enjoying many thousands of miles of pain-free riding, if you don't, you will almost certainly crash at some point, probably into something, and you will greatly increase the odds that you will die on the road. Like Mongrel said.

·
Registered
129 Posts
first... your a rude human being mongrel.

let me refine what i was talking about, 20mph manuevers ie. PARKING LOT. While turning in the parking lot I use only my rear brake, if you need to stop real fast grab the front...duh. As far as releasing the locked rear wheel and high-siding, well that is true at any speed so not sure why you brought that up. I am sure that most people use less front brake than they do rear when driving slowly around a parking lot. It is awkward to actively steer while braking with the front. At this speed you won't be countersteering. If you want to use 65% front or whatever # the MSF says go ahead but don't blame me if you fall.

Personally for regular riding I use about 75 front 25 rear because my bike was made after the 70's and has hydraulic dual caliper front brakes.

Oh I looked at that bmw 1200rs (or whichever model, its the sport-touring one) that has power brakes! it was wild.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Geoff said:
I turn to see my girlfriend lying on the ground, the bike prone on its left side. Oh. My. God. I run over there, pick her up, and ask if she's OK.
What! You checked on your girlfriend before you checked out your bike? That doesn't seem right to me!

J.K.!;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts