Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks. Looking for some possible advice. My GF is picking up riding and bought a used SV650S as per my insight. She was thinking of a GSXR 600 at one point. heh Anywho, she's really short. The bike has been lowered 2 inches so far but should have been lowered 4 for her. The problem is 2 is as far as the fairings will allow. The bike has been modified a lot with a whole different set of fairings just for everyone's info. Just sitting on the bike with the 2 inch lowering, she's on her tippy toes because she's only 4'11".

I'm military and not around to help her very much. She doesn't really know any other riders and is scared to learn by herself in case she dumps the bike. She's nervous right now, and having problems keeping the bike steady. She's got that "turn right" issue too.

Is there any hope for her? Personally, I think there is and her biggest issue is her nervousness. She doesn't like the fact she's on her toes at a stop though and she feels like she doesn't have enough control for the bike itself. She is getting better at a few things though. Doesn't stall it near as much anymore. :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Check out riding boots that can help with elevation. And as usual, the MSF can dispel much of the apprehension.

·
Registered
53 Posts
MSF class would be a great idea for her. It will help her with the skill set for riding. As she picks this up she will be able to concentrate on touching the ground. MSF is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Ski Bum said:
MSF class would be a great idea for her. It will help her with the skill set for riding. As she picks this up she will be able to concentrate on touching the ground. MSF is a good thing.
+1. Definitely MSF course would help. I'd let her use their little 125/250 cc bikes instead of bringing her own.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
good god, 4' 11"? Hope she can figure out how to ride with high-heels and sit on phone books. :p

SV650 is low compared to street bikes, but honestly, I don't know of any street bike, even if you lowered it 3", would fit your gf properly. Perhaps a cruiser would suit her better as they have a lower seating position (such as a rebel or perhaps a buell, they are fairly low riding positions).

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I agree with Baz for with extended soles & heels this bike is massive in size & power. Besides the "home coaching" is good but not up to snuff of the MSF Course is.

True young women are cute at 4'11" to 5.2" though riding a m/c is almost a different story in life.

I had a gal I tought that stood 5'9.5" & could look me straight in the eyes when standing bare footed. Also she was an excellent skier, mountain climber & had an amazing sense of balance, timing & co-ordination so I tought her to ride an Observed Trials bike being a 200cc Greeves & often she beat out most of the men for I was probably one of the best in Cdn & she trained with me & more into my toughest of sections I practiced. Her long legs & amazing strength, probably better then most men thanks to being slim, payed off for she was Chinese & came from the North.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ack! Sorry for not mentioning it in the first post. Assumed you guys would know before I'd even want her on a bike she'd have MSF. She's already done the class.

Sorry, folks. I already took care of the obvious. The boots thing is a good idea though. Anything else? :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cookeetree said:
Pocket-bike wheels??? ;)
I should suggest it. She'd probably think it was funny. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat as you. My GF is learning how to ride as well. We picked her up a 2004 Kawasaki 250R. Price was right and she did not mind it.

The first day I brought her out was interesting! After I showed he what all of the controlls were I had her jump on it. We had to have gone over the controlls for a good 10 minutes.

After she felt comfortable with knowing the controlls "Mentially" she wanted to actually ride. I said alright! So I asked her what to do. She explained to me how she would go about getting the bike going. No problems.

I asked her how to stop. She showed me what to do. Everything was flawless, so I told her to give it a go. I ran ahead about 50 feet. She started to go, She was doing pretty good. Then she panic'd. At that time i was holding on to the front of the bike running backwards. Telling her to get off the throttle. She was like "I can't, I can't". Still running backwards I hit the kill switch.

After that she did pretty well! She was still VERY uncomfortable. So I called my uncle up to see if we could get her on there dirtbikes.

We went down and put her on a PW70. After about an hour of her riding that she was riding like a pro. She got real comfortable with accelerating, breaking, left turns, right turns and so forth.

Unfortunately we have not had a chance to bring her back out and her MSF is scheduled for this weekend. I have faith in her that she will do fine.

I think you should deffinitly start her off on something small where she feels comfortable. Comfort is key in learning. Makes you a little less nervious.

Thats my 2c.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I keep the ole F2 still around just to teach hot girls how to ride. :D ;) :p

It's just makes it a better investment to keep it sitting in my garage for a hot girl to sit on it every once in a while then it is to sell her.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i`m not sure what suspension adjustments are available on the sv however i would guess fully adjustable as in compression and rebound damping front and rear. i would make 100 % sure that the sag is set right for her weight....maybe a little on the high side as much as a full inch front and rear with her on it. with that in mind your compression damping can probably be set a bit lighter than factory specs. if shes sittin on it at factory specs its gonna ride rough and sit high. you mentioned the lowering kit ...i `m not familer with them and i wonder if consideration was given to the finer points of suspension set up. she got a nice bike , hope she bonds with it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
ballsout in the front you will NOT find the compression, pre-load, and the damping on the Suzy SV 650 nor the Kwacker Ninja 650R. Though there is a bit on the rear shock but not much.

To those aiming to race the same they had to make dramatic & costly changes to the f/forks & rear shocks. To other things as well such as more forward lean, high & back farther rear-sets to proper clip-ons & other things. The SV-650 was designed to be a fun bike to ride due to being more torque in the lower revs rather then a peaky 600cc four aimed at racing even if just Clubman form, AMA & such.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might look into those boots and just get her some more practice time next time I'm down. I don't really think anything else can be down to the bike. It's lowered as far as it can safely go.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I am wishing you luck, but at that height the bike is far to high for her safety as are most m/cs. Now if you went back to the pre-war days & right after WWII most saddle heights were no more then 22 or 24" AND so many bikes used to learn on only had something like 6hp, & next step up might be around 12 or 15 hp while a hot trotting 500cc or 45SV V-twin of a HD or Indian punched out 25hp. Of interest the 1000cc V-twin Vincent HRD like the Rapid C was the bike all dreamed of, yet less then 5% bought due to cost & due to power as it developed 49hp--------yes lower in power then a 500cc parallel twin like the Suzy or Kwacker bikes.

Sort of tells you your g/f is trying to learn on a very fast bike compared to what we learned in the late 40s & early 50s FOR why do you think Honda & others only came out with 50cc to 75cc bikes with low saddle height to even step-through frames ----so the beginners could learn & not become teriffied of.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I hear ya. When she was looking around for one, she definately wanted a sportbike and I thought of the SV because of it's lower seat height and lower power compared to the supersports.

The thing that's hurting her the most right now, is the sporatic time she's had on the bike with me being there to help. Since I'm stationed a state away, I can't be there all the time and she doesn't want to learn without someone there. But nothing can be done about that.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Vipes said:
...The thing that's hurting her the most right now, is the sporatic time she's had on the bike with me being there to help. Since I'm stationed a state away, I can't be there all the time and she doesn't want to learn without someone there. But nothing can be done about that.
What about finding a riding group in your area? Perhaps a female rider from a local stealership? Surely someone in the area would be willing to help her out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts