Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
Ive posted a couple times before and thank all of you for your excellent support and advice. Ive decided to go with an 06 gsxr-600 (Red/Black). I just turned 18 and im 5'9" 200 lbs. Ive got my finances and everything setup to buy it in october. The reason i went with this bike instead of comparable bikes is because:

a) Lighter than all 600's
b) Cheaper than all 600's
c) Seat height is lower than all 600's and is the only one i can flatfoot. (fits me best)

This is my first bike w/ my only experience being on dirtbikes. a 250 is the biggest ive ridden. Im really excited to buy this bike, cant wait to join all you guys out there on the road. Ive signed up for msf and have already bought a red/black suzuki leather jacket, red/black gloves and a black arai helmet ($599!!!)

I dont really have any ?'s for you guys but if you have any input on my choice or if you think ive overlooked anything, please let me know! I just lost a 19 year friend from a horrific crash on a crotchrocket. There was nothing left of him, literally. It seems like every week i read of a squid w/ no helmet dying. RIDE SAFE OUT THERE!

·
Registered
295 Posts
another reason to maybe think about getting a used one why spend 2400 dollars on fucking insurance a year. get a bike and try to pay it off quickly or get somthing older
i have an 01 and pay 200 a year......

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
New Gixxer

golfskiplay said:
An arm and a leg. ($200/month)
OUCH!

Well, if you've got the money to pull it off, all the more power to ya. Glad to see you got yourself some good gear too.

Best of luck and be careful out there!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
.... and so you went ahead and bought a "crotchrocket" anyway as your first bike, and a 2006 one that. Real smart. Btw, I think the sales guy pulled a fast one on you, gsxr600 isn't the lighhtest 600, in fact, according to the review I have, it was the heaviest. :laughing:

Not to be rude, but you should have known better. Gears don't save a rider from poor decision, it's only the last line of defense.

Didn't you just recently crash on a scooter?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have to agree with Z and Skinney. Buying a new bike as a starter isn't smart, let alone a new GSXR as a first bike... But to each his own. I just hope your around to ride again next season as well...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats on your bike purchase and future enjoyment. I am glad to see you started out with a 600 versus a 1000 and that you have bought gear as well as signed up for classes. Every one will say you should have bought smaller, older, etc, do not take it to heart, but you know your experiance, finances and mental state better than us. Sounds as if you put some thought into this.
Bike power now a days is no joke, but the life saving elements have also improved, brakes, suspension, etc. Be careful no matter what/where you ride.
A bike only goes as fast as the person twisting the throttle, however environmental awareness is crucial and the class will help develop that more.

·
Registered
322 Posts
go easy on the kid guys. He signed up for the classes, which is more than I can say.

I was 24, but my first bike is a gixer 600, brand new off the showroom floor.

Im fine, I dont ride like an idiot, and I dont push myself more than I can handle.

If he already got good gear, and signed up for the classes, hes doin alright, especially for an 18 year old. Leave em alone. Hes got safety in mind its obvious, and is taking this very seriously. (not askin how to pull wheelies n whatnot.)

Save that raggin for the dumbasses that buy a liter for a first bike and just go out and try to stunt it and shit.

Congrats on your bike, well, when ya get it. Be careful. These thing got lots more power than the dirtbikes. These employ whats called "half throttle"

What does this mean to you? Turn it a LITTLE and you get ALOT.

good luck bro.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Still... 18 + new super sports bike + 1st bike... Those are not good combinations.

I wait to pass judgement on the kid for 6 months, if his ride is not stolen, wrecked and he is alive, then more power to him. But seriously, would have been a better choice, and cheaper, to have gotten an older bike and have it paid for. I saved up a year to buy my F2 and I still love it. My first ride and I will never sell it.

May you ride safely and enjoy life.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jay22 said:
go easy on the kid guys. He signed up for the classes, which is more than I can say.

I was 24, but my first bike is a gixer 600, brand new off the showroom floor.

Im fine, I dont ride like an idiot, and I dont push myself more than I can handle.

If he already got good gear, and signed up for the classes, hes doin alright, especially for an 18 year old. Leave em alone. Hes got safety in mind its obvious, and is taking this very seriously. (not askin how to pull wheelies n whatnot.)

Save that raggin for the dumbasses that buy a liter for a first bike and just go out and try to stunt it and shit.

Congrats on your bike, well, when ya get it. Be careful. These thing got lots more power than the dirtbikes. These employ whats called "half throttle"

What does this mean to you? Turn it a LITTLE and you get ALOT.

good luck bro.
thx man. I mos def think i have more common sense than most. i know im asking for a little bit of trouble starting out with a new 600 but trust me ill be careful. ill keep you guys updated when i get it. I plan on wearing my gear all the time unlike most of these squids out there.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So you have till Oct to change your mind? I'd suggest a Suzuki SV650, or a 500 Ninja. Used. Here's why -

At some point you are almost certain to drop that bike. Hopefully you won't be on it at the time, or you'll be going slow, so you won't get hurt. Then you're going to find out it's going to cost at least $1000.00 to repair.

Now you have a choice. Do you pay for it out of pocket or file under insurance. If you file, you're still going to have to pay the deductible, and they're almost certainly going to raise your rates even more, maybe to the point where you can't afford it.

Buy a used, less-intense bike up front, and take those thousands you'll save for whatever. A year or two of riding experience will make you more confident, less likely to drop your bike, and cheaper to insure..........:2cents:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Rundog said:
So you have till Oct to change your mind? I'd suggest a Suzuki SV650, or a 500 Ninja. Used. Here's why -

At some point you are almost certain to drop that bike. Hopefully you won't be on it at the time, or you'll be going slow, so you won't get hurt. Then you're going to find out it's going to cost at least $1000.00 to repair.

Now you have a choice. Do you pay for it out of pocket or file under insurance. If you file, you're still going to have to pay the deductible, and they're almost certainly going to raise your rates even more, maybe to the point where you can't afford it.

Buy a used, less-intense bike up front, and take those thousands you'll save for whatever. A year or two of riding experience will make you more confident, less likely to drop your bike, and cheaper to insure..........:2cents:

Unless he just literally drops the bike in the driveway, its gonna cost more that 1000 dude, trust me.

I didnt drop my bike, havent even come close yet, cause im careful. However, my moms boyfriend damn near totalled it out 8 days after i got it. He paid for it all out of pocket, since my insurance would have dropped me, since I had it for 8 days and it came like 500 bucks shy of being totalled.

I think even we have a bad habit of stereotyping bikers from time to time, even tho we fkn hate it.

The ONLY reason im not jumping down this guys throat is he seems to be smart about it, i mean, yeah its risky if you have no experience at all under your belt buying a new bike. But he KNOWS its easy to wreck so hes taking precautions. He wants the bike, he knows what hes getting himself into, i think he will be fine.

but dude, seriously, if you take one thing away from here on every ride you take, make it this...

DONT EVER GET OVERCONFIDENT. ever.

and remember, these tires are not forgiving. One semi slippery surface and your down. a little spot of oil in a turn, a wet manholecover, even wet paintlines can do ya in. Always watch the road man. Dodge anything other than pavement if its wet, and dont ever ride in rain if ya can avoid it.

Oh, and this may sound dumb, but trust me its not. Take small rides at first, i mean stay on your street and close by until your familiar with how it handles. Pay close attention to what your doing.

The longer the ride, the more exhausted you will become. When that happens, youll find yourself misshifting, hitting the throttle a bit heavy, and just dumb stuff thatll make you think, "what the hell is wrong with me!?"
At that point, put it up for the day.

The gixxer 6 hasnt done me any harm. But again, I cruise more than I really ride hard, cause I know im not ready for all that crazy shit yet.

For the rest of ya...
Instead of just saying, "dude buy a cheaper bike cause your gonna wreck..."

Why dont we offer up some sound tips to help ensure he doesnt.:cool:

Just a thought.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jay22 said:
Unless he just literally drops the bike in the driveway, its gonna cost more that 1000 dude, trust me.

I didnt drop my bike, havent even come close yet, cause im careful. However, my moms boyfriend damn near totalled it out 8 days after i got it. He paid for it all out of pocket, since my insurance would have dropped me, since I had it for 8 days and it came like 500 bucks shy of being totalled.

I think even we have a bad habit of stereotyping bikers from time to time, even tho we fkn hate it.

The ONLY reason im not jumping down this guys throat is he seems to be smart about it, i mean, yeah its risky if you have no experience at all under your belt buying a new bike. But he KNOWS its easy to wreck so hes taking precautions. He wants the bike, he knows what hes getting himself into, i think he will be fine.

but dude, seriously, if you take one thing away from here on every ride you take, make it this...

DONT EVER GET OVERCONFIDENT. ever.

and remember, these tires are not forgiving. One semi slippery surface and your down. a little spot of oil in a turn, a wet manholecover, even wet paintlines can do ya in. Always watch the road man. Dodge anything other than pavement if its wet, and dont ever ride in rain if ya can avoid it.

Oh, and this may sound dumb, but trust me its not. Take small rides at first, i mean stay on your street and close by until your familiar with how it handles. Pay close attention to what your doing.

The longer the ride, the more exhausted you will become. When that happens, youll find yourself misshifting, hitting the throttle a bit heavy, and just dumb stuff thatll make you think, "what the hell is wrong with me!?"
At that point, put it up for the day.

The gixxer 6 hasnt done me any harm. But again, I cruise more than I really ride hard, cause I know im not ready for all that crazy shit yet.

For the rest of ya...
Instead of just saying, "dude buy a cheaper bike cause your gonna wreck..."

Why dont we offer up some sound tips to help ensure he doesnt.:cool:

Just a thought.
Great post. Im tired of everybody saying " oh hes gonna wreck it or oh hes gonna drop it". Im just looking 4 advice on how to ride safe on this thing. Its not like im starting on a 'busa or anything. I realize im gonna have to be careful, but then again you have to be careful on anything w/ 2 wheels. I plan on taking this thing long distances, like 1400 miles in 2 days. Is this possible on this bike??? I for one do not belive ill drop it or wreck it because i know the moment i disrespect the bike, the bike will disrespect me.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i may not agree with your choice of your first bike, and i would like to see you on a better beginner bike like a sv650 or a ex500 but it is your choice and i hope you have made the rite choice. iam glad to see you spent the mony and got decient gear but remember gear will help in a crash but you can still get hurt or die even with good gear keep that in mind when learing and riding always. take small rides at first and slowly work up to the longer rides. 1400 miles in 2 days is a lot of riding and it will take you a long time to get where you will be able to do that hell 1400 miles in 2 days in a cage will wear you down imagine what it would be like on a bike. the longer the ride the more fatuge you will feel, wear ear plugs that will help , keep out of the power band for a long time because if you are not use to it, it could cause you to wreck if you hit it at the wrong time. watch for debree in the road and ride in your limits dont let a squid or a girl get you in trouble by goating you to do something beyond your ability.

now on a side note how did the injurys heal from your wreck on the scooter, any scars and did you go to the er then, you never updated us.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I agree with JBaz, that bike is gonna go down. You are not mature enough to ride it safely, the fact that you refuse to go with a more sensible machine proves it. I admit, I wasnt mature enough for my bike either, but your first crash will quickly set you strait, if you are still alive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You arent gonna want to ride that bike 1400 miles in two days man. Trust me.

If your lookin for a bike to take on long trips like that, this aint it. Then I would reconsider. Youll be so uncomfortable and sore man, your gonna hate it. Hahah!

How did you wreck on a scooter? Like, what happened. Just curious.

Anyways, its up to you to determine what bike you can handle. When I got my first bike last year, I took it slow. Im still taking it slow. I didnt worry about getting a starter bike cause I rode so much when I was a kid. Yes, all bikes are different, but if you have alot of riding under your belt even on dirtbikes, its a start. Simply because you learn alot about yourself on a bike. You learn to respect the machine and not be stupid. I have scars still from 10 years ago on dirtbikes, and that was on gravel. Pavement is not forgiving at all, as opposed to gravel, which gives a bit. So right there I learned what not to do, and I never forgot that lesson.

Alot of people have no riding experience at all and get a sportbike. They go out and get hurt cause they think riding a bike is a piece of cake, they dont respect it, they get stupid and get hurt.

Some people have no riding experience and manage to not drop it. They take it real slow. I ride with a guy on here that did that. Got a gixxer as a first bike, with no riding experience. The guys at the dealer were taking bets that hed drop right there in the parking lot. Hes a great rider now.

I had alot of experience on dirtbikes and other toys. I just took it real slow. My first summer I put about 1000 miles on my bike. Thats it. I kept my trips short and educational. No hauling ass, no trying to be cool. I just rode very conservatively. Im still learning and just now becoming really comfortable on this bike. It takes alot of time.

Only you know if your mature enough to handle the bike. But if you get out there and start hauling ass and taking corners too fast, then you werent ready. Take it easy. Once you take it for its first ride, youll see. These bikes are posessed by the devil man. They are sick.

Oh, and cagers hate bikes. You gotta watch out, cause those damn cars will pull right out in front of you, cut you off, they dont care. And if your speeding, youll never have time to react and save your skin. The only reason im alive is cause I always do the speed limit. So I have time to swerve or stop before I t-bone some asshole pulling out of the mall parking lot 20 feet in front of me.

Do you know anyone who has a bike like that? I would ride with them as often as possible and learn from them, provided they are a good rider.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Holy smokes, you just dont listen do you?

-Should I get a 600 for my first bike, I always wear my gear. Oh, btw, I wrecked my scooter with no gear, can someone help me with all the roadrash?
-No, dont get a 600
-Ok then, I'll get a 600

I mean wtf? All this talk of maturity is starting to get old. Everyone claims they are the most mature person out there. Everyone things they are a better than average driver.
Are you at least going to take the MSF, or are you just saying that to keep the flames down?
I'm so tired of the whole "It only goes as fast as you make it" line. Its true, only if you know how to control it, which as a newbie, by defenition, you wont.

I'm going to make a few predictions
1. I'll be responding to some posts about oversized sprockets in a month or two
2. That bike will be wrecked in 6 months.

So have fun with your new bike. Enjoy. And after a while I'll introduce you to Olson.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts