Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I am going from a 1996 Seca II, that has been piped, jetted, new K+N filter and modified airbox, timing advancer, aftermarket sprockets, wider than stock tires, Barnett Kevlar Heavy Duty clutch, fairing mounted mirrors, and Race-Tec front fork springs...

I have put 19k miles on it is 4 years, and am about to get a new Super Hawk. I wanted something fast, very torque, looks sharp, handles well, and was reasonably priced. Out the door cost is $8169 after all taxes and titles and all that crap...

Now, I want a loud slip-on, that sounds sweet, but will NOT require me to rejet the SuperHawk. I am not worried about increasing performance, I just want it to SOUND better and most of all LOUDER...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Dave

------------------
www.geocities.com\squiresca

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
a local guy has very mean, very loud d&d slipons on his hawk. however he now wants a full system and d&d won't sell him just the header, so he's pissed at them. if you're interested, e-mail your info and maybe he'll sell you his slip-ons so he can buy a full exhaust.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
chris's isn't jetted yet and it runs real good. next time i see him i'll find out if he still looking for a full exhaust and i'll let you know.

------------------
Tony

00 GSX-R750-yellow & black
88 FZR400-krylon black
94 CBR600F2--sold

·
Registered
65 Posts
When piping your SuperHawk, the best bet is to leave the header stock. After speaking to virtually all the major pipe manufacturers, I was told that unless you were doing some major engine modifications, you can't improve on it. Save a little money and just get some cans. In addition, you might want to stay away from Carbon/Kevlar Blend cans. As twins tend to produce more heat than an inline four, the expansion and contraction of the non-metallic wrapping is magnified. Furthermore, carbon fiber and kevlar react opposite under heated conditions, with one contracting and one expanding. I have personally seen bad results (cracking, warping, peeling) on cans made of this combo.

Sound-wise, I have heard the bike with Yoshi's, Two Bros., D & D, Jardine, Moriwaki and MiG's. I took the MiG high-mounts because IMHO they looked the best, but the Two Bros. sounded the best. I live at 4300' elevation and I didn't have to rejet.

According to the local dealer, who also sponsors a VTR racer, you can often get away without the rejet. I've ridden at sea level and all I had to do was adjust the idle down a bit. I guess the giant carbs are a little more forgiving. At the most, you will have to shim your needle a tiny bit. I suggest riding it first and then see if you need to rejet. Good Luck.

------------------
Keep the rubber side down!...STC

[This message has been edited by VTRPilot (edited June 25, 2000).]

P

·
0 Posts
Hey Dave, man I wondered where you had been, and now you come back in with a helluva splash! Congrats on getting a new bike!

Good advice for ya so far, so all I will add is my humble opinion in the looks category - go for high mount pipes. I saw a VTR the other day with high mount Staintune (polished stainless) cans, and it looked soooo sweet. And they sounded great, too. Probably not as loud as some of the D&D and Yoshi pipes I have heard on various twins, but pretty loud and throaty.

------------------
Pete
-Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wise choice young grasshumper. Wait till you drive by a group of Fat Boys on the way to your girls house. You will scare the tattoo's right off ther ass's...

Great choice. On pipes I wen't with TB Carbon series oval's they sound great and don't give off much heat. I would recomend high mounts for looks. Or see if Devil of Black widow makes some underseat cans for it yet. If they did you would be one of the first. But if your looking for cheapness factor stay with aluminum.

Harrynuts

·
Registered
3 Posts
VTR Mods

Dave, Congratulations on you VTR purchase. It appeares that you are on the right track with you wanting to change your pipe set up. I have Yoshis on mine and it needed to be rejetted because it was too lean. Also you may consider removing the PAIR junk (pollution stuff) off of the bike because this will cause it to pop on deceleration, sounding lean. It also appears to run cooler with this stuff removed.
A very good source for ideas and mods for the VTR is www.micapeak.com then go to the registries. It seems that the VTR registry is the largest one, so there are plenty of ideas to be had!

Tony Lopez

98 VTR

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had a super hawk. I installed Yoshimura RS-3 slip-ons. Very nice mellow and deep sound - not too loud, not too quiet. Normally you should adjust the idle mixture screws and shim the needles after you install slip-ons, but my S-Hawk didn't really need anything. The Yoshi's are very well-made, and you save about 10 lbs from the stock cans with the stainless steel slip-ons. You will notice more popping on trailing throttle, but that's only the PAIR valve (air injection system). The stock mufflers are so good at muffling that you don't hear the popping, but the Yoshi's let you hear it. It's normal. The Yoshi slip-ons eliminate the mid-pipe gasket, and they mount bare metal-to-metal. The fit and tolerances are good enough that you don't need the gaskets.

Erion has done extensive testing on the S-Hawk, and their conclusion is that you just can't do any better than the stock headers. Maybe it's a different story once you start modifying the motor and air intake system, but for most applications, the best bet seems to be slip-ons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
slip-ons

I just bought a set of erion racing slip-ons for my '98 vtr. If you are looking for loud, then these are the ones for you. I dread going through small town usa on these. As far as jetting goes, a rule of thumb is jet a full race system and go stock on the slip-ons.
Any bike will run better with a little carb ajust, stock, slip-on or full. A carb ajust ( jet kit ) simply lets you get the most out of your investment. Be warned , you are getting around 100 miles to the tank now, after jetting you may only get around 60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts