Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2001 GSX-R 600. I ordered new sprockets for it -1 front \ +2 rear. The problem I am having is that they sent me +3 for the rear instead of +2 . My stock chain is a RK 525 with 110 links. I put them both on and it seemed that the chain was just to short so I went ahead and just put the front one on. Is it possible to put the -1\+3 setup on with a stock chain? If not what chain should I get or if I send the rear sprocket back and get a +2 will that fit with a stock chain? Just trying to see what my options are.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
-1/+2 should work with the stock chain. If you were going to get a new chain you would have been better off with a 520 all around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan03F4i said:
I have -1+2 and my stock chain fits fine.
Do you think the -1+3 would fit. Like I said I tried it real quick. I'm wondering if I should stop being a baby and rip it apart again to try and fit the sprocket. Just wondered if anyone did it already.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Gearing change vs chain length

I have heard it commonly said that a stock size chain can accomodate, at a maximum, a -1/+2 change. I think, as you are seeing, that a -1/+3 change is too much. You need to add some links.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Gearing change vs chain length

zxrider said:
I have heard it commonly said that a stock size chain can accomodate, at a maximum, a -1/+2 change. I think, as you are seeing, that a -1/+3 change is too much. You need to add some links.
How do you add links to the chain? Do you need a chain cutter\riveter? How safe is it to add links?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
you add links by buying the proper chain...should ordered a 120 link from them.....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Judge said:
you add links by buying the proper chain...should ordered a 120 link from them.....
+1

Adding extra links is a bad idea. And honestly, you won't be able to unless you have an extra chain for a doner.

Still Bad Bad idea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya there is no way that new back sprocket is going to fit on there with the stock chain, just tried it. I am going to send the sprockets back and do it right. I'm going to order a 520 chain, keep the front sprocket the same size and add +6 in the rear. I'm not going to half ass it.. Thanks for all your help guys:D

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
LuckyStrike said:
Less unsprung weight, that's why

yes, less rotational mass as well....you feel a diff....grab a stock R1 chain and then a 520 x-ring from DID....big difference...and the 520 xring has a higher tensile strength than a stock chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts