Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my chain and while I am shopping I was going to check with you all about gearing. Any do any gearing mods to a similar bike? I would like to hear feed back. What they did and if it was too agressive or not agressive enough. Top end isn't really improtant to me... as long as I can still hit 150 I am sure that is enough. I just dont want to be f'in with engine braking all the time. Ya know gearing it so short that every time I let off the throttle it doesn't want to coast free..... Hope you understand what I am trying to say...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I regeared my z1k (The engine is a rebored zx9). Went with a -1 front +2 rear. Overall I would say the mod was worthless. The bike doesnt accelerate any faster (also it does feel like it), abit easier to wheelie of the throttle, and top speed was in the 150's.
Higher rev's at highway speed led to more vibes thru the bars, and engine braking was bad enough that I regularly locked my rear tire downshifting agressivly.
I was followed by a friend in a mustang gt, I was going about 40-50 and when it came time to turn I downshifted instead of braking. And damn near got rear ended.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn... thanks for the info. Do you know what the stock gearing was? I am curious to see what the current sprockes are on it if you went -1 +2 something like 16-47?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The stock front was 16, I went to a 15. The back was in the 40's. I think 44 but I could be wrong. I'll look it up

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ok the z1k uses a 16 front and a 42 rear stock.
The zx9 is a 16 front 41 rear stock.

Which seems really odd. Where does the zx9 top out at? I figure it would be 184-186, which is higher than the z1k, yet it uses lower gearing...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never seen above 174ish on the speedo, but who knows how reliable that is over 100mph. Who really needs more than 150 anyway? My goal is to have great acceleration from 40mph-100mph. The only thing that sucks is the engine braking issue. I really don't want to be f-in with that all the time. I hate down shifting and having wheel chatter. I guess I could upgrade to those fancy clutch systems that are on the new bikes. Or just buy a new bike.... :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Debunk the MYTH! sprockets wont do anything for your acceleration. you could get better times for a certain test (1/4mile) by getting a ration that will allow you to shift less, but thats about it. You want to accelerate faster? get more power out of the engine, or loose a few pounds on the bike or yourself. There is no magic sprocket fix...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. I was figuring that if I geared it differently I could shorten the gears keeping the rpm's higher staying in the higher torqe and hp curves creating quicker accereration. Maybe I am wrong? I have upgraded jetting, exhaust, lost 50lbs off myself..lol.... and had it on a dyno it is cranking out 147hp. The hp curve is a bit funky, it creates all it's power between 8.5-11.5rpm. My goal was to maximize the ride time in these bands when accelerating.

What do you think?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
That plan will work. Buts no different than simply downshifting.
What you will essentially be doing (in an overly simplified sort of way) is giving yourself a new gear below 1st, and having your second for 1st and so on and so on and no 6th gear.
It take 30miliseconds to shift a gear, and you'll save yourself the $150 for sprockets (which wont last as long), increased wear on your chain, and keep your top end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting way to put it..... I will have to do more research I guess. I need a new chain, even thought the rear sprocket looks fine I like to do the whole set at once. Do you know any good places to shop for sprockets and chain kits?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ronayers.com is one of my alltime favorite online stores. Hard to beat their prices.
Is your sprocket steel or aluminum? I always had the sprocket wear out long before the chain started showing damage. But I always had aluminum rear sprockets too...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
LOL. Back to that in a second.
As far as I know there are three types of sprockets. Aluminum, Steel, and Coated aluminum. Ok its not really coated but hard anodized.
Anodizing works by oxydizing the outer layer of aluminum. Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3) is one of the most common ceramics. Ceramics make for a great protective barrier, so long as its thick enough.

As for the kit, I have heard somewhere that they might have reliability problems. This is pure hearsay, and could easily be completely unfounded, but If you are going to dump 2k into your engine I figured you should be warned.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't need a constant headach... :barf:
The kit is under 700 if you turn in your old cylinders.
It's not wort it if I am going to have to consistantly be tearing the damn thing down.

:confused:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont actually know if that kit has problems or not. Might want to try to find a few zx9 guys who used it, and see what they think of it.
To me it seems like an awfull lot of money to dump into a bike (once you add in the labor, unless you plan to do that yourself). But to each his own.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can do the work myself. It will be time consuming but I can giterdone. I just don't want to send my stock cylinders off if it's crap.... and for $700 how else are you gonna add that kind of hp. Unless you do nitrous or turbo which in my opinion much less reliable than a big bore kit. I have done several big bores in my snowmobiles but never on any streetbikes....

Think about it.... it is more than that for a full exhaust system these days......

Know a good place to look for some guys that have used this kit?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Might want to ask around on kawiforums.com

You're right it is cheaper than exhaust.. damn...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
No prob buddy. I'll hang out here and help people out untill my boss catches me :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
damn sprockets

well it's gone and done it!

I have a super crazy vibration and a really noisy chain! I had been playing in a pking-lot the other night doing 1st gear slow wheelies powering them up.... now when I drive down the road it sounds like my bike is shaft drive and their is no lube/bushings....

After further inspection on the bike I decided to take a look at the front sprocket..... DAMN :eek: every tooth on the sprocket was visibly bent! Guess those first gear wheelies will really do it to it!

Since I had the front cover off I checked out what gearing the jack ass put in this damn thing before me. When riding it it was aparent that is was geared way up.... since it max's out at about 140 by my best guess.... the speedo is way off too... it reads 50 when I am going 35 and reads 100 at 82ish.

To my suprise it has a 15t gear on the front and a 46 on the back..... it came stock with 16/41. Talk about a radical change...

Well I need to order chain sprockets today and need some advice... since I am used to that style of gearing and it is mostly a city bike what do you all think? Maybe a 15/43? or 15/42 or even a 16/45 would I that even work? or is the stock the best style for these zx9s? Never ridden one with stock gearing so I don't know?

Thanks HELP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts