Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

i was thinking, why not ad a tread for things to do take care of your gear.

everyone knows (and most ignore) that you shouldn't put your helmet on your mirrors., but did you also know that you shouldn't put in your gas tank. the gas fuses eat away at the syrofoam (sp?).

any others?

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
ol typo tony is at it again!! :D ;)

I think it was supposed to be Fumes from the gas tank eat away at the Styrofoam..

Oil yer leathers regularly ?

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Originally posted by cbrf2boy:

<snip>everyone knows (and most ignore) that you shouldn't put your helmet on your mirrors.,<snip>


Why Not????????? :confused:


------------------
Dave fzR1

"When I grow up... I wanna be a SQUIIIID!"

[This message has been edited by Ratsalad (edited October 15, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Helmet on mirrors. Baaaaaddddd!
The weight of the hanging helmet will cause the foam on the inside of the helmet to be compressed. The way a helmet works is when you hit, the styrofoam compresses to asorb and spread the force of the blow. Thats why manufacturers say get a new helmet when you hit your head on the ground or drop the helmet from chest level. Even if the outside is not scratched the foam may be compressed, and its useful life (one collision) is exceeded. Haven't you ever beaten up the packing on a TV/VCR or other equipment once you remove it from the box? Notice it keeps the form of your fist, foot, head, butt or whatever you fight with?

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

[This message has been edited by funksouljon (edited October 16, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funksouljon:
Helmet on mirrors. Baaaaaddddd!
The weight of the hanging helmet will cause the foam on the inside of the helmet to be compressed. The way a helmet works is when you hit, the styrofoam compresses to asorb and spread the force of the blow. Thats why manufacturers say get a new helmet when you hit your head on the ground or drop the helmet from chest level. Even if the outside is not scratched the foam may be compressed, and its useful life (one collision) is exceeded. Haven't you ever beaten up the packing on a TV/VCR or other equipment once you remove it from the box? Notice it keeps the form of your fist, foot, head, butt or whatever you fight with?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was because the gas fuses eat away at the syrofoam :rolleyes: :D

------------------
Clark

"I like the water gun idea..."~Will "the mad man" Darton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I've had my helmet drop from chest level. Would anyone really replace a helmet after this happens? $$$$

------------------
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Posted by Rug Burn <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I thought it was because the gas fuses eat away at the syrofoam<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on if they a 30 volt fuse :D


Posted by Cloon <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I've had my helmet drop from chest level. Would anyone really replace a helmet after this happens? $$$$<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Cloon don't be such a Clown! ;)

How much is your head worth to you dude ? At the least send it off to get x-rayed ...

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:


How much is your head worth to you dude ? At the least send it off to get x-rayed ...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, send your head off to get x-rayed...if it's cracked, replace it. :D


------------------
Clark

"I like the water gun idea..."~Will "the mad man" Darton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Wow, I had no idea! Where would one go to get a helmat x-rayed? It once fell off a shelf about neck high and I never though twice about it.

C


------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, i really miss the sbw speel ckecher.

sorry fuses only scratch your head when in your helmet. jeez.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

for more ramblings try cbrf2boy
 
P

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Suidwannabe mentioned oiling your leathers, but one thing I tend to neglect is my gloves. I should spend more time treating them with a good cleaner and conditioner.




------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Posted by cloon <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Wow, I had no idea! Where would one go to get a helmat x-rayed? It once fell off a shelf about neck high and I never though twice about it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Send it back to the manufacturer, or bring it to the dealer to further asist you..

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
what about leathers treatment

Seriously though boys, what do you use to protect your leathers and gloves? And by the way does getting your helmet air brushed decrease the structural integrety?
Thanks Lads...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Re: what about leathers treatment

machman said:
...does getting your helmet air brushed decrease the structural integrety?
Thanks Lads...
Only if the fumes are allowed to reach the liner (EPS) material. If the painter tapes everything, especially the vents, there should be no problem. A friend of mine sent his $400+ Arai off for a $200 paint job, and when he got it back it looked like crap- and worse, the vents were all full of overspray! IMO his helmet is now garbage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
TKS

Just wondering anyway. It's not really the type of thing you want to mess around with anyway => your brain. What do you know about leather care. I've thought about using Tana leather spray for boots but would rather use something specific to riding gear... Don't take that other post too personally Tristan, us Maritimers get testy when we have to put our bikes up for the winter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
Re: TKS

machman said:
What do you know about leather care. I've thought about using Tana leather spray for boots but would rather use something specific to riding gear... Don't take that other post too personally Tristan, us Maritimers get testy when we have to put our bikes up for the winter...
Had to look for that "other" post- Wow! I must be in peak form to bring out such violent tendencies. Squids are dangerous when cornered! As for leather care, after hearing how great Lexol was for years I tried it and was underwhelmed. The best stuff I've found is "Tanner's Reserve" (I think). Got it at Wal-Mart I believe. It's a real thick and slimy lotion, but is not greasy after application like mink oils.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top