Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you all? hope we haven't lost any riders, works been so busy I haven't been able to post anything.:crying:
Anyway it's been 13mths since I bought the ninja 250 and it's time to upgrade, Any ideas? I'm after a new sports bike 600 maybe even 1000.
I'm going to be commuting 80 miles a day on it however comfort isn't a must as my arse has plenty of padding.
Was thinking Maybe, ZX-636, GSXR600 or even an R1, the new R6 is looking a little......bare......plasticy(is that a word?) not sure if I like it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys 'n gals.

·
Registered
233 Posts
rooboy said:
How are you all? hope we haven't lost any riders, works been so busy I haven't been able to post anything.:crying:
Anyway it's been 13mths since I bought the ninja 250 and it's time to upgrade, Any ideas? I'm after a new sports bike 600 maybe even 1000.
I'm going to be commuting 80 miles a day on it however comfort isn't a must as my arse has plenty of padding.
Was thinking Maybe, ZX-636, GSXR600 or even an R1, the new R6 is looking a little......bare......plasticy(is that a word?) not sure if I like it.
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys 'n gals.
An R1 would be a BIG step up, make sure you are ready to handle it. Just check out the bikes your interested in and try to test drive a couple if you have access.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
whats your price range? weight? height? I'd say look into a zx-636 or gixxer 600's, but I don't like the look of the 06 gixxers. 600RR's are lacking value in my view unless you can find an insanely good deal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBaz said:
whats your price range? weight? height?
Being from Australia prices may be a bit different but not an issue as I'll just finance the rest.
Weight 240lbs. Height 6ft.
That's my only problem with the 600's is that they are getting so small, thats why I was thinking R1 but the power thing holds me back, I ride like a sensible dickhead now, I'll probably end up a dead dickhead on an R1, don't get me wrong I ride to suite conditions(can't help it if conditions are always so damn good).
And I have had some experience on a 600(ZZR often up to the red).
Thanks for the advice Dan6615 will try a couple of bikes in the next couple of weeks.
:thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Rooboy, the 600's really aren't smaller than the litre bikes. They only weigh about 20lbs less, and have almost identical ergos. Going from a 250 to a R1 is HUGE. Not trying to talk you out of it, just keep in mind size shouldn't be an issue.

If you're too cramped on a race-rep, there's a lot of other sporty bikes out there that may fit you better. For one, the VFR is a sweet bike!:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
If ergo's are an issue, what about some of the naked bikes like the FZ1 or they still have the FZ6 too. I believe most of the manufacterers have a middle weight and litre naked bike. I also would consider a Honda CBR 600F4i. I've owned one and they are great bikes. I'm only 5'10" and weigh 205 and that litttle 600 had no problem thrashing me through the corners and the seat is VERY nice compared to any other sportbike. We have to ride 55 miles to get to the twisties where I live and the F4i handled that with no problem. In fact I'd try to switch with my wife and give her my 600RR cause it had a brick for a seat. She only fell for that once:D

+1 on the VFR too. Awsome bike that has available luggage for longer trips!

·
Registered
264 Posts
You are making a mistake if you go from a 250 to an R1. They don't even compare. Consider that if you give a little to much throttle in a corner, the rear wheel will spin and put you on your ass. I just went from an R6 to a zx12r, and its like learning how to ride all over again. Shit happens so much quicker, the bike is heavier, and the brakes are a lot touchier.

·
Registered
609 Posts
psudy said:
You are making a mistake if you go from a 250 to an R1. They don't even compare. Consider that if you give a little to much throttle in a corner, the rear wheel will spin and put you on your ass. I just went from an R6 to a zx12r, and its like learning how to ride all over again. Shit happens so much quicker, the bike is heavier, and the brakes are a lot touchier.
You're right. Even going from my carb'd Katana 600 to my fuel injected, tourquier VFR 800, it took me a little while to get decent throttle control. And that jump is nowhere CLOSE to going from a 250 to R1. You're talking a HP increase from 30 to 150+!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yeah, when I made the switch from carbed 600 to FI 600, man, lot more explosive powerband and then I flipped the bike. hehe.

Anyhow, what is your area like? Lots of straights? City? curves? good paved roads or crappy ones? I'd say get a 600. Just as fast acceleration as liter bikes and an easier learning curve when leaning. Even though you can lean with the 250, but even then, it has its limits.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Guys

Thanks for all the advice guys, think I'll leave the R1 out of the picture at the moment and go with a 600 although I like the nakeds "xtreme1k" like the FZ1 and FZ6 but prefer the fully faired sport bikes, Sat on a ZX636 today when I took my bike in for a service and it felt good, I like the riding position, the only problem was it's a bit hard to see the Instruments panel.
JBaz the roads I'll be taking are varied if I'm in a hurry I'll go the freeway Straight in to town, but if I feel like a bit of a ride I'll go via the hills route(some of the best roads in South Australia) Twisties, Sweepers, Great surface, it's 40 miles from the city so not much traffic in and it's easy to overtake.
And I love the VFR800 but not sure about the linked brakes, I use the back brake a lot when going hot into a corner.:thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't even notice the linked brakes. It only applies one out of four calipers(or something). I've never heard a VFR owner complain about it, so I wouldn't let that steer you completely away. And it's a bike you can ride ALL day, very comfortable, and still plenty of power. Search some info on vfrdiscussion.com.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rooboy, are you buying new? Really, the new sport 600s are really almost as fast as the liter bikes. Don't base your decision on engine size alone. Coming from your current bike, the weight will feel strange. Ride something "heavy" and see what you think.

·
Registered
892 Posts
clutchslip said:
Rooboy, are you buying new? Really, the new sport 600s are really almost as fast as the liter bikes. Don't base your decision on engine size alone. Coming from your current bike, the weight will feel strange. Ride something "heavy" and see what you think.
agreed, going fast in a straight line is fun. But the twisties are where its at :thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've taken all your advice and taken a VFR800 & an R6 for a spin, the VFR was the most comfortable and almost tore my arms out of their sockets......Often, but compared to the R6 it's easier to ride and better suited for my commute each day(40miles), the R6 on the other hand felt real sporty...Duh! You know what I mean more my kind of style of riding even though I wasn't game to open her up in the suburbs(no time to take it to the twisties). My wife want's me to get the VFR, the sales man couldn't get here of the bike, there's something about a grown woman making Vrooom Vrooom noises while twisting the throttle on the showroom floor that makes me think she likes it.
Anyway with the weather getting rather wet lately I might just leave it a few more months, I prefer to get the old bike dirty for a while longer.
Thanks for all the advice. Great help guys.:D :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Hijack!!!
VFR owners. How would you feel about a 2k mile road trip. How long would you think it would take? I'm finding myself wanting to make long trips, and the zx10 has about 800mile/day max, and even then, I wouldnt want to ride for two or 3 days in a row...
Will sport tourers do better? Or is that stricktly goldwing territory?

And I dont mean just ride 1000 miles in a day (I've done that on the Z1000), I mean do that and not induce several days worth of sore muscles...

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
G'day Rooboy, sorry I'm late. Good to see you back and heading for bigger and better things.

I've heard nothing but good things about the VFR. The ZZR 600 I had was great to ride. Almost exactly the same size as the 250, so it was just a weight and power increase, instead of getting used to a whole new bike.

I can't get past the looks of the early 2000 ZX-6's. Love everything about them and will probably go that way when we can afford to go back to being a two-bike family again.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I think you have begin to realize that going from a little 250cc to a 1000cc like the R1 sportbike is just a BIT to large of a jump. Why not take a look at the Suzuki SV-650 or possibly the SV-650s, but then the Kwacker Ninja 650R, totally new this year, would be a few good bikes. Still if you might like a 750 four then look at the Kwacker Z750s with the latter not fully sportbike class & so not with an explosive engine under you. Pity is Suzy dropped a similar 750.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Vash said:
Hijack!!!
VFR owners. How would you feel about a 2k mile road trip. How long would you think it would take? I'm finding myself wanting to make long trips, and the zx10 has about 800mile/day max, and even then, I wouldnt want to ride for two or 3 days in a row...
Will sport tourers do better? Or is that stricktly goldwing territory?

And I dont mean just ride 1000 miles in a day (I've done that on the Z1000), I mean do that and not induce several days worth of sore muscles...
1000 miles in a day? Damn man, I can't even picture that. That's about 15 hours of straight riding!(at "normal" speeds)

I've only put over 400 on my bike in a day. I never get sore at all, just tired from being out long.

I think the VFR is just a great combo of sport and comfort. It's not a complete upright seating position, just enough where you're not straining your neck, back, wrists, ect. Plus it's smooooth. It'll definitely tour better than a race rep, but it's still not anything like a Wing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Finally! A bigger bike, it's not new but with the new house getting near completion had to go cheaper, wife & house gave me a reality check, said I could upgrade in a year or two though, better than a straight out NO!
Anyway It's an 99 with 28,000miles on the clock, most of them country miles and I know it's history, mate bought it from new sold to Friend out in the country because of new family starting up. Got it for a great price $6000AU Average price over here is about $8500AU:thumb: . Great fun to ride and i'm not even at the sweet spot yet, still getting used to it, but it make freeway traveling a breeze compared to the GPX250.

And thanks again for all you sugestions, I didn't ignore them it's just that the opportunity was to good to refuse, I was set on a 600 until she came along.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts