Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My mom. Screw you, just a new person's question. I read the manual and didnt see anything i just remember getting on the 1000 and it saying premium only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhhhhh there is always some strange abbreviation for somethin lol... The dealer gave me the wrong MOM so i dont know.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
may be a little more performance, probably negligible since these are high-performance bikes anyway. if you get race or higher octane aviation fuel, the difference is somewhat noticeable.

as far as mileage go, I get about 10-15 miles extra per tank if I use premium regardless of riding style. all my riding has been on the street, so I could expect a little better on the freeway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
jrog24 said:
My mom. Screw you, just a new person's question.
bwahahaha!

I know that cars use higher octane fuel when they have more advanced timing, higher compression, and/or forced induction. higher octane fuel is harder to ignite and thus burns slower. which makes me laugh at the ricers in their civics with 91 octane stickers on their gas lid, when they have relatively stock engines. higher octane in an engine designed for 87 will not make more power, it would more likely hurt performance.

basically it comes down to what the bike's engineers say, i.e. in the owners manual. but if it runs fine on 87 and doesnt ping(detonate, knock etc.), then run 87

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Z_Fanatic said:
may be a little more performance,

I always thought that too. 2 weeks ago when the gas price skyrocketed, I started putting 87 in my bike. I noticed a SEVERE power increase. I wish I had the money for a few dyno pulls so I had the proof on paper. I couldnt believe it... it goes against everything I was taught.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Have same bike, Minimum octane rating 89. Regular will be fine.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
I always thought that too. 2 weeks ago when the gas price skyrocketed, I started putting 87 in my bike. I noticed a SEVERE power increase. I wish I had the money for a few dyno pulls so I had the proof on paper. I couldnt believe it... it goes against everything I was taught.
believe it or not, this is also natural when you switch back and forth after a while. though I didn't notice it when I switched on the bike, but it was apparent on my car. but as your power increase, expect your mileage to go down using regular.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
http://rc51.org/fuel.htm

Basically it's different for every bike. Some do better with the high grade, some do better with the low grade. Your bike can run on any grade that doesn't cause knocking/pinging. Personally I go for the cheapest stuff I can. Sure, I might get 1-2 more ponies out of the higher grades (then again, I may get a 1-2 hp loss too), but regardless, who can actually notice a few hp on normal street riding? 90+% of us can't tap 75% (probably more like 50%) of the performance our bikes are capable of, and we're worried about a couple of horsepower? :huh:

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I run 87 octane in my bike and I do fine. In fact it runs a little better than premium. Just don't put diesel in it....lol

Spicer's right...you won't be able to notice anything anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts