Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on storing my bike for the winter and to use gas stabilizer....How do i use the stabilizer? Do i add it to the existing gas or do i drain my gas? Can i ride with the stabilizer in the tank or must i drain it? Also any tips with the battery tender is appreciated...

G

·
Fill the tank with gas, add stabilizer according to the directions on the bottle, go for a ride to get the stabilized gas through the entire system, top off tank (you may need to add a little more stabilizer depending on how much gas you burned while riding). There should be no need to drain the stabilized gas out.

G

·
Pete said:
Fill the tank with gas, add stabilizer according to the directions on the bottle, go for a ride to get the stabilized gas through the entire system, top off tank (you may need to add a little more stabilizer depending on how much gas you burned while riding). There should be no need to drain the stabilized gas out.

Listen to this guy Pete, He really knows what he is talking about when it comes to STORING his bike :D:D:D ..
Pete can also give you tips on decorating your bike for xmas ... They don't get a treeSince the bike is already in the livingroom ...

·
Registered
517 Posts
How long do you need to be storing a bike to worry about using stabilizer? Over winter, I may only use a tank a month, but I haven't ever kept battery on charger or used Sta-Bil or anything. Are you guys talking months?

G

·
jrm said:
to top

How long would you have to be storing bike w/o riding to bother with stabilizer???
jrm, there's a good article on the deterioration of gasoline somewhere on the internet that will specifically address your question; I'll try to relocate it for you. If I recall correctly, it's something like 3 weeks before gas starts to through the slow process of "going bad". Doesn't sound like you have much to worry about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just recently fired up a scooter that had been sitting with a half tank for 5 years! It fired right up and ran great, I couldn't believe it. But thats a rare case. I'd feel safe letting my bike sit 3 months without worring about stabilizer. The most important thing you can do if it's gonna sit is to crack the drains on the carbs and empty the float bowls. A tank full of gas will take a long time to turn in to crap, but the tiny amount in the bowls will gum up and clog your jets fairly quick.
justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts