Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a post about a Yamaha FZR 400 that raises my interest. After looking around for information (and used bikes) I have some questions.
All that i hear about these bikes is how great they are and that they are kind of hard to find. If they are so popular, how come Yamaha doesn't offer them anymore?
Are they much smaller than a cbr600F4? (my current bike)
Are they hard to find parts for?
Does anyone know of any FZR 400's for sale?

I'm 5'4" tall (or short depending on how you look at it) and if I could find a bike that is a little smaller than my 600 I would consider making a change.
By the way, I don't like the smaller Ninja's--250 and 500, Suzuki GS 500's.
Seat height is the biggest factor, so bikes like the SV650 put me in the same position as my CBR. (Tippy-toed)

Since going 160 mph isn't my biggest concern I'd consider a smaller displacement bike to carve turns on.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Is this for a track bike? If so, check out your local racing organizations web site. They usually have classifieds where you are likely to find one for sale. I live in WA so I went to http://www.wmrra.com and http://www.omrra.com (Oregon's) and found several FZR400's that were already track prepped with some spares. Prices vary but the ones I found were in the $2000 range and were from around '89 or '90. Which may be a little old for a raced bike but one came with a freshly rebuilt motor. As far as the rest of your questions I don't know. I'm sure someone else in here will have an answer for you though.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
While I think the 400 is a great track bike (I raced one for 3 years) I would not consider one as an every day bike. Stick with your F4 for street use.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
did someone say 400

how can i stay out this one?

a 400 can make a good streetbike if you never do any commuting. if you're interested i know of a mear-mint (owned by an experienced, adult rider) for 3500 in pa (go to my webpage, hit pictures, it's the streetable 400 on the page).

if you want a track bike, like mine, expect to pay 1600-3600.

for 1600 or less, you get basically a near stock suspensed, sucked in valves, an ovaled steering head, dented frame, etc.

3600 will buy you the old aod (spacer-plate) 560, with pm wheels, flatslides, etc.

3500 should get you a yzf cranked, 600 cyclindered (f2/3 wheeled and forks) 560. the yzf crank is more dependable than the spacer plate.

my 400 was only 2200 (the guy had a deal on an sv going and expert plates on the way). he wanted 2700 for it and this season seems better for sellers than last.

24-2800 should get you
.5 or 1mm over bore (1mm over is legal in ccs for ss)
fresh supersport legal head (maybe even cheater)
stock forks (but race tech stuff)
stock wheels
minimal spares

egroups.com has an fzr400 mailing list. a good place to find 400's. that's where i found mine.
-----------------------------------
BIRD, the 400 was only imported from 88-90, that's why they're all so old. they are quite dependable. they only suck in intakes and eat up regulators (about $40)

[Edited by cbrf2boy on 11-10-2000 at 06:48 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I got it. I was thinking about a street bike and not racing. Thanks for setting the record straight.
--ger

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to join in here too! I wanted my little 400 since I was 16 and I have never regretted buying it. I ride mine for fun and transport and I think it's fine for both. My buddies all laugh at it, but it isn't so funny when I am lounging having my first cup of coffee while they come rolling in sweaty and breathless after leaving the twisties. "HA!" I say, "HA HA!" I'm 5'6" and all of about 150 lbs. I can flat foot the thing no problem. It's a bit underpowered, but it does everything it was designed to do perfectly. I love it as a commuter. It's light, completely manueverable and very forgiving in tight traffic situations. Parts are available and relatively cheap, but be prepared to order everything as no parts are just sitting around on shelves. Aftermarket exhausts are not to be had either. I can't find any, but I have been told with proper jetting that one can use a can for a 600. I have never verified this.

If you have the cash, I say go for it! You will never have a problem selling it if you don't like it...but you will!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello,

Everytime I see an FZR400 thread I feel terrible. This is because I owned a 1990 FZR400. It bought it new from the dealer for 6800. I could have bought the 600 but my riding buddy told me to go with the 4 and I am glad I did too.

It was an awesome bike. Sunday morning rides were killer as I was able to easily keep up with the bigger bikes. Those things were fat pigs compared to the FZR with its aluminum frame and high revving engine. 15,100 redline if I remember correctly.

I had the California model with the EXUP valve. I bought a passenger seat for a 49 state bike and had to carve out part of the cushion so that the seat would fit over the EXUP pulley system which was located in the rear section. I took out "chicks" on my FZR all of the time but the bike did not like city riding. It would run hot in traffic. And the hills would really cause it to slow down when packing a person.

I eventually sold it when I found the right girl. I needed a more comfy rear seat for her. I bought an F2 in '94. I sold my perfect condition FZR... never raced on the track... never dumped... never modified... (except for the VH pipe that I eventually dumped to return to stock)... blue and black Sunday morning sleeper for $3600.00 with a 1 piece matching Dainese suit and boots.

I rode that bike all over the place. Even on overnight trips to Yosemite with a pack on the rear for a sleeping bag. Yes it was small for the highways but if you love the bike it really doesnt matter. I also commuted 80 miles a day on it rain, wind and of course sunshine. It had 30,000 + miles when I sold it. I remember the look on the faces of the two guys who came to look at the bike. There jaws dropped when they saw it all detailed out. Sold it to the first phone caller and I received calls for over 6 months after that.

Anyway, I wonder if that bike is still around or in many pieces on many other FZR's. At least I still have a blow up poster size photo of my bike when it was new. It is framed an on the wall of my motorsports room downstairs.

Hmmmmmm.....:(

Miguel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts