Sportbike World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While heading home on friday, I see a sign on the highway titled "Summer Stomp" and a picture of a bike on it. Having nothing better to do, I wheeled off the road and took off to the site.
Well, as soon as I got there, I knew I was out of place. Looked like Harley heaven. A sea of black, chrome, and beer guts assaulted my eyes.
Having nothing better to do (and always taking the option to piss off harley riders), I paid the entrance fee, and wheeled in and parked in line, immediately drawing glares of disgust, hehe.
Was about 350 bikes there. Would say about 85% harleys, 10 percent japanese cruisers and imitations (goldwings, magnas, vstars), and the last 5% being BSAs and a coupel triumphs. I was one of 3 sportbikes there.
Was a fun three day blast. Lots of events, lots of showing off (ahh, the sweet smell of someone burning off thier back tire), and a lot of good people. Luckily, the majority of people there werent too concerned with what a person was riding. As long as you were on two wheels, it was all good.
I did take a lot of ribbing about my bike. Favorite terms of jap crap abounded. Quite a few shots at my riding outfit were taken too, but I didnt pay them much mind looking around at the surprisingly high number of injured HD riders with road rash all over.
Did have quite a few take more of an interest in my bike after the first beer run was made. I set out with about 10 other riders to the closest store. Course when everyone started up thier hogs, the only way I had to tell that my bike was still running was by goosing the gas to see if the bike was on, was so noisy. So we all take off like a bat out of hell and rip to the store. Was a decent clip along the back roads at around 120kmh, but cornering they were slowing down to 60ish. After about ten mins I took off from the front of the pack and started aggressively cornering and pulling away. When they caught up to me at the store, there were 8 guys in the pack of us who had never been on a sportbike before and didnt know they cornered that well. Couple wanted to take a test ride so they lit out on my bike leaving me riding thier HDs. While they liked the handling of the sportbike, I detested the handling of thiers, hehe. I am a big twistie fan, and after riding thier bikes even just the little bit I did, it reinforced my opinion to never get one.
Weather was a little crappy on saturday with lots of rain, but didnt dampen anyones enthusiasm. No fights (but lots of sumo beer gut bumping), and only 1 rider had to go to the hospital for a broken arm when he crashed in one of the obstacle races.
So met a lot of good people, saw a lot of really sweet custom bikes and paint jobs, decent bands and lots of partying. While I enjoyed it, I know I will have more fun at the SBW rally end of august in kelowna. I just find sportbike rallys more fun because thats the kind of bikes I love and ride =)

Later,
Dan

·
Registered
296 Posts
Right On!

That's pretty cool, bro! We don't really have any rallies around here, (especially sportbike rallies), except for the occasional Hardley-Ableson get-together. There's a decent size one in late summer called the Bean-Blossom-Boogie, where, about 4 years ago, everyone at the rally chipped in $25 and they purchased a brand new ZX-7 from one of the local shops. They then took the bike back to the rally point and raise it up with a crane, (don't know where that came from), and dropped it on the ground... smashing it pretty bad. A bunch of them then took bats and whatever else they could find, and pummelled the poor, defenseless Kawi till it's last breath. I guess that is supposed to be symbolic..."If you can't beat 'em...kill 'em before you have to compete".....or something like that.:(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts