Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the daughter of my sister's bf is down here in Ocala FL for horseshow right now and i promised her i'd take a trip up and meet cuz she's always askin about me.:dunno: She's 18 i'm 19

Anyways it's 240 miles and a 3 1/2 hour trip according to mapquest...the question is do a take the bike (03 CBR600F4i), or do i drive my turbo charged miata...? Neither would be too comfortable considering my suspension is stiff as hell on the miata. The only thing that makes me think twice about the bike is that the trip alone up/back would be more miles than i've even put on the bike yet...and i'm also 6'1. I'm not uncortable on the freeway at all but this is easter weekend, i'd be leaving early friday morning. The car is already sounding like it'd be better suited but i really want some solid time on my bike.

What do you guys think?...am i gonna need a wheel chair when i get off the bike in Ocala?

·
Registered
609 Posts
What's the longest you've ridden the bike? You JUST started riding, right?

Well there's nothing wrong with taking the bike, you obviously want to enjoy it as much as possible. Couple of quick tips on how to keep comfortable, you want to take as much strain off your hands/wrists and back as possible.

When being new to riding, I think it's common for a newbie to grip the handlebars too tight. Not speaking for you, but when I started, the highway made me a little nervous and looking back I was too tense. You want to grip the bars VERY lightly, use your legs to grip the tank, your midsection to keep your upper body up, and take as much weight off the arms as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

Besides, chicks dig bikes!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slaps76 said:
What's the longest you've ridden the bike? You JUST started riding, right?

Well there's nothing wrong with taking the bike, you obviously want to enjoy it as much as possible. Couple of quick tips on how to keep comfortable, you want to take as much strain off your hands/wrists and back as possible.

When being new to riding, I think it's common for a newbie to grip the handlebars too tight. Not speaking for you, but when I started, the highway made me a little nervous and looking back I was too tense. You want to grip the bars VERY lightly, use your legs to grip the tank, your midsection to keep your upper body up, and take as much weight off the arms as possible. Hope this helps a bit.

Besides, chicks dig bikes!

Take the bike or not you just made this thread worth while for me in one post haha. Today i noticed really for the first time that my right hand was getting kinda sore no matter how lightly i gripped the throttle...gripping the tank more with my legs and keeping the weight off my hands as much as possible makes all the sense in the world. Kinda makes me want to go for a ride right now and try it out haha

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hear you...wish someone told me this stuff when I started. As well as those tips, your body will adjust over time and get used to the little things that cause aches also.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I wouldn't take the bike if I were you. The traffic around orlando and ocala is absolutly nuts. I hate driving my cage through there when I drive up to see my dad. You gunna be in traffic alot of the way and your gunna get hot. I did do a ride to my dads once, it was fun... until I got off. But then again... Slaps is right... chicks love bikes. If there is a chance for bouncy bouncy then by all means, take the bike. Just take it easy and arrive in one piece.

Sepias

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't know anything about the traffic but in my opinion I think you should take the bike :) It would be a nice learning experience and I think it's good to get long trips in. You'll have a better feel for things and I think your endurance on a bike would be better if you had gone on long trips.

·
Registered
217 Posts
where are you in Florida? that matters a lot. what i would do is make a day trip out of it. id get the "scenic" route from mapquest and stay off the major roads. it wont be as crowded. you'll have more fun. you wont get the tunnel vision of i-75 or i-4 or whatever interstate you have to be on.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
240 miles? I'd take the bike. Of course, if its your first long ride, its going to seriously hurt ya, but you gotta get that out of the way.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I Went from San Diego to Las Vegas on my yzf 600r it sucked ass about 2 hours into it. Then on my 1000rr last weekend made a 150 mile loop, that really hurt. I've never ridden an F4i, but a lot of it comes down to the bike. Now I know that the rr seat really is hard as a rock.

Anyone try a kidney belt or back support when riding long trips?

I might invest in some padded shorts. (look in dirt bike mags)

-M-

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would definately take the bike, 250 miles is nothing. When you get there youre ass will hurt, youre legs will be stiff, youre arms sore, thats half the fun. The more you ride the more youll get used to it and be able to go further comfortably. When you get there you will feel satisfied, as you have accomplished youre first big ride. Maybe im weird, but im the same way when it comes to snowboarding for instance, i like the day after my first day of the year. Im sore as hell, it makes the experience last that much longer, and I know im that much more conditioned for the next time i go.

·
Registered
329 Posts
As I re-read youre post i must comment that this is youre sisters, boyfriends daughter, who is youire age and has been asking about you. Save yourself a trip to Jerry Springer and take the Miata, if you go at all.:twofinger :twofinger !! Sorry I couldnt resist.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi FloridaMX5-

If you ultimately decide to take the motorcycle rather than the car, you might want to see if you can get yourself a nice supportive Corbin saddle before the roadtrip. If you can possibly get your hands on an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, you're in even better shape for the journey.

If you need to carry a rollaway bag or a wide variety of clothes, the decision will have been made for you in favor of the car. If you can take the motorcycle, it will be your first long and memorable trip and will absolutely provide good memories that you'll always remember. I can still recall my first ride across a couple states to the seashore...and the butterflies that were in my stomach before departure. Let us know what you decide.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I remember my first ride to my dads quite well... My mom followed me the whole way... it sucked horrible. I had to go 10 under or else she got pissed:twofinger

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
bluey:
Its only 250 miles each way. A backpack will work just fine. And while corbin saddles are very nice and comfy, it seems like an overkill

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

That's precisely what I'm saying...I don't know what kind of clothes FloridaMX5 needs to have along for the weekend. If he is going to a blacktie affair one night, followed by a business-casual luncheon the next day, and scuba diving with his own equipment on the third day...he won't be able to carry it all on a scoot. If it's shorts and tee-shirts all weekend, it'll be a piece of cake.

You're absolutely correct...the stock saddle would be fine for this particular journey. The investment in a Corbin saddle will provide payback again and again over the years in terms of overall improved comfort. I can't say enough positive things about this saddle on my bike. It even allows for an easier reach to the ground due to the way it's contoured.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Something tells me MX5 cringes at the words "Blacktie affair"
And the image of someone riding along the freeway in a scuba suit still has me snickering....

To me, corbins are a no go. Nothin bad to say about their quality (they are really good saddles. Very comfortable. Quality work), but $400 could go to modifications I consider more important (and there is always one of those), and I dont tour near as much as I used to, hell I barely even commute anymore. But to each his (or in this case hers) own.

Scuba... LOL

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vash said:
Something tells me MX5 cringes at the words "Blacktie affair"
And the image of someone riding along the freeway in a scuba suit still has me snickering....

To me, corbins are a no go. Nothin bad to say about their quality (they are really good saddles. Very comfortable. Quality work), but $400 could go to modifications I consider more important (and there is always one of those), and I dont tour near as much as I used to, hell I barely even commute anymore. But to each his (or in this case hers) own.

Scuba... LOL
Haha that's quite good perception you have there vash:twofinger

And about that other comment...it's my half-sister's bf's daughter, no way that'd quailfy me for Springer!!

If i do go, i will deffinitely take the bike and maybe hit up some alternative highway routes. I'm gonna give my sis a call and see if i get my ass chewed by stayin here in West Palm. No matter what tho i'm taking atleast a decent couple hour riding trip this weekend...4 days off of school and all are supposed to be nice and sunny...can't get much better than that (more comfortable yes).

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

"...My name is ex-Governor Jim McGreevey and I believe all Americans should occasionally take the alternative highway route...especially if in Key West..."

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 20 of 57 Posts