Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a question - I've noticed that quite a few riders turn the fuel cock off when they've finished with their bikes for the day. What's with that?
I can understand that if they were putting the bike in storage or something like that, but just for the day?
Is it to stop fuel syphoning into the combustion chamber or what?

cheerz all.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My VTR is petcockless, but on my previous bikes I would turn the fuel off so if some prick stole the bike he would soon run out of gas. I've heard no other reason to turn it off daily.

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
I never turn mine off, and can't think of any reason to on a daily basis. In fact most of the time I forget and leave it on reserve. (I know I'm gonna pay for that one day) ;)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I don't have one, I've got a low fuel light. I always forgot to switch my F2 on and off reserve and my dumbass pushed it more than once to a gas station. Makes sense to turn it off to slow a thief down though. Mechanically shouldn't make a difference since there is already some left over in the combustion area and below the petcock in the fuel system as soon as the motor is shut off.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
outa gas ....

I usually remember to turn mine from RES to ON when I fuel up. It goes with resetting the trip meter. That's habbit because Honda don't seem to have made putting a fuel gauge in the instrument panel of their sportbikes a priority.
I've run out of gas three times though - the first two times I was on reserve with the mentality - 'I should have enough to get to 'B', I'll refuel tomorrow'. Oppppps. But it was around town, so it was never far to the nearest gas station.
The last (and most recent) time I ran out I was in the middle of nowhere. I was riding home from up country in the middle of the night. It didn't occur to me that my usual fuel stations between Waiouru and home wouldn't be open. I got about 22k from the 24hr station at Bulls. I pushed it for 2k (up a hill too!) before someone legend guy stopped and he had some gas in a jerry can in the back of his ute. Legend! I was soooooooo greatful.

Haven't run out since :D

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
After I installed the Factory jet kit on my bike (now totalled), I reassembled everything and went to start it, only to find out that no matter how much choke/throttle I gave it, the mutha wouldn't start. As I started to disassemble, I remembered that devious little valve under the tank, turned it back to "on" position, and began tuning. That's the only time I ever forgot to give my machine fuel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bugger

Quote,
The last (and most recent) time I ran out I was in the middle of nowhere. I was riding home from up country in the middle of the night. It didn't occur to me that my usual fuel stations between Waiouru and home wouldn't be open. I got about 22k from the 24hr station at Bulls. I pushed it for 2k (up a hill too!)

Ok, many guys on this board are not going to know where Waiouru & Bulls are. Your a brave man running out of gas on that road, nothing for bloody miles.:)

Did you go to the track day at Manfield on Sunday? I was going to go but ran out of time to prep my bike.

Ross
CBR 1100xx

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Pete said:
Tristan said:
...petcockless...
Confucious say, "Man who screws pigs petcockless."
This really hurts- I try to provide a little helpful info to a fellow rider only to be made fun of! On the count of three let's all grow up just a little...1...2...3...Bite me!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Bugger

Ross said:
Quote,
Ok, many guys on this board are not going to know where Waiouru & Bulls are. Your a brave man running out of gas on that road, nothing for bloody miles.:)

Did you go to the track day at Manfield on Sunday? I was going to go but ran out of time to prep my bike.

Brave had nothing to do with it! Did you know that Bulls is the only petrol station open after midnight after Waiouru? I didn't! Not even Taihape is open :(
I was sooooo grateful to the guy who stopped and gave me a couple of litres!

I never seem to find out when the trackdays for Manfield are! Not that I could have gone this last weekend anyway - my mum was getting married, so I thought I'd better turn up there! ;)
Do you know when the next trackday is?

Cheers!

[Edited by Blackbird on 10-25-2000 at 05:07 PM]

·
Registered
137 Posts
Summer is here:)

I'll find out, and keep you posted.

We should catch up at some stage and have a Sporbikeworld "downunder" :):)

Ross
CBR1100xx

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
In the olden' days, bikes had just one line coming out of the petcock, the fuel line. If you didn't shut the line off while sitting - gravity would draw the fuel slowly down into the motor. I never heard of them hyrdaulocking but I have heard reports of Explosions before. What the manufacturers did the was to put a vacuum line from the carbs or the intake into the petcock along with the fuel line. The vacuum line opens up a valve that alows the fuel to pass through when the engine is turning, so on these models there is no need to shut the petcock off.

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-26-2000 at 09:09 AM]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Mongrel - I wasn't in anyway disputing what you had stated, by the nature of it - I'm sure it happens. I just never heard of the scenario. I'm sure they've had reports of busted pistons and rods also then, if the starter has any ass to it. I wonder...

·
Registered
741 Posts
The only reason I can see for this is maybe to thwart people from stealin it that may not know about motorcycles?? Just a thought.... I don't do it, but have thought about it after people asking what that little knob was!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Re: Summer is here:)

funksouljon said:
Ross said:

Ross
CBR1100xx
You can ride from here to there?
Yep, I only live about 1 1/2 hours away from Blackbird.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Ross, I was talking about those of us from upover to be able to ride downunder. We could get a group discount to transport and go ride in Aussy land. That would be a trip! I want to meet the crocodile hunter and his wife Terry!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Summer is here:)

Ross said:
I'll find out, and keep you posted.

Ain't the summer weather beautiful? :)
Cheers about Manfield Ross!

Sportsbikeworld downunder ... hmmm need more people :D
You going to the Cemetery Circuit on Boxing Day? I was planning to go to it last year, but a cage driver put me in hospital for a few days and put an end to that idea.

Laters!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Boxing Day

Hmm, not sure about Boxing day, I might be in Tauranga.
All the family live there, so Christmas is normally spent there.

Went to Wanganui the year before last, great day and you can get real close to the action.:)

Still waiting on dates from my contact. (fellow co-worker who's hubby races A grade & unlimited classes, oh and also 150's as well, you may have heard of him, Derek McAdam.)

Cheers
Ross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts