Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I was wondering what up with front tire size? I have a worn out 120/70/17 on my F4. I just wanna know the pro's and con's of going with a different size tire. And of course what brand!!!! I have a "azaro" avon on the rear.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Sets of tires are made for each other, so I am not a big fan of mixing them.

I personally like the Dunlop D207's myself.

·
Registered
380 Posts
just replaced my tires with Michelin Pilot Sports. Went with stock sizes 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear. Rode home last night on them, 40 degrees and slick new tires isn't the best combination. Still, I could definitely tell a difference from the Dunlop 204's....turned in faster and smoother on what little corner carving I did. I can't wait till Spring rolls around to fully take advantage of them...damn this cold weather.

[Edited by inanima on 11-17-2000 at 01:25 PM]

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have run different brand tires at the same time with no problems. I did like the Dunlop 207 tire the best. very sticky and I never slid even with cold tires. The Metzeler tires - MeZ 2 & 3, will slide around when cold. You can practice spinning and sliding like the literbikes. I just bought a new set of Metezeler MeZ 4's. I was wanting to get the new Bridgestone 020's for my next set of tire's, but I could not beat the price on the MeZ 4's. I have not tried the Avon brand tire.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Question...

Do they make different Dunlop 207's? Mine suck on my ZX6 very unpredictable when they break loose. Might be my suspension needing to be dialed to my riding style, but still, I've almost put it down 3 times now due to front end plowing at very low speeds.

I used the old Metzler Comp K's, guess this dates me, and loved them. Stuck hard even in the rain. I've never swapped brands front/back either "they" say it's not a good thing to do. Not sure who "they" are though.

Oh well,
Burt

G

·
Tire Pressure?

Burt, have you checked your tire pressure lately? I know that may sound like a stupid question, but we all have brain farts at times. From what I can recall of past discussions, there are now only two types of 207s, the Sportmax line for the street, and the GPs for the track. Which do you have? What condition are they in? Is the front tire cupped (scalloped)? Are they slipping *after* they have been warmed up?

Are there *any* roads in your area that you'd expect a tire to stick to? :D

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Confusion, confusion, confusion...

All this talk about tires lately has me in a world of confusion. This whole time-frame that I haven't riden since July I've had my mind made up about putting Pilot Sports on for my next set of tires, and now I'm not sure. Thanks guys ;) You guys have me thinking about the BT010's now. Of course we all want the best in quality of rubber and I guess it really comes down to your riding techniques and preference what you want out of a tire.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have not tried out the Dunlop 207 on the front, yet. My experience is the rear tire and I never had a problem with it's grip. But, also remember that each bike is different and that the grip that is needed to go around the same corner on various bikes is different. I push my front tire to the edge, on my SMR's, and they are controllable even under the Katana. But I rode a VFR a couple of weekends ago, and I went faster and felt much more comfortable doing it, too. He has Pirelli tires, on the VFR, but I have never heard anything about them.

SMR = Saturday or Sunday Morning Ride:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Re: Question...

xert said:
Do they make different Dunlop 207's? Mine suck on my ZX6 very unpredictable when they break loose. Might be my suspension needing to be dialed to my riding style, but still, I've almost put it down 3 times now due to front end plowing at very low speeds.

I used the old Metzler Comp K's, guess this dates me, and loved them. Stuck hard even in the rain. I've never swapped brands front/back either "they" say it's not a good thing to do. Not sure who "they" are though.

Oh well,
Burt
burt, it's probably profile. i tried mez1's on my f2. i loved the rear, but the profile didn't work with my f2. i don't know if i should've tired raising the forks in the triples or what. i dumped the tire pressure in the front and replaced with the much cheaper d207's.

this is one of the reasons it's hard to recommend tires for bikes i've never ridden with that kind of tire on it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Slow4, I changed back & forth between a 120/70 & a 120/60 several times on my old ZX11, and this is what I noticed:
The lower profile tire quickened the steering response, but it increased the tendency of the bike to push the front end when driven hard into a turn.
Tony, assuming your pressure is in a good range, it sounds like your front end is too "soft", either not enough spring preload, or not enough compression damping. Another possibility is that the back end is too high, though I think the only way that this would happen on your model bike is through the installation of an incorrect damper. Set your sag, and if the problem persists, increase your comp. damping.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Dunlop 204s 2 years ago on my F2 and they were all around good tires.
Pilot sports on my 900SS. they stick really well. Very slick when the tires are cold though. I really like them, lately I do a good amount of highway commuting and they wear away around 4000 miles down the center.
For the record I am staying with the Metzlers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts