Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had their front brake lock up while trying to do a stoppie?

I've been trying lately, but not hard enough cuz i'm afraid of the front brake locking.

What exactly causes a brake to lock anyways?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i am by no means a stoppie expert......but the only time my front has locked up was when I hit the front brake really hard and fast at speed. You know how when youre coasting to a stop and you hit the brake hard and you can do a lil stoppie........well one time i tried hitting it hard at about 40.....the front chirped and went sideways and i almost lost it. Got to ease on the front brake some......load the forks a little then crank down harder on the brake.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Tire pressure and temp. Those are the two most important factors. If the tire is cold, it's gonna slide and if the pressure is too high or too low, same thing.

They only other thing I can offer is that you should gradually apply the brake.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
chris_y2k_r1 said:
Tire pressure and temp. Those are the two most important factors. If the tire is cold, it's gonna slide and if the pressure is too high or too low, same thing.

They only other thing I can offer is that you should gradually apply the brake.
and when learning them, it helps to get your ass off the seat. if you "stab" the lever it's more likely to slide. but if you weight the front-end with the brakes and grab harder and harder it's not as likely.

btw, front-wheel lock-up is easy to control. just let go of the brake. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't lock your elbows and apply the brake smoothly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts