Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my rant du jour :finger:

So the last few days I'm out riding...when you ride you need to fill your tank. I almost always pay at the pump with my debit card. So I'm looking at my online bank statement and low and behold... you get charged each time you insert your card into the gas pump island. I show a charge of $1 each time I use the pay at the pump feature. There is no debit or credit feature on those things. Whey the eff is it using debit by default and charging me for it. It may not seem like a lot of cash. But if you add all that up, all the times I top off because I'm at a gas station or topping off for the eff of it. For instance, I usually top off at the gas station before I go home for the day. Then the bike is put away with a full tank when I'm ready to ride it next. There are days that I use the pay at the pump feature 5-6 times. Saturday for example I filled up 5 times. So these charges coupled with exhorbanent gas prices seem to me a bit ridiculous.

In the past I have tired using like Mobil speed pass. Great idea, but you can only use the speedpass like twice in a 24 hour period. It is a safety feature that they will not bend on. This was a few years ago. The distances I ride and the places I go, who knows what gas station is near. So getting a store specific card is ridiculous. I don't have any charge cards...don't need them. Looks like I have to get a credit card, use it only for fuel, then pay that effer off at the end of the month. I need another monthly bill like I need a hole in my head. :finger:

Makes me wonder who is giving to me harder...the damn banks or the dam oil companies.

My rant is done. Please continue with your regularly scheduled post whorring. :D
 

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
Joined
·
6,322 Posts
I would question your bank on that Doc... I used my debit card religously till I got a world perks visa (love those free flights) and I NEVER got charged to a fee to use it at a pump :(

Maybe changing your checking account to another checking program or changing to another bank is the answer instead of getting a credit card...

Also if it's just because they process it as a debit .. chose the credit key instead of debit on the pump....???

See aren't you glad you didn't have to pay at the pump Sat now :twofinger

xoxo
E.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DreamRyder said:
I would question your bank on that Doc... I used my debit card religously till I got a world perks visa (love those free flights) and I NEVER got charged to a fee to use it at a pump :(

Maybe changing your checking account to another checking program or changing to another bank is the answer instead of getting a credit card...

Also if it's just because they process it as a debit .. chose the credit key instead of debit on the pump....???

See aren't you glad you didn't have to pay at the pump Sat now :twofinger

xoxo
E.
I use LaSalle Bank (formally Standard Federal Bank), they're huge; not like a small time bank or credit union (wherein may lie the problem). There is no credit/debit option on pay at the pump. If I'm not mistaken the World Perks is a credit card through US BANK, my corporate credit cards are World Perks. I've also called LaSalle Bank and inquired. They are saying because it is being used as a debit transaction, I get charged. That is my point...why is it defaulted as a debit transaction with no choice of credit? If it is a credit transaction there is no extra charge above the original purchase amount, according to LaSalle Bank.

LOL...that lack of pay at the pump stuff is kind of funny. We as city slickers are so used to it.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Huntington charges me a fee if I pay with debit, BUT, if I use it as Visa, no charges... I found this out after $20 in charges..
 

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
Joined
·
6,322 Posts
DocThee said:
If I'm not mistaken the World Perks is a credit card through US BANK,

LOL...that lack of pay at the pump stuff is kind of funny. We as city slickers are so used to it.
I worded that wrong.. suppose to have meant that I never got charged a fee when using my debit card BEFORE switchin to US Bank World Perks Visa :p

I know our banks have different level of accounts to choose from where you may have fees for one transaction with one account level but not another.. this is what I meant you should ask for... see if there is another account level you can change to.. I have to pay $ 12 a year to have a debit card with the account I have currently... which now that I don't hardly ever use it seems like it's not worth it...

If we had stopped at that one Gas station where the WOS boys & Desmo did to split off - they have Pay at the Pump there ;) ofcourse that's cuz they are at the end of the richest street in the thumb LMAO.... waterfront property on Sand Point :rolleyes:

E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
I use Charter One and I HAVE to use my card as a credit card instead of a debit otherwise they will hit me for a dollar fee. Not a big deal. I use it for everything and when I insert it, it tends to ask debit/credit and I just choose credit. I use my card exclusively for gas...who wants to walk in and pay in cash if you can swipe and be gone?

Justin
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok...just spoke with an actual LaSalle Bank rep, not the answering service. The $1 transaction that shows is a transaction amount that assures that the card works. Once the charge of the amount of purchase comes through, that $1 charge goes away and does not post. Historically as I look on my online banking statement, this holds true. There is actually no postings for $1 or a dollar larger than my purchase. My bad. So...I take that back...banks aren't so bad.:D
 

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
Joined
·
6,322 Posts
DocThee said:
Ok...just spoke with an actual LaSalle Bank rep, not the answering service. The $1 transaction that shows is a transaction amount that assures that the card works. Once the charge of the amount of purchase comes through, that $1 charge goes away and does not post. Historically as I look on my online banking statement, this holds true. There is actually no postings for $1 or a dollar larger than my purchase. My bad. So...I take that back...banks aren't so bad.:D
:loser: ... :p .... what are we gonna do with you... I swear :D

E.
 

·
S370HSSV 0773H
Joined
·
7,434 Posts
DocThee said:
...banks aren't so bad.:D
Yes they are, they just generally aren't so obvious about how they screw you out of your money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,447 Posts
A couple of service stations here having started charging a fee for paying with your credit card. They get charged about a 2% fee per transaction by the banks and are starting passing that on to motorists.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top