Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, buddy of mine low sided his bike about a week ago. He's fine. Just some scraps and bruises. He said he hit some sand but I think it was more of a cold tire issue while going around a turn too fast.

Reminder to all you newer folks, cold tires don't have the grip warm ones do. And, during this Winter, it'll be more of an issue.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I assume that after about 10 mins of easy riding that most tires are up to the right temperature right?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
How true PLUS the cold pavement is NOT helping much either, to you never know when you might hit a minor bit of BLACK ICE, or a bit of sand as Vipes thinks it might be, or touch some leaves only to find they are like grease.

It is a real BUMMER when you go down in one of the last days of the season & that has happened to me on two occasions when comming from work. Also with them being sportbikes------well took much longer to correct the errors & naturally I did not ride till the late Spring of the next year.

·
Registered
892 Posts
providing that there is no ice or anything once the tires are warm shouldnt they stick slightly better?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Meat_Shield said:
providing that there is no ice or anything once the tires are warm shouldnt they stick slightly better?
Well, that's kind of the point. But you have to consider ambient temperature, because if it's 50 outside, it seems to take tires longer to get sticky, and unless it's just me they never seem to be quite as tacky as when it's 90-95.

And besides ice, look out for gravel near the center and shoulder of lanes, sand, oil slicks (intersections), and remember that when it starts raining, the first 20-30 minutes is the most treacherous.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
snakesht said:
unless it's just me they never seem to be quite as tacky as when it's 90-95
Its not you, that's a fact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts