Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I'm planning on several more track days this year and I'm considering installing frame sliders. I'm not thrilled with the idea of cutting my body panels for the installation and before I proceed I would like know if anyone has installed these. Also, if you have had the unfortunate experience of going down with sliders, did they significantly reduce the damage.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Maybe its different for Ducatis, but depending on what brand you get, you don`t have to cut your fairings. Theres no holes that weren`t there from the factory on my GSXR, and it has sliders.:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
frame sliders are one of the first things that i plan on putting on my 750 sport. i will have to cut the fairing to do it though. :(
im not to excited about that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
replacements

Hi,

All 748/916/996 etc frame slider sets I have seen all involve the fairing being cut. I would recommend just getting a set of replacement fairings (just the sides will do) and take off the originals and keep em very safe. You won't feel so bad about cutting fibreglass....

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Re: replacements

Chumley said:
Hi,

All 748/916/996 etc frame slider sets I have seen all involve the fairing being cut. I would recommend just getting a set of replacement fairings (just the sides will do) and take off the originals and keep em very safe. You won't feel so bad about cutting fibreglass....
Word.

If you are going to the track, you plastics need not look pretty. That is a GREAT suggetion. You could pick up a pair of plastics for $300-500. PM me for more details on the frame slider issue.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Kneeslider951 said:
I have a question. I'm planning on several more track days this year and I'm considering installing frame sliders. I'm not thrilled with the idea of cutting my body panels for the installation and before I proceed I would like know if anyone has installed these. Also, if you have had the unfortunate experience of going down with sliders, did they significantly reduce the damage.
I think I have some post get-off pics of my bike with frame sliders...after seeing them, you will run out TODAY and install them! If your gonna put your baby in harms way at the track, they are a MUST!!!! Bodywork still a little scuffed, but it saved my shifter, clutch lever etc, so I could continue and my day wasn't abruptly ended.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had the R&G style 'slider's on my 748R.

My experience of them is to not bother. Ducati's of the 748/916/996/998 family crash pretty well (in a 'low-side' crash that is). If you have a strengthened clutch cover and water pump cover then you have to be pretty unlucky to do a real load of damage.

Most of the 'sliders' as you call them stateside, made for Ducati's involve replacing the main engine moutning bolt with an aftermarked item that the sliders attach to or clamping brackets around the trellis frame.

In both cases, these items make the trellis frame the main support area for the sliders and thus the main focal point for any impacts following an 'off'.

In my 'off' during a trackday last year on the 748 and my friend's off on his 916RS during a race, both our bikes slid on their sides across the track surface. On most tracks, the edge of the asphalt surface on bends is surrounded by 1/2-2 inch raised kerbing.

It doesn't take an Einstein to imagine whats the first thing that hits this kerb when your bikes scraping across the surface on it's sliders (mounted directly to the trellis frame as they are).

In both our cases, the slider was wrenched sideways and this bent the replacement engine bolt which has nowhere to go. Taking the stress of this impact is the frame lug that the engine bolt passes through. In both our cases this lug was bent/elongated by the bolts tryign to move sideways.

This required that the bikes were stripped and the frames jigged and the damaged lugs cut out and replaced.

Think what may have happend had the bike been airbourne and landed on it's side from 18 inches in the air straight on the slider.

In my view and based on my experience, I'd rather face replacing a set of $200 track bodywork than a $2000 frame.

Here's some pics of the design I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts