Sportbike World banner

Fox news vs. CNN

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  vigis 
#1 ·
Is it me or is this left vs right news agency a new thing? Is it a good thing for their to be so-called professional news agencies reporting news in which they push their views on the public? I myself watch CNN, its not that I always agree its just that FOX seems really one sided and although entertaining its too one-sided for me. I just wonder if it is a good thing I know people that will not watch CNN becasue they do not believe the news on the station. Its freakin crazy we are all Americans and should get untainted news. WTF is going on in this country?

#2 ·
I can't watch fox news. It just seems like they try so hard to push their views on their audience. I also watch CNN just because it seems like the most reputable of the bunch.

#3 · (Edited)
The best news for straight info is public television, McNeill/Lehrer, and the interview shows they have like Charlie Rose. Not nearly as many ads either.

Visit the C-Spans, too. Their scheduling, because it's often done on the fly, is very unpredictable but they do have some really good stuff fairly often. You can get whole hearings, think tank seminars, book reviews and author interviews, etc. No ads either.

CNN is OK most of the time, some of the shows. For basic news, Arron Brown does an OK summary of the day's big events. I like some of Lou Dobbs' shows but the ads get real old real quick. He sometimes has some interesting topics and guests but they never get to get into deep enough. Not enough time. For twenty minutes of news you have to watch ten minutes of ads. At least it seems that way.

Fox is not news but a 24 hour right wing editorial. Unfortunately, they sell their bullshit to a lot of folks without giving the full story. I've watched them report on senate hearings where I watched the whole thing on C-Span, then heard their reporting of it. You wouldn't know it was the same event. I not only think that sucks but I also think they are lacking in the morality that they so like to claim exclusive rights to. Twisting a story to an agenda, but selling it as a fully balanced news report instead of an editorial, is a slam on the journalism profession and I feel it is morally wrong. It's twisted, edited reporting, delivered in a venomous style, with smugness, and hate speech. And twenty-four hours of that shit, even if they admitted what it was, is too much. The way they deliver it, it's easy to see how folks who don't know better buy into their crap. They've been sold a bill of goods and don't even know it because they never took the time to learn the whole story. Unfortunately, some of them buy it hook, line, and sinker, and then vote accordingly.:( If that's all I knew about some of the topics, I'd probably vote that way too.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm suprised that it even comes up! None of the broadcast news tell the whole truth. That 'liberal media' **** isnt true. If you enjoy more truth in your news you should be checking the internet. places like http://www.guerrillanews.com/ Odds are you'll call it 'left wing BS' unless you read it it and compare it to the world around you. It will suprise you once you start putting 2 and 2 together.
If you rely on the popular news media for your info you dont get the whole story.
They are for profit entities, thus $ motivate their decisions. Fast, graphic and shocking sell.

#5 ·
Been a big CNN watcher since the first Gulf War, when I was prime drafting age. Now I browse the 'Net, with particular interest in foreign news services. This way I can get the actual facts by comparing all the articles on a subject.

#7 ·
With a full time job and 4 kids at home, I hardly watch any TV, and most of the commercial stations make me want to throw up as it is. For the above reason, I don't have cable/satellite at home. I get practically all of my news info from NPR during my 40 minute commute. Is it on the liberal side of the spectrum? Probably so. Does the 10 minutes of listening to Glenn Beck balance it out? Probably not. Most stories on NPR are very detailed, so I place more faith in them than anything I can find on so called news casts at night.

#9 ·
Second for NPR.

Just a thought that I've had, nothing scientific. Has anybody ever considered that, if there's any truth to it, maybe the reason news reporters tend to have a "liberal" bias is because their job affords them the in depth knowledge of the issues which brings them to that conclusion?

#10 ·
Dad said:
Second for NPR.

Just a thought that I've had, nothing scientific. Has anybody ever considered that, if there's any truth to it, maybe the reason news reporters tend to have a "liberal" bias is because their job affords them the in depth knowledge of the issues which brings them to that conclusion?
Couldn't that same defense be used for the "one-sided" "right wing editorial" that is Fox? I honestly don't know as I don't watch them. I'm just curious if this is an argument that either side could use. :dunno:

To be honest, I really don't watch many (read: any) of the news stations (kinda hard to with no tv :) ). The news I get is almost all online (some radio) and I've found the best thing to do is get the info from as many sources as you can and then make up your own mind. :2cents:

#11 ·
Dad said:
Second for NPR.

Great way of putting it. Always believe the man on the ground.

#12 ·
Dad said:
Second for NPR.
Third. Didn't mention them by name, but with 2 hours commute a day, its a good source, regardless of the liberal-leaning claims.

#13 · (Edited)
spicersh said:
Couldn't that same defense be used for the "one-sided" "right wing editorial" that is Fox? I honestly don't know as I don't watch them. I'm just curious if this is an argument that either side could use. :dunno:
I was neither trying to defend nor to argue, just voicing an observation.

I am referring to the general consensus that a majority, not all, of news people are accused of having a liberal bias. It's the right wing that's always so quick to point that out and I'm inclined to believe that myself but have no real proof of that, just a sense from watching and reading for years. Assuming that's at all true, I'm also inclined to reach what is to me, the next logical conclusion that, as I said, it's their deeper knowledge of issues, if only because it's their job to know, that leads them to that end. I don't think it's the newsroom water or the journalists' gene pool.;)

These are just feelings that I'm satisfied with from my own observations but don't have any direct proof for. I was just wondering out loud if anybody else had thought about that in that way.

#14 ·
Dad said:
I was neither trying to defend nor to argue, just voicing an observation.

I am referring to the general consensus that a majority, not all, of news people are accused of having a liberal bias. It's the right wing that's always so quick to point that out and I'm inclined to believe that myself but have no real proof of that, just a sense from watching and reading for years. Assuming that's at all true, I'm also inclined to reach what is to me, the next logical conclusion that, as I said, it's their deeper knowledge of issues, if only because it's their job to know, that leads them to that end. I don't think it's the newsroom water or the journalists' gene pool.;)

These are just feelings that I'm satisfied with from my own observations but don't have any direct proof for. I was just wondering out loud if anybody else had thought about that in that way.
I wasn't trying to attack your observation, just pointing out that it could be used by either side. :)

The only argument I might have against it being correct would be that just because it's their job to know the facts doesn't mean they don't put their own spin on them or report them in a way that fits their agenda. It's just human nature. That's why both sides complain about the media bias. I've seen liberals accuse the media of having a conservative bias also, though not as often as it going the other way.

The media's bias, IMHO, depends greatly on your own politics. If you don't like what the media has to say then of course you're going to say it has a bias in the opposite direction to validate your own beliefs. On the rare occasions that I do catch the tv news I really try not to think in terms of politics and just listen to what they say. If it's something that interests me then I'll look into it further and make up my own mind about it. I just happen to end up siding more to the right than the left, but for the most part I try to stay in the middle.

#15 ·
For those of you saying that the news media is liberal you're wrong. Even NPR isnt. If you take a look just at other countries news sources you'll find how much is being left out of the news. I'm not liberal, conservative or anything in between but I do believe that the 'news media' is a bunch of BS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.