Sportbike World banner

What level of instruction have you received?

• at least one MSF course

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • at least one track school

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • friends / family

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • non-MSF class that wasn't required for the license

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
My bike mechanics tought me how to ride.:)

I've been riding for going on 4 years, and I think I may take teh MSF course this summer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Been lurking around for about a year, I took the MSF about 10 months before i got a bike.

I have to say that smitty and a few other wise riders here convinced me.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Smitty is like the Yoda of the boards. He is very old, and very wise.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I can't wait to Take the MSF course. I'm very intrested as to what it is going to teach me that I have not read on the interent. I'm diffently looking foward to the hand signals. I just wish I could take it sooner then later. I can't go on standby cause of my part time job. So I need to wait till my day. July 9th is the first day.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm not really that worried, but since you're talking about it...for anyone who's taken it, will I be at a disadvantage since I've no prior bike-riding experience? From what I've read on the forum it seems like it's geared towards people like me pretty much..

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Between the two threads there is no option for "just decided to buy a bike and teach myself." I guess I had some instruction from a friend and the dealer, but it was only a couple of minutes total and amounted to "You know how to drive a stick, right? That's all you really need to know."

I just kind of figured it out on my own. :dunno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have not formal training but I watched biker boyz and torque so I figure I am good:confused:
just kidding, Actually I don't have any formal training but am waiting to take the msf course then the advanced

·
Registered
386 Posts
spicersh said:
Between the two threads there is no option for "just decided to buy a bike and teach myself." I guess I had some instruction from a friend and the dealer, but it was only a couple of minutes total and amounted to "You know how to drive a stick, right? That's all you really need to know."

I just kind of figured it out on my own. :dunno:
Ditto, thanks spicersh :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Right after WWII there were no m/cist in my area, no TV, no books or mags on m/cs & we were still on some rationing or had to wait ages for some items. No my parents or any relatives were not m/cist ---- so it was all by myself with many a surprise & prang.

The god send of m/cis with foot gear change & hand clutch was a yr plus away & definately my sick '36 Harley 45 flat head was the backward type. Still learned the hard way & spent till snow started to arrive just 1/2 block away from my home in the trees & bush riding with foot clutch & hand gear change lever PLUS spring till mid-July '46 & then 16 yrs of age.

Obviously with above experience I immediately went into flat tracking & dirt hill climbing in '47 & all the rest by '48 & '49 INCLUDING riding the streets.

So mine was a slow & interesting learning curve especially as I was part-owner of a m/c shop in '48 & did a lot of work on the bikes so had to know how to ride anything that was handed to me along with its troubles. One had to be able to fire up a customers bike & take off as good if not better then them & come back after looking for that handeling problem without dropping the bike be it various foot clutches, hand clutch, left or right hand throttles to right or left hand spark adjustments on YES the twist grip, of American irons, to levers of most other makes.

Obviously no sort of MSF Course in my yrs of riding.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assumed this multiple-selection-allowed poll would allow one to not select any of the checkboxes and vote. Am I right? If so, that's the self-taught option. I already voted myself, so I'd like to ask someone who's self-taught and wishes to vote in the poll.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Alexey: Since a few of us are self-taught to heck with the polls & just put it down as we have, including yourself.

Besides most of the polls are just something a member has dreamed up & not something that means anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
inline_four said:
I assumed this multiple-selection-allowed poll would allow one to not select any of the checkboxes and vote. Am I right? If so, that's the self-taught option. I already voted myself, so I'd like to ask someone who's self-taught and wishes to vote in the poll.
I've been riding for 36 yrs taught myself @ 8yrs old (OK you smartasses yes I'm 44!) What benefit is there to taking one?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
KJ's RR said:
I've been riding for 36 yrs taught myself @ 8yrs old (OK you smartasses yes I'm 44!) What benefit is there to taking one?
While I've not taken the class, I do plan on it because I realize that there may be some small things I do incorrectly. Even if I had taken the course before I started riding I'd probably take it again from time to time just to brush up. Knowing the proper form/techniques is one thing, but using them is another. People have a tendency to get lazy over time with certain things and a refresher course may get you back doing things properly.

I don't necessarily think the MSF is required to be a good rider, but it can certainly start you out on the right path and possibly get you there more quickly. I think it is entirely possible to become a good rider without it though, if the right attitude and a little common sense is used. :2cents:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
spicersh said:

I don't necessarily think the MSF is required to be a good rider, but it can certainly start you out on the right path and possibly get you there more quickly. I think it is entirely possible to become a good rider without it though, if the right attitude and a little common sense is used. :2cents:
That's true, but......

I'm agreeing with Scott and giving my story as support. Smitty's much the same.

When I started there was no MSF and no riding technique books like Code's and others. No family or friends that rode either. If there had been, the learning curve would have been DRAMATICALLY shortened and several of the early spills I had might have been totally avoided. I don't know that because my memory of them tends to be like so many others. "That there was NOTHING I could do." ;) While there's truth to that, nothing I could do, it doesn't mean that there was nothing that could be done. For those times that it was knowledge or judgement based, it might have saved me the trouble.

What I didn't need to learn the hard way was the importance of gear. I used that from day one and is the ONLY reason (+ luck) that I don't have any scars to show for a TON of riding.

I come to this conclusion logically based on history. I ride both faster and harder at times, as well as slower and more cautious at other times, and haven't had a bike down in nearly thirty years of thirty-five, riding about 20,000 miles a year. I can only attribute that to acquired knowledge and skill that would have been much nicer to learn through education instead of soley through experience. I'll bet at least a few of my spills could have been avoided entirely with knowledge alone. The rest probably were experience related, something that ONLY seat time will accomplish, but education may have helped with that too, knowing what technique to strive for instead of learning it totally hit or miss. While education will never replace experience for some things, it can help a ton.:thumb: JMO

·
Registered
62 Posts
I taught myself how to ride from reading some of the books MSF published. I already knew how to have basic control over my bike about a month after I got it when I took the MSF course. Then I continued to teach myself by reading Total Control and watched the Twist of the Wrist video. I also learned from guys I ride with at the same time. Then last week I took the Team Promotion Trackday PLUS class and got my race certification.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts