Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is changing fork seals a do-it-yourself job or should it be left to the "pros" at the shop?

I can save 125.00 by doing it myself.

It just started leaking a little the other day,and I can wipe off about 3-4 drops worth after each ride. but I have to ride to work, and back. I've been trying not to get on the brakes too hard to minimize front end dive. Am I going to F something else up by riding it this week until payday?

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"I have a few good reasons for drinking, and one has just entered my head...... If a man can't drink when he's living, how the hell can he drink when he's dead?"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I did it myself on my wife's YZF600R. It kind of goes along with replacing the inner tubes that were bent in a crash. ;)

I did use a factory service manual and from your previous post it sounds like it would be a good investment for you. :) Of course you about have that thing fully refurbished. :rolleyes:

Replacing the seals is much easier than replacing tubes so you should be able to handle it. :) BTW, I did this back before I had ever worked on the superbike/Formula Xtreme bike forks. It was my virgin trip into fork maintenance. :) There are some special tools needed, such as a seal driver. I made mine out of PVC pipe pieces. It doesn't take alot of force so the PVC worked great. :cool:

Make sure you have a clean place to work though.

Good luck.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am beyond the point of no return :(

------------------
Dave FZR1

"I have a few good reasons for drinking, and one has just entered my head...... If a man can't drink when he's living, how the hell can he drink when he's dead?"

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh yeah, how much does this cost at the shop? :confused:

------------------
I'm thinking of something orange, something orange... Give up? It's an orange! -UHF

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Methinks I need new fork seals, too! How could this have happened... :rolleyes:

------------------
I'm thinking of something orange, something orange... Give up? It's an orange! -UHF

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fork seals are definately "do-able". Gotta have the shop manual to know the ins/outs and the proper torque when you put 'er back together. MAKE SURE that when you put it all back together you are VERY careful with the new seals. Even a very slight tear on the re-assembly can go unnoticed and you won't know until you go riding and the sucker starts to leak again. :mad: I've heard one tip is to put a piece of plastic wrap over the end of the fork tube before you slide the forks back together. Also - (and you may already know this - do BOTH forks. Don't try to save the money by only doing one side. Lastly - now that you have the forks apart you may get a chance to play around with which fork oil / weight to use to get a different (better) feel. Good luck. We're confident you can do this. :D

------------------
...I don't want a pickle
I just wanna ride my motor - sickle...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O.K. I'm convinced I can take on this challenge. The service manual will be here Friday (thank god it wasn't on Backorder) The seals are ordered and will also be here on Friday.

Do I have to completely disassemble the entire front end to change them? The guy at the shop said it should only take a couple hours, but if I gotta pull the whole front end, it seems like more than a couple hours.

How would you recommend supporting the bike while removing everything? I don't have front or rear stands. :(

------------------
Dave FZR1

·
Registered
987 Posts
I agree with the others. You can definitely do it yourself, but get a manual first. Here's something else that you and everyone else will want to do - check the swept area of your tubes for small, sharp-edged dents. These usually happen when you're riding at high speeds behind other bikes, and they throw up rocks. If you replace your seals without removing these burrs, I can guarantee you that you will become an expert in fork disassembly. The way to find these dents is by taking your fingernail and dragging them along the tubes, both up & down and across the entire area. Those of you who bite your nails can use a pair of pantyhose or stockings. if you feel the slightest edge, take a point file (about $1 at Autozone) and file away the burr. Also check your tubes about once a week or so for bug splatter. Wipe off any you find. Lastly, about once a month, take a few drops of fork oil & put it on the swept area of the forks. This helps to lube the top of the seal.
Burrs are probably the #1 cause of seal failure, with drying close behind. A little maintenance will allow you to get 40k or more out of a set of seals.................

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Leon,

Good advice on checking for burrs. :)

Note to Yamaha riders,

The pantyhose should be off your body before using them to check for burrs. :p :D

Sorry that last one was too easy. ;)

Everyone should get a laugh out of this. :rolleyes: I supported my wife's YZF by a winch from the rafters in my garage. The rear(of the bike) was on a stand. This worked pretty well. Good luck.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Check out http://www.howto.com and it will show you!!! I would have done it, but I don't have a bike stand. It cost me about $135 here, but our shops are way over priced.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have used my rearstand and a hydraulic jack. put a piece of wood on jack and place under header. It won't hurt the pipe unless you have a thin ti pipe. If you take offf tank the front end will be lighter, and more stable on stand and jack. Or I've seen people use the tree in their front yard to take out the motor of their car. Maybe you could do something similar :)

Trevor

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Milk crates!

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RCjohn:
:rolleyes: I supported my wife's YZF by a winch from the rafters in my garage. The rear(of the bike) was on a stand. This worked pretty well. Good luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, what's a YZF, is that some kind of sex toy or just another word for ass :D :D ?

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good ideas, but I don't have a rear stand, jack, milk crates, or center stand. I need to start fillng my new garage with stuff. Too poor. :(

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iowazx6r:
Good ideas, but I don't have a rear stand, jack, milk crates, or center stand. I need to start fillng my new garage with stuff. Too poor. :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that your website that you have the link to? If so, I'm sure you could take that over to one of your neighbors and they'd be more than happy to let you use whatever you want. I like the Barret models myself http://www.clickstudio.com/barrettmilitary/images/brad.jpg :D

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run that web page for Mr. Watson. In return he lets me play with his guns and put something onto my resume! Plus, I got to borrow one plus 50 rounds of ammo for two weeks!!! That was fun. If only I could put it onto the 6R and take it to the range.

Our weapon = $1500
Barrett = $7000 :(

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts