Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ride in polo shirts and khaki's (racing leathers, yea... mm hmm... ), yea.. i got a crazy farmers tan today, i rode from 6am til now (3pm), with a 30 min break with the girlfriend for lunch, and i'm about to head back out, even though my arms are killing me - so far my biggest motivation for leathers has been to keep my arms from getting burned, but screw it - they're tanning now... anyone else have this malfunction? =P

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I wish I had a leather jacket. I am just scared of some rash if I go down. I can just think of a lot more things to spend $300 on than a jacket. I have seen some people who spend over a grand on a suit and stuff. Soon enough I will end up getting some. I want to do a track day.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
I know $300 is a lot to spend. But the question you need to ask yourself is......

How much is my skin worth?

P.S. You can at least buy a good mesh jacket for only $99 at http://www.fieldsheer.com (order online at http://www.fieldsheeronline.com)

Disclaimer: I am the CTO for Fieldsheer, but would recommend Fieldsheer's products even if I didn't work for them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
i used to always wear shorts and cut off shirts, while riding, getting the funny looking farmers tan, now you should see my arms and legs when i get tan, it looks even funnier because of all the deep road rash scars that wont tan, one on my left leg is 13 inches long and about 3 inches across(huge) same for my left arm, both hands, both shoulders and various places on my back and right leg. damn man, at least wear a jacket or something, theres nothing like laying in the street with what you were wearing torn off, or cut off by the paramedics. with whats left of your boxers covering up your goods, people all around staring. not being able to get up or move because your pelvis is fractured so bad along with your shoulder and broke collerbone. not saying this will all happen to you, i hope it dont, but i didn't think it would happen to me either. I was only doing about 50mph and flipped over a 2nd gear wheelie. since then i've crashed a few more times, a lot harder and faster, but with less injuries thanks to leather(at least a jacket)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Everyone talks like that until they go down and get some roadrash. Just think of the wire brush treatment. *shudder*

To quote a good friend of mine, road rash = BAD

·
Registered
866 Posts
I went down and had a jacket on, my right hand got rash on it, it such and still doesn't feel right, I bought a nice pair of gloves now, not biker gloves because I need to save up for them, but nice thick leather gloves

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sorry, never had this problem. Always wear a helmet, armored jacket, armored gloves, boots, and at least jeans...every time I ride...whether it's 40 or 100 degrees. I do admit that when I was a young goof 20 years ago I wore shorts and t-shirts. Man, that was not the smartest choice. :D

That being said, there are so many gear options these days (for all types of weather) and some of it's fairly inexpensive, there's no reason not to be wearing it. Unless you look good without skin.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
elo said:
Everyone talks like that until they go down and get some roadrash. Just think of the wire brush treatment. *shudder*

To quote a good friend of mine, road rash = BAD
Yep, I feel sorry for this guy :(

I thought someone posted that skin has an abrasion resistance of like 4" or something???

I've had roadrash from skateboards that I wanted to die from the pain!! :crying:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just going to reiterate what's been said..... I put off getting my jacket and gloves for a while.... and soon after I got them, I went down in a corner at about 70. Trust me.... 300 might seem high now, but.... I'd have gladly paid twice that to have that protection. No rash... just one broken clavicle. It's worth it bro'

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
KneeDragger98ZX said:
.... and soon after I got them, I went down in a corner at about 70.

Even though crashing sucks, Is'nt it cool when you stop slidding, get up and realize that NO skin is even scuffed!!?
Oh YA! It feels good to make the right decision once in awhile!! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Really, what does it take. I don't advocate that everyone should wear protective gear. I simply state it from the matter of fact, and that is, if you ride motorcycle, chances are 99 percent probable that you will hit the pavement in some point in your life. Yeah, yeah, everyone thinks they are the most safest rider, and that's cool. But what about the cagers who always claim they never saw you? :mad: You better check your six, bro.

So, you think $300 bucks is too expensive to save your skin? Another cliché statement I'm sure everyone have heard it before and that is, "Can you really put a price on your safety?":rolleyes:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Robert said:

How much is my skin worth?

Not that I don't agree that you should wear appropriate gear just out of common sense (occasionally I skimp, and I do worry about it, but I PERSONALLY cannot justify 15 minutes of dressing up to ride 10 minutes away only to change again into shorts and tennis shoes only to do the reverse an hour later), the "How much is your (insert appendage here) worth" is getting to be quite a cliche.

So are you saying, because I hold my head as priceless I should take out a $100,000,000.00 life insurance policy, fake my own death, take the money and buy a hundred-million dollar helmet?

Gross exaggeration? Yes. However, I think the "How much..." argument has been beaten to death. If your body is worth so much, don't ride, blow your dough on a reinforced bunker and pad the inside so you won't hurt yourself, and live the rest of your days in a merciful drug-induced coma. Safely.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Labor day 1986 & the picture posted by DeputyDog is a good representation of how I looked after a fairly low speed (40+mph)lowside. I can't really recall everything about the accident but I sure remember the agony of healing from the road rash & other injuries. I'm not claiming that I always gear up perfectly in the hot weather but I usually throw on my leather jacket & will always have boots & gloves on.
The new titanium air jacket looks like it could take a good smackdown so I'm going to order one for hot weather & swap between my leather jacket & my Frank Thomas in cooler weather.

·
Registered
379 Posts
duessel said:
I wish I had a leather jacket. I am just scared of some rash if I go down. I can just think of a lot more things to spend $300 on than a jacket. I have seen some people who spend over a grand on a suit and stuff. Soon enough I will end up getting some. I want to do a track day.
I went down in a 60-70mph low side in June. Prior to that i wore my JR Phoenix jacket; and the DAY of my wreck, I had just bought a nice Teknic jacket for $320.

I only suffered two broken bones in my hand a some strained muscled in my back.

So you can think of better things to spend $300 on...? Well, had it not been for my insurance through Sprint:

4 Mile Ambulance Ride: $597 (not including neck brace as a precaution, oxygen mask, sticky electrode things etc). This is just to Ride in the damn ambulance. Total ride: $873.00

1 1/2 Hour ER Visit: $4759.00 (took some X-rays and basically layed on a backboard by myself for an hour before someone came in and asked "How ya doin"? What a joke)

3 Trips to the Bone and Joint Clinic to get 3 Different splints in 4 weeks; total time I actually spoke with the bone Dr after all 3 visits...around 14 minutes.
Total $$ for the bone Dr: $2743.00

So, just imagine going to the ER with the same ailments and throw in a little road rash. Add some nice scarring and about five times as many visits to doctors......I can't believe you actually said "I can think of a lot better things to spend $300 on". After a nice exposure to road rash, you can bet your ass you'll wish you had bought a jacket rather than an X-Box.

have fun with your road rash after you go down. b/c unless you're the exception to the law of averages....you will go down. If you can't afford gear, then maybe you should consider building a Fast and the Furious car. Personally, I bought my gear a year before I was ready to buy so I wouldn't have to spend a bunch of $$ on gear whent I actually got the bike. Perhaps you should evelaute your priorities. I hate to sound like an ass, but you're buying a $5-10K on a new/used bike and you're having difficulty justifying a $300 jacket? amazing.

Robert's signature on his posts say it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
always wear protection you should

I went down when I was 17 I'm 39 now I still show the scars it
was very painful when they took a wire bursh to my arm jeans
and a jacket is the best way to go you can get a cheap mesh jacket like johnny rockets protection is the key

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: always wear protection you should

roguebiker1 said:
I went down when I was 17 I'm 39 now I still show the scars it
was very painful when they took a wire bursh to my arm jeans
and a jacket is the best way to go you can get a cheap mesh jacket like johnny rockets protection is the key
johnny rockets is a restaurant, i think you mean joe rocket

1 - 18 of 18 Posts