Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my Katana....

I had ridden cruisers for a couple of years, and when I wanted to make the switch to sportbikes, I asked around. And though the Katana was a 600cc bike, it was very forgiving of mistakes and is widely considered a "learner bike". In addition, it is "big enough" and "long enough"...I don't feel as if I'm riding a toy.

As a new sportbike rider...I only know enough to know I'm not ready for something like a Hayabusa! Thanks for all the advice from all who have freely given it...see you on the road!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
its interesting that he used 600 cc as the benchmark. I totally agree with what he is saying but what he has to concede is that they dont make a smaller cc sportbike. What are you going to buy a gs500? ninja 250? Instead of that bad ass 636.. its only 60 dollars more a month.. I started on a canatuna just like Truth and it wasnt too much bike. I dont think a modern cbr600rr is comparable though. The only way around this is for manufactures to make an entry level 600 but the facts show us that they will not sell. They are not the coolest. they still make the katana and you can get a yzf 600f. Those bikes are still a lot faster than my 92 katana but they are not big sellers. Im not sure what my point is other than I dont think we should say dont get a 600, just say, start with something that isnt made to be the cutting edge of sportbike technology. Im not sure why kids are buying new anyway. I guess they have too much money. My first 3 bikes were used. If you are going to learn on something, why do it on a $ 9500 r6? but than again, Mommy never bought me a brand new beamer when I turned 16 either.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
GPZRider said:
Did you get the Mercedes instead?:D
hater hater hater!

AND JUST FOR THE RECORD, I DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN!

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
DocThee said:
I know the season is nearing an end
WHAT! no it isn't! i refuse! i refuse! despite the fact that I live in Boston, i *refuse* to admit that fall / and so-called "winter" are coming. i'm just gonna 'bundle up' and ride *ALL*WINTER*LONG*!!!!

i defy mother nature, that cunt!

i hate the C-word,
-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my own view on beginner riders, because i am one. I bought my first this summer. I was looking at my buddies riding around on these 900s and r1s and wanted to go out and buy a new one. I would of too unless my buddy told me to first buy a beater that if i dropped i wouldnt care. So i bought his 2nd bike. A 1990 honda hurricane cbr 600... a beat up bike with camo all over it. Well i wasnt familar with the weight and when i was coming to stop in my driveway i dropped it. At that point i understood why i bought it. With all the plastic off the side already, all i did was mark up the mirror and clutch a little (on this bike you couldnt even tell). After riding this season i have learned a lot. I know if i would have went out and bought a new bike, i would have been overwhelmed with all the power. And now my buddies who want to buy a bike who have never riden before....i tell them the same thing... buy one you can afford to learn on and drop.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Squirrelmaster3 said:
***... So i bought his 2nd bike. A 1990 honda hurricane cbr 600... a beat up bike with camo all over it. ***
LMAO... JT you sell this fella your old beater bike :twofinger can't be two idiots out there willing to do that to their rides ;)

E.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
DreamRyder said:
LMAO... JT you sell this fella your old beater bike :twofinger can't be two idiots out there willing to do that to their rides ;)

E.
Hey, be nice. I liked the Camo. Yes, as a matter of fact, I did sell him my 600. he happens to be related to someone that I am very close to. I didnt want to see him die on a bigger bike just starting off either.

sorry truth. I actually did not know this. it was a cheap shot. Katana's are great. they come in all sorts of pretty colors:twofinger

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
Over_Dose said:
Hey, be nice. I liked the Camo. ***
I was bein nice ;) I luv camo as much as the next hunter :p

E.

·
Registered
354 Posts
CruiserErik said:
It's still a can-o-tuna:laughing:

J/p:cool:

But a good looking can of Tuna!!!;)

Seriously though, I am a fairly new rider, and my kids have no intention of losing me through my own stupidity and inexperience. The bike suits my experience and competency level... I agree with most of everything said on the post... and even through the good natured ribbing, you guys have given me great advice on both my bike and how to ride it...and have never made me feel like "a new rider"... I have no embarrassment about pulling up to ride with a "learner bike", and would be far more embarrassed had I gone with a shiny new GSXR 750 or 1000 and wrecked the thing my first season out.

I agree with Chuck on one point though...a Ninja 250 is the first bike I test rode, and I think I felt more afraid on that thing than any other bike I've ever ridden.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts