Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this article tonight....

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/03NewsHEAD02120305.htm

You'll have to copy and paste the address, sorry I'm computer illiterate.

Basically, a guy in FL was sentenced to 30 years in prison for evading a cop who was killed in the pursuit. The worst thing is, it sounds like the cop never even got close enough for the biker to see him - the case hinged on the testimony of a witnesses who said the biker "looked over his shoulder" after he flew past the speed trap. I think that's total Bullshit. :finger:

The biker was a gulf war veteran with a family, had never been convicted of a crime in his life. I know it sucks the cop was killed, but it was due to a blown tire, it didn't directly relate to chasing the motorcycle - cops drive fast all the time, not just when they're chasing bikers, so it's part of the hazard of being on the road.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
...He confessed that he had accelerated to 100 mph when he saw the trooper on the side of the interstate...
He took off after he saw the cop. He knew full well that he was going to be chased.

I think 30yrs is excessive, but he certainly deserves some jail time.:2cents:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thats the biggest load of crap. 30 years in jai! It makes me mad that the U.S. legal system is so stupid in terms that the accident was the riders fault. Sure he made a bad decission, but he didnt kill anyone.

A stupid analogy is like, if a teacher gave a student a super hard final exam, and the student had a brain aneurism and died because of it. Ohh no.. give the teacher 500years in jail.!:finger:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the sentence had been:

6 months - understandable since there was an officer killed.

1 year - a little harsh

5 years - holy crap that's BS

30 years - WTF??!!!! :eek: :eek: :hurl: :hurl: :barf2: :barf2:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

That is an excessive sentence. Rapists and murderers typically receive shorter sentences. Bear in mind this comes from one of the most hardcore conservatives on this forum.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
god damn! sounds more like a revenge sentence then justice. Sure he was breakin the law and should be punished for causing a trooper's life, but he wasn't directly connected to his death. Just coincedence that it happened while he was chasing (that and it was the trooper's fault after compromising his tire when he hit I believe a medium or something). I know a guy who was convicted of vehicular manslaughter and got 7 years to jail. I don't remember if he was a DWI or not. But 30 years is a very very long time. I would have given him a min of 1 years and max of 5.

I can say this though, I've been stopped three times so far in the past 6 months. 2 of the 3 times was for speeding and I didn't know I was being chased until the cop came up beside of me and passed me. Once I knew that cops where after me, I slowed down and pulled over.

Chasing bikes is dangerous and unpredictable. Just this past summer, a rider was caught going 125mph+ on the hwy and was chased by a helicopter because he was going too fast for cars. That was a smart decision on our police's part up here, but in FL, the should have radioed it in and gotten a helicopter up or closer cars. That camero was going the opposite way. Last year, a cop on a harley was chasing a sports bike and crashed when he hit a road debris (a ladder that fell off a truck) and died. Should the biker or the person responsible for the ladder be charged for the death? I'm not sure if they caught the biker or the ladder owner. But shit happens and blaming other people for it is the (I guess) the american mentality.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
WTF?

I've been seeing bits about this case, and apparently the trooper violated the persuit policy. The PD got around this by saying that persuit doesnt begin untill the trooper catches up with the vehicle. Well if there was no persuit, than the guy didnt run. Damn, you cant have it both ways.
The policy is there for a reason, to protect that officers life. He chose to ignore it, and died. Michelin (or whomever made the tires) is more responcible for this crash than the biker.

·
Registered
48 Posts
"The police officer has the ability to call off the persuit and radio ahead at any time. I say it is entirely on the officers' shoulders."

ZX6R1033 is absolutely correct, my dad was a cop and i know for a fact that the officer can call off a chase whenever he feels it is to dangerous to continue. it should have been in no way a 30 year sentance.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I decieded to read your guy's comments before reading the article. Well now I really don't want to read it at all. I don't watch the news for this reason. Theres so much bullshit going on I couldn't take it anymore. 30 years for a blown tire? Remember the old saying "15 will get you 20" now we have a new one "a blown tire will get you 30" So you can rape, rob, and mame, but just don't run from the police.

This is sick...:finger:

-M-

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sentence is extremely excessive. I hope he is given the ability to get shock probabtion, I dont know about FL law on that one.

I had a cop in my riding group when i lived in KY and they were told explictly that if a guy on a sportbike runs do not chase him, you cant catch them and more then likely someone will get hurt.

I hate to talk bad about someone who died in the line of duty, but he did go overboard during the chase. Even at the speed his tires are rated for he couldnt catch the bike.

This just sucks and you know his relative that is now in law enforcement is going to have a chip on there shoulder.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The whole "Dont speak ill of the dead" thing is getting out of control. The officer made a mistake. It doesnt make him a bad guy, or negates any of his accomplishments, but it doesnt make the biker guilty of murder.

I mean according to this logic, if a cop on an overpass notices that you have a taillight thats out, and decided to drive off the bridge to catch you, you would be held responcible. What kind of crap is that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
This was actually discussed in depth on another bike forum.

Basically the only reason he got 30 years was because they charged him with felony murder.

How it works is you commit a felony (evading for example) and anything that happens as a result (even an indirect one) becomes the person committing the felony's fault.

So because he was committing a felony (even thats pretty hazy), the fact that the cop died, even though not directly the bikers fault, gets tagged on as murder.

Pretty stupid huh?

Some of the specifics were pretty interesting too. I beleive the cop was chasing in a Camaro. He saw the biker racing a porshe going the other way, and jumped the curb. Tires on the Camaro weren't what I would call reliable after jumping a curb. Anyway after that he proceeded to speed up and his tire blew causing him to lose control, and crash, and die. They caught the biker 30 mins later, and never caught the guy driving the car.

Of course the biker should not have been speeding, but a lapse of judgement on the cops part in numerous aspects is what ultimatly landed him in a body bag.

Don't you just love how the legal system can be stacked against you? :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Here is one m/cist that has never tried to skip away from the police. As ZX6R1033 states the police have the ability to radio ahead & it happened to me when the RCMP felt I was doing around 140mph on a little Honda CB400F yet was doing around 65mph, only the RCMP behind had blowen their engine (sixth in that year & it was only April) due to putting the throttle foot almost through the floor. Obviously a Squid in the RCMP hwy patrol group.

Even my last ticked was my an RCMP m/c cop on an old Kwacker 1000 & I was on my Honda 939 PLUS,he was heading in the other direction-----------I pulled over knowing who was the rider & the hate he has had on me for the past 6 or 9 yrs (why I do not know) & knew even if I did get away & I could have with such ease he would find my m/c license plate in "records" & I would be sent said fine in the mail.

Also Blue Jays came out with a good post though we, as Cdns, do not understand the laws of the USA.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nalius is right. The arguement is that the cop would not have been going that fast in the first place if it wasn't for the biker and his decision to run. Biker runs, cop dies as a result, bikers fault.

30years seems really excessive though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mean according to this logic, if a cop on an overpass notices that you have a taillight thats out, and decided to drive off the bridge to catch you, you would be held responcible. What kind of crap is that?
Not to disrespect the seriousness of this topic, but

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: That's pretty funny when
you picture it in your head - like something out of Super Troopers.

I think there's some pretty complicated legal BS going on here, but I bet a better defense attourney could have managed to keep the sentence a little lighter. To me it seems like a misapplication of the legal term "felony murder." It makes more sense if there's a robber who fires a gun in the air in a bank, then a customer dies of a heart attack -

As opposed to a situation like this, which is basically the same as someone throwing a brick through a store window (which if valued over $400 is a felony BTW), then someone drunk off their ass slips on the glass shards and dies as a result.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Rundog said:
We as Americans, do not understand the laws of the USA......
HAHA, so damn funny if it wasn't so damn true. Don't get me started on tax laws.

I think Florida is just getting out of hand. Damn old folks and stupid people there. They were the state that had 2 recounts of a presidental vote and still couldn't count. Not to disrespect florida. Although Bush's bro does run it so thats saying something right there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
30 years, wasn't that what Senator Janklow got for running over and killing that biker? Oh wait, that was 30 days...not years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts