Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering upgrading to the super bright headlight bulbs. Do these things run much hotter than stock. Am I setting myself up for a charging and or heat / melting problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
you should be careful to not go too high in wattage. I had dual 100 watt bulbbs on my cbr and they worked fine until i went on a long trip. the wires going to the headlights melted and sometimes when i flip from high to low the lights go out and come back after i toggle the switch. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I took the bulbs out and still went higher than stock but not that much

·
Registered
250 Posts
2 things:
1-They're not true HID setups. HID setups come with the light and a ballast, much like flourescents. The bulbs you use to simply replace OEM are usualy Xenon. Whiter and brighter but nothing like HID. Just FYI.
2- Never put use a bulb thats rated with a higher wattage than the socket. It will draw more current which causes more heat which can cause problems. Not just in the headlight case but in the wiring as well. Usually not a problem but when there is, fixing it is a son of a son of a beach.

·
Registered
196 Posts
In mt F2 I had run a 80/100w for about 8 years no probs. I had 100w in my XX for 4 years, no probs. The HID setups actually run cooler so they are not a problem. Remember, its just arc lighting, not a burning filament.

·
Registered
645 Posts
vigis said:
2 things:
1-They're not true HID setups. HID setups come with the light and a ballast, much like flourescents. The bulbs you use to simply replace OEM are usualy Xenon. Whiter and brighter but nothing like HID. Just FYI.
do they make HID for bikes?... I haven't seen them... I'll I've found was the Xenon lights... and yeah they're NOTHING like HID... If they do make them where can ya get them?.... I'm not a huge fan of Ebay but depends on the price...

:cheers:

~B~

·
Registered
250 Posts
Be careful on Ebay. Headlights are setup for the OEM bulb size. HID setups are a totally different animal thus just sticking one in can actually make your view area less.
As for cost, pretty expensive. I know a true HID setup for cars runs in the thousands. Thats why you dont see too many aftermarket.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ebbs15 said:
do they make HID for bikes?... I haven't seen them... I'll I've found was the Xenon lights... and yeah they're NOTHING like HID... If they do make them where can ya get them?.... I'm not a huge fan of Ebay but depends on the price...

:cheers:

~B~
www.tricktape.com has them

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts