Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm still looking for a bike, just can't find a loan, anyway I came across a fj 1100 for $1000, it says in good condition, from the side it looks like a sporty little bike, does anyone have an opinion on it, I may be looking to drag later, but for now its just a street cruiser for work, thanks

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
should do both commuting and drag racing just nicely

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone have any info on these bikes, like what type of engine/tranny, reliability issues, upgrades available, performance specs? what bikes does it compare to, does it handle well at all, could it be a track bike, or just a drag bike? thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
hey guys, I'm still looking for a bike, just can't find a loan, anyway I came across a fj 1100 for $1000, it says in good condition, from the side it looks like a sporty little bike, does anyone have an opinion on it, I may be looking to drag later, but for now its just a street cruiser for work, thanks
I dunno that I'd call a 571-lb bike with 100ish rwhp that runs quarters in 10.99 @ 122.34 a "sporty little bike". ;)

They do have a rep for being bulletproof, are fairly common in the dragbike scene, and handle okay for such an humongous barge of a sportbike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My first bike was a FJ 600. I liked the bike alot, but on a few hundred miles and them 3 months later got hit in an intersection. I then bought the bike back from the insurance company and sold it to my buddy for a song, and bought a Katana. We put alot of miles on over the next year and half and never had a problem. He later got picked up for DUI and the impound truck dropped it off the back and bent up the frame. I wished I never sold him it. I wouldn't mind having another. There's my opionion. I know it's not the 1100 story you were looking for, but still there all good bikes.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does it really run a 10.99, wow thats quick in my book, I'm a cager right now so if I run a 15 I'm happy, well peoplefirst.com just turned me down for a loan, they were my last resort, this suck cause I actually have really good credit. but unless you have perfect credit no place will look at you. so no bike for me, I'm about to give up, unless someone gets real nice and gives me one I doubt I'll ever end up a squid :(

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Try second-hand or 'used' book stores & look into the m/c mag section of that yr for often all the info is there on a test.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I tried a search on the net, found lots of info on the fj 1200 so I will deal with it, but if you look at my earlier post I'm giving up, I can't even afford a $1000 bike, I could pay $100-125 a month but no one will finance me, and my credit is not bad at all, thats it I'm done, I'm just going to go buy a moped :( :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused:
what should I do, where can I go

·
Registered
113 Posts
One thing that might be the problem is the size of your loan. Most banks won't make loans for what they consider "toys." Like dirt-bikes, watercraft, and i imagine a $1k motorcycle. Try bumping the loan up to 5-10k then see what happens. Turn around and pay off the max amount per month you can with the remaining money from the loan.

.02 cents

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tried, to get a loan for first $3500 then $7500, now there are to many inquires on my credit to get any other loans. this sucks balls, anyone want to lend me $1000, I'll pay it back inside of a year I promise.:( :( :( :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wish I'd known...

I just sold my '81 GPz550 for $350. It needed a fork seal, and something noisy had happened in the bottom half of the motor, but I doubt it would've taken more than $400-$500 to get it running fine. :(

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you try for a $1000-1500 credit card? Yeah high interest rate but in actual $$ paid, what $150-200 a year as opposed to maybe $100 on a personal loan?

The FJ's were great bikes. They were actually sold as a sportsbike in the 1980's, and they started the perimeter frame concept. Their 16inch wheels can be a hassle finding tyres, and being air cooled they burn a little more oil, but gee they are genuinely quick solo, or with pillion and 20kg of luggage.

Watch for dodgy starter motors, and guys that refurbish them with a gloss black spray cans :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
actually, go for a vacation loan at your bank (seriously). the only thing not mentioned about the big fj's, 5 speed gearbox.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as far as the credit cards go, I can't get one with more then a $1000 limit, and then theres only a $500 cash limit, so thats done. and loans I can't get, I even tried a garenteed no fail bad credit loan, and they denied me. my credit is not bad, my score is 677, and I have only one 30 day delinquent payment, and my balances on my 2 cards are low. I just need to save up and buy it out right, its going to take me like 10 years though. this sucks balls.:crying: :crying: :crying: :( :( :( :crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Man, if you've got a 677 credit score, you shouldn't be getting turned down for a small loan, or a credit card with a $1500 dollar limit or so. There's something else going on with your credit if that's the case.

One thing I noticed, is you said you have 2 cards but both have small balances. Try taking those and combining them, then closing out one card. Banks look at the TOTAL AMOUNT that you COULD spend on a credit card as being the amount owed on that card. For instance, if you only have a $50 balance on a $5,000 card, the bank views that as being $5,000 in debt, because that is the amount of debt that you could instantly get into.

Transfer one of the card balances to the other, then close one card. It should free up a little bit of credit. What you should do, is transfer the money onto the card that you have the best record with, then call them and see about getting your limit raised. If you've got a good record with them, they will probably raise it for you.

But, personally, I would check into your credit a little bit. With a 677, you should be able to buy ALOT of bike.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thats the plan chief, now I'm closing out one card and doing a balance transfer to my discover, but together the total I could be in debt would still only be $1500 if both were maxxed out. now I've got 3 new inquires on my credit report, I'm sunk. just shoot me and put me out of my missery

1 - 20 of 26 Posts