Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
actually, on the reliability front, they are fairly bullet-proof.

be careful of any bike (especially fzr's) that doesn't start immediately, and and of factory pro jet kits. if it is a factory configuration 10 or 30, it's okay, but avood ti needles in the little fizzer.

i'd imagine the regulators in the 600 suck too. but all the 400 guys say they are inter-changable and at $35 or so, don't worry about that. just be careful, i paid 68 for mine, some dealers just don't care.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've read a lot of reviews on the Fizzer 600 that said it was a good starter bike. Is this true? Also, is it a reliable bike?

Thanks.
ZeroMan.

One more thing, why did Yamaha stop producing the FZR - is the YZF-600R suppose to be taking its place?

------------------

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't think sportbikes are good starter bikes in general, but since there are people buying r1 starter bikes, i guess the fzr600 ain't that bad.

is it reliable, for the most part.

i don't know why yamaha canned it

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The funny thing is, when the FZR600 was new, ten years ago, people would say, "Sure, it's only a 600, but it's a pretty hard-core sportbike, and it'll get you in trouble pretty quick if you're not careful!" You know, kind of like exactly what they say about the R6 now!

So, of course, by today's standards it's a fairly modest sportbike. Yes, you can start out on one, but like any other bike, you have to respect your own limits, and the bike's capabilities.

Reliability? The FZR's are pretty bulletproof. So don't worry about that.

------------------
I'm not joking. And don't call me Shirley.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great bike but the Seca II or the EX 500 would be a better bike to learn on for a few years. "The bike" won't make you a better rider. Only traning, skill level, and practice, will do it. Learning to maximize the potential of the lower powered bike you start on will make you a better, faster and safer rider. Have fun and don't worry about posing for awhile.

------------------

·
Registered
77 Posts
The bottom line here is how much are you gonna pay for your fizzer? If you can get it really cheap $1500-$2500 ok it's not a bad deal because the bike has already depreciated. But when you pay cheap prices you get shit quality bike. Who knows how the previous owner took care of it? Otherwise you option is to save approx $5K and buy a R6, your not going to take tooo bad a hit on depreciation and the R6 is a relatively new bike with new technology.

------------------
"There may be many like my R1 but there is only 1"

www.weaselracingR1.homestead.com

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AZ Scott:
The funny thing is, when the FZR600 was new, ten years ago, people would say, "Sure, it's only a 600, but it's a pretty hard-core sportbike, and it'll get you in trouble pretty quick if you're not careful!" You know, kind of like exactly what they say about the R6 now!

So, of course, by today's standards it's a fairly modest sportbike. Yes, you can start out on one, but like any other bike, you have to respect your own limits, and the bike's capabilities.

Reliability? The FZR's are pretty bulletproof. So don't worry about that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to get a 99 FZR600 for my first bike (used barely) and have no regrets. The seat height, reliability, and insurance costs were large factors at the time. It's comfy, stable, tame when I want it to be, fast when I need it to be, etc. etc.

Great starter bike, I say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts