1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Kinda neat. I like the angular exhaust, and the LED taillights (though at first, the reflection made it look like there was a small part of the strand out of place).

What's up with the roof though?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I see... Will be interesting to see how cost-effective those panels are.

On another note, am I the only one who finds the dash repulsive?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The comments in the second link hit on that note too. Personally, I dont find it that bad, but I'm not in love with it either. It reminds me of star trek, "warp speed, number one" sorta shit. As for the solar panels, if they are like other cars I've seen with that concept they probably help keep the car cool while parked, and maybe do a tiny bit to recharge the batteries. They are unlikely to do much good, but hey, its nice to step into a car and not burn yourself on the seat on a summer day.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Yeah, but I think that my $75 window tint does just as good of a job as anything. Not that I'm knocking it, it just seems that for as long as solar power has been around, you'd think they could have made it a little bit more efficient. But I guess the same would have to be said for gas, coal, etc. And I don't want to get started on that for fear that the keyboard ninja might be watching this thread.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are some on-off prototype of solar panels that his some impressive efficiencies, at least in comparison to what is available now, but they are a ways from mass production. Even if they were mass produced, we are still talking about at most quadrupling the output of current models, which is not nearly enough to run the car. To the window tint comment, its the difference between tinting the car, and leaving the AC running while the car is parked.

This car carries a $80k price tag, which is enough to keep it out of the hands of most, and more dissapointingly, wont be available till 2011. Still its nice to see a hybrid one would actually want to be seen in.

With ferrari releasing a e85 version of one of its cars, it safe to say the momentum in alternative fuel/hybrid car manufacturing is building.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
No doubt the current trend is leaning toward hybrid/alternative power. And concepts such as this, the chevy volt, etc., they will draw more of a crowd than the prius and others currently on the road.

The second link you posted said that they will be in heavy production by the end of 2009, not 2011.

I bet if I showed my dad the picture with 2 golf bags in the trunk he'd seriously consider it.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
To the window tint comment, its the difference between tinting the car, and leaving the AC running while the car is parked.
So the engine is running as well? I see some overheating issues.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm doing some guesswork here, so dont quote me on it. I think the models either have a small electric ac system, or the main system is electric instead of mechanically driven, and can operate on some low energy mode.

2009 would certainly be more impressive. Now if only the price tag was closer to $30k... Wonder how much the price tag would drop if they could ramp up production to some real numbers instead of the whole 15k cars a year.

There is no telling where the current trend is going, except that its going. Both hybrid and e85 technologies are a gamble, hydrogen even more so. Seems to me the idea is to jump start the technologies with subsidies and clever marketing so that manufacturing problems can be solved, and hope that someone comes up with the breakthrus necessary to make them competetive. Hybrids need better batteries (or capacitors), and if those can be developed, maybe we can do away with the gasoline engine all together. In the meantime we can get some knowledge about how to make semi electric cars in mass, and what happens to them when they crash.
For E85 to be really usefull, it needs to be run exclusivly instead of the flex fuel method. In exclusive mode, the compression ratio can be jacked way up, delievering descent power out of the engine. But that requires an infustructure to fuel the cars, so flex fuel provides incentive to build an infastructure.

Some guy (zurbin i think) had the idea that US should pass a mandate, requiring every car sold in the states be flex fuel compatable. The price increase to the car will be very modest (he says $100 a vehicle, but lets say $1000) and US being the worlds biggest car market will quickly put a ton of flex fuel vehicles out there. With that big of a market infastructure would form quickly, and even if flex fuel mode, it would isolate the consumer from price spikes (What? A hurricane in the blah blah and gas is expensive? Guess I'm filling up with e85 this week), not to mention allow manufacturers to go to all e85 vehicles.

Either way, I like the idea of gambling on multiple technologies, instead of putting all our eggs in one basket

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I'm a bit leery of the electric-only idea. If you decide to make a couple extra stops while you're out running around in your gas/hybrid, you can just stop and fill up if needed. With just a battery, you're kind of limited with what you can do. And how long will it take to recharge them?

I like the idea of hydrogen power. I think that we are relatively close to making that one a reality. And I agree with you, we should be pursuing a few different alternatives, instead of banking on one "sure thing."

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the electric only idea, i think it would work great, if we can get the ultra-mega-super capacitors going (whatever they want to call them) capacitors charge instantly, the only limitation being how much current you can push down the wire. So recharging a capacitor powered vehicle would take no longer that filling up a tank, and the infastructure is already in place. There was recently a break thru in lithium ion batteries that uses some nano technology to drastically improve both capacities and recharge times, but again, this is all in prototype form.

I think hydrogen is the worst of all the options. Here is why.
1. There is no free hydrogen in the enviroment, so hydrogen is not a fuel source, its an energy carrier (much like the batteries and in reality, ethanol)
2. As an energy carrier, its a very low density. It takes a shit load of hydrogen to carry as much energy as you can in gas.
3. In order to hold this hydrogen somewhere, it needs to be compressed. The compression process in itself takes a shit load more energy. I mean imagine if half the cost of gasoline went to powering the pump that sucked it out of a underground tank and into your gas tank, thats in addition to the cost of the gas you are pumping.
4. Compressed hydrogen is also relativly dangerous. I think this problem can be overcome, but its still a problem. Especially if you consider that some redneck is going to be tinkering with his car, that has 2 10,000 psi hydrogen tanks on it.
5. There is still the whole infastructure problem.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I hadn't dug that deep into hydrogen power to realize all those problems with it. You're making me look like an idiot at every turn, and it's becoming quite discouraging.

I think I'll stick with my diesel for now. It gets better actual mileage than many hybrids, and if the need arises, I can convert it to run on vegetable oil. Then it'll smell like a fryer on wheels.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, bud, No insult was meant in any of it :cheers:

Diesel engine are really a great idea, and I wonder why they were overtaken by gas in the first place. They get better milage, last longer than gas. Their biggest flaw is that they are not as responsive, which is something that can be fixed with forced induction, or some kind of hybrid tech.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Vash said:
Hey, bud, No insult was meant in any of it :cheers:

Diesel engine are really a great idea, and I wonder why they were overtaken by gas in the first place. They get better milage, last longer than gas. Their biggest flaw is that they are not as responsive, which is something that can be fixed with forced induction, or some kind of hybrid tech.
Don't worry, I don't take it as an insult. I've learned a lot from your various posts regarding technology, etc. I should become more informed before joining in on a topic like this one, but it's a slow day at work so I had to find something to keep me occupied.

In the diesel vs gas area, it all depends on the application. If you want reliability, and low-end power, diesels can't be beaten. But when it comes to screaming power, it's hard to beat a good old-fashioned gas engine. However, as they are discovering (and you posted in the OT thread), diesels are finding their way into the racing arena, and having much success as well.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good old Popular Mechanics being one of the magazines my father supplied me as he put a halt to me reading any of the comic books back when I was 7 or 8 yrs old. Fact is after that I appreciated what my father purchased & had NO interest in normal comic books.

Still in my area this modern car sort of reminds me of so many magazines that felt the Studebaker was such a strange vehicle or design right after WWII.

Also 80,000.00 is out of my pocket book range even more so as it would be closer to 90,000.00 or more in Cdn. Besides in my area a 4X4 or all wheel drive is more important along with decent sized wheels/tyres due to the LONG winter months with so much snow & ice in this area being the middle of the Cdn Rockies for it is lucky to find even you driveway to be level.

As for the dash----terrible as are so many of the dashes these days as I am & always have been dead set against black background & white numbers FEELING it should be the very opposit & scratch to modern looks for something easy to read or see. SAFETY is a must in cages for the driver or passenger does not want to be a victim to the sharp parts inside the cage.

Also I am against all the modern electronical things when things can be done by hand such as shifting, cranking the windown down of back up, to opening the door & so much more. Screw all the electronical optionals to even the so called radio to built in telephone to maping system & such BUT make those OPTIONAL items at an extra cost if someone feel they are a MUST.

Makes me think of a Mazda 4X4 truck I bought & was pissed off with the idea that the horn (something I only use when first obtained & about to sell ---only to see if it works OR possibly once or twice I own the vehicle & TRUE as I only used it once in the 15 yrs of owning it, only it did not work for it was NOT in the center of the steering head, but one two of the struts of said steering wheel), yet my '06 Mazda Forester has said horm button in the middle of the steering wheel (must have been enough complaints to other makers that they cought on to making the horn in the center). Sometimes one has to wonder about these modern days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts