Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was finally cooperating in Wisconsin. I went for a nice little jaunt on the R6. I pulled up to stop lights and was behind a rider on an older Goldwing. I noticed the rider of the Goldwing looking in his mirror at me and shaking his head. This pissed me off so I let my Yoshi pipe bark a little and then I noticed the rider really shaking his head. I pulled right next to him and asked if he had a problem. After a few threatening words I was in the process of letting my bike down on its stand and the Goldwing rider took off. I just want to know why so many people hate sportbikes? I am not some young punk ripping up and down the street. I am 28 yrs old and ride in full gear and very respectfully on the street, but why must we as sportbike riders be hated upon by other motorcyclists. We all love being two wheels, so why the hate? Has anyone else experienced a situation like this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Check this out

I put my thread under Customization but I should have put it under daily rider. Check it out "First Ride"

·
Registered
227 Posts
He was shaking his head because he couldn't figure out where the cupholder was on your bike. Don't let that douchebag bother you. Let that Dairy-Queen loving, Lay-Z-Boy driving, ass clown go fuck himself.

I haven't had any problems. Being in a small riding community we all basically know each other.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I think he wanted to get some reaction out of you. It's the leathers that gets them :D. But, "After a few threatening words I was in the process of letting my bike down on its stand and the Goldwing rider took off " - in doing so , you contributed to the stereotypical - "I am not some young punk ripping up and down the street." If an altercation took place and police arrived, everyone would be pointing the finger at you, not nice to spend a day jail for aggravated assault in a public place.

It's best not to respond and fly past him. Who gives a damn, it's like high school shit, "you called me gay, I gotta kick ya ass $%^@$.

Do not mean to condescend, it's just an observation based on what you said. It's good that you didn't get into a fight, you don't know who's packing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Look at the bright side!

Hi bigdog22-

It could have played like this if luck wasn't with you that day...

"...The Goldwing pilot with a Bluetooth-compatible cellular phone was gesturing with excitement during a recent conversation with his stockbroker...when all of a sudden a violent sportbike rider approached looking for a fight.

Having just retired from the police force after 22 years on the street, the officer drew his customized .357 Magnum revolver and killed the attacker on the spot. After an investigation, it was ruled a justified shooting based on eyewitness accounts from numerous bystanders..."

The moral of the story is don't sweat what others are doing on the road and try to keep a smile on your face.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The only jerks I usually get are the locals in there rusted rice rockets. Most of the people around here that are on two wheels seem to be considerate to one anouther. My approach to almost any other rider is to give a little hand wave, ya know first impressions are the most important. And hey, if they act like an ass after you wave, your hand is already visible when you flick up that finger:twofinger

Sepias

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Threads merged and moved. :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Maybe he had a bug in his ear. I shake my head when I have a bug in my ear.

Getting in to a fight over something this trivial is dumb. Just let it go and ride on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yea man, fighting = bad things...you never know how psyco the other person is..best to just be the better person and ride on...

·
Registered
329 Posts
The key is to not let others affect you, if he is sitting there getting bent out of shape because of the bike someone else enjoys riding, he doesnt have the first clue about having a passion for bikes to begin with, and will never enjoy the freedom and enjoyment of this sport. Thats his problem, let him go on miserably about his business. I learned the hard way a few years ago about letting others bother me, I think ive posted this before, but here it is again. I was in florida riding with traffic, when out of nowhere a small izuzu pickup truck passes me in the ditch and then cuts back out in front of me, nearly running me over, as we are approaching a stop light, the truck is in the left lane to turn left, and I am in the right lane going straight through the light, as I go by him I give him the finger to express my anger in his actions. I go through the light thinking nothing else of it and then I see this truck passing me in the oncoming lane of traffic(one lane each way at this point), running people off the road. As soon as he gets ahead of me he locks his brakes up and slides the truck sideways right in front of me, jumps out and charges me, im at a stop and dont even have time to get of my bike and fight, so i just goosed it and hit him almost straight on, he hit the right side/front of my bike and me, and he goes down, I shot across the oncoming traffic and over the curb up onto the sidewalk, and stop my bike(didnt crash somehow). He gets up gets in his truck and takes off, i then go to my friends house and take of my jacket/backpack and see a perfect slice across the wide strap of my pack. I believe this dude tried to knife me, and I was very lucky. This was the last time i ever reacted to someone elses stupidity, its not worth it, period.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The weather was finally cooperating in Wisconsin. I went for a nice little jaunt on the Goldwing. I pulled up to stop lights and was in front of a rider on an R6. I found myself daydreaming about my old Triumph Bonneville, and had to shake my head to clear it out and get my focus again. Then the R6 rider let his loud pipe bark a little, and I remembered the shorty straight pipes I had on that old Bonneville. Those were the days, all right. Sure, I agree with the AMA's viewpoint that loud pipes are risking the rights of all riders, but a little bit of me still likes to hear a bike rev up. Once again I had to shake my head to get my focus. Then the R6 rider rode right next to me and asked me if I had a problem. After a few threatening words he was in the process of letting his bike down on its stand and I just took off. I just want to know why so many people hate Goldwings? I am not some old guy parking it in every corner. I am 48 years old and ride in a full Aerostich and very respectfully on the street, but why must we as Goldwing riders be hated upon by other motorcyclists. We all love being two wheels, so why the hate? Has anyone else experienced a situation like this?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
From day one & that means back in 1946, I have not given a darn what other riders might think of my bike or myself. So it is simply ignore the the others & do not make an arse of yourself in possibly showing off or feeling you should be cockey & give some hand signals or yell at them or whatever. By ignoring them & riding along as you always would THAT will tell the other or others that you do not give a darn.

If you are to thin-skinned then I guess there is nothing I can suggest to you for right now what I have typed could be angering you.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
It seems to me that it takes a certain kind of personality, somewhat aggressive, to be interested in riding sportbikes. Unfortunately it's that same personality trait that causes most of our problems. Ya gotta know when to reign in the beast. Attack the streets, not other riders. :2cents:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Shasta, you got too much time on your hands... LMAO!

Is it just me or did eveyone post the same damn thing.

"Dude, just chill out man, let it go, peace and harmony dude. Uh, dude."

A soccer mom in a mini van about hit me the other night and at that instant I thought about pulling that bitch out of her car and giving her a spanking in front of her 5 kids. --But dude I was like, shit man, just take a chill pill dude.--

Anyway the guy was on a GOLDWING. Next time tell him "training wheels" are for 3 year old little girls. "Sir your goldwing smells like shit!" -- "Sorry son, just need to change out my depends."

-M-

·
Registered
27 Posts
shasta mcnasty
Your post was right on.

bigdog22 said:
......I pulled right next to him and asked if he had a problem. After a few threatening words I was in the process of letting my bike down on its stand and the Goldwing rider took off. I just want to know why so many people hate sportbikes? I am not some young punk ripping up and down the street.
Listen to yourself. You ARE some young punk that wants to fight for no good reason.

Amazing how many are saying: "Wooow, don't fight you might get hurt." Instead of saying: "What's up with you? You want to fight because you think some other biker doesn't like your bike. That's disturbed, pal."

And that's how I see it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Re: First rider of year

clutchslip said:
shasta mcnasty
Your post was right on.

Listen to yourself. You ARE some young punk that wants to fight for no good reason.

Amazing how many are saying: "Wooow, don't fight you might get hurt." Instead of saying: "What's up with you? You want to fight because you think some other biker doesn't like your bike. That's disturbed, pal."

And that's how I see it.

I don't necessarily agree with this because of a couple of things. For one, some people anger quite easily. If I was in bigdog's position and a guy did that to me, I would of been pissed. The only thing holding me back from not doing anything would me thinking of the bad outcomes. But if someone acts like an ass just because you're riding a sportbike, than I can't blame him for saying something to the guy.

You could be right though, he could of taken it too far when not needed but I know the anger that can surge up in the heat of the moment.

I live in a pretty nice area, lots of riders, tons of cars. I always wave to every rider, whether it's a scooter or harley or sportbike or whatever. I almost always initiate the wave because I'm so eager to wave to a guy that shares the same passion for riding as I do. Not all riders wave, but most of them will. My uncle is one of those guys, he doesn't wave to anyone, not even harleys(which he rides) unless he knows them. He just gives off that bad-ass aura and that he doesn't need to wave hahaha. I have yet to experianced any dislike from other riders and if I have I just haven't noticed it. I think most of the riders out there realize passion we share, but there are always dicks.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Ya he coulda just reached in to his glove compartment pulled out his .45 and shot yur ass! You never know. Its best to keep a cool head and go on. By acting like a squid you only help to re-enforce the stereotype, just as he was re-enforcing his..

·
Registered
980 Posts
I had some dude I work with go off on me yesterday because I told him I saw him driving. I work for schwans food company, and I was riding with my first group ride, we had 9 sportbikes in all, and I pass a schwans truck so I wave. Next day I tell him, hes like oh, you were in that group of jappi crappers? who was weaving? I was like all of us probably, we do that do warm up the tires (don't know if that works or not, but we do it anyway), hes like WHY, SO YOU CAN DO WHEELIES?! im like i dont know how to do a wheelie yet, then he proceedes to tell me some stupid story about some guy weaving and loosing control and dying, then about some guy pulling a wheelie by his minivan and he could have fallen off and the bike could have kill his daughter, bla bla bla. I just walked away. I agree doing stunts around other vehicles is stupid, and promotes a bad image, but going off on me just because I was riding a sportbike is retarted. On the note of my first group ride, I was kinda intimidated by being around more experienced riders, but when we stopped for a break, I was pleased to find that everysingle one of them was cool, and just wanted to laugh and have a good time. Not a single ego-maniac asshole.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts