Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this was not a production motorcycle for the masses, it was a specific designed vehicle for a single purpose.

What was it used for and what was the purpose of the rear passenger? Who built it and when.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it was funny. I see that Robert has not provided a laughing smilie otherwise I would have used it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ariszr7 said:
It looks like it was used as a pace bike for the bicycles in a racetrack.

Aris
Hi Aris,

You are correct. Do you know what the purpose of the rear passenger was ??

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi Andy,

On these bikes the rider sits as far to the rear as possible in order to provide the best slip streaming for the cyclists that follow.
I guess on this one as the rider sits forward, a passenger was needed for this purpose. It looks very old, so it must be one of the first bikes specifically built for this purpose.
They are called Derny bikes, here is a pic of a really extraordinary 'Derny Bike'. It was powered by a V2 Anzani engine and it enabled Leon Vanderstuyft to set a 76mph speed record at the Montlhery circuit south of Paris in 1925.

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Aris,

Blocking the wind for the bicycle rider makes sense and that must be why later designed pacers have the rider sitting so far back. However, on this original pacer the rear passenger was there for another reason.

Andy

·
Retired Moderator
943 Posts
Hi Andy,

You were right about the engine on the picture I posted not being a V2. It's not the picture with the V2 Anzani powered bike but anotherr one :eek:

Could it be that the passenger is the coach?

I guess that the engines on these bikes grew more and more in order to allow the cyclists to attain higher and higher speeds for prolonged times. Also for the two vehicles to be very close, no gearchange is used on these bikes.
To do that a lot of torque from low revs is needed, and only large capacity can do that.
It should be noted though, that the Puch 90cc 2 stroke Derny bikes are still very popular!

Aris

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ariszr7 said:
Hi Andy,

You were right about the engine on the picture I posted not being a V2. It's not the picture with the V2 Anzani powered bike but anotherr one :eek:

Could it be that the passenger is the coach?

I guess that the engines on these bikes grew more and more in order to allow the cyclists to attain higher and higher speeds for prolonged times. Also for the two vehicles to be very close, no gearchange is used on these bikes.
To do that a lot of torque from low revs is needed, and only large capacity can do that.
It should be noted though, that the Puch 90cc 2 stroke Derny bikes are still very popular!

Aris
No the passenger was not the coach. I'll give you a serious clue... think about old race cars and why they had a passenger.

Correct regarding no transmission and the need for exact speed control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts