Sportbike World banner

First fuel injected production motorcycle

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  polychilawer 
#1 ·
What was the first fuel injected production motorcycle. Give year, make, and model.

#2 ·
Hi Andy, just came back to Germany from Greece and saw your trivia.
It's a great coincidense because we had this conversation yesterday with a friend who is one of the best in Athens (Greece) for electrical stuff on bikes and he has a GPZ1100 in front of his shop that a customer of his has abandoned. The cost was too high and the value of the bike too low :(
Of course as you can imagine I started making plans to use various parts on the ZR7!
The engine, frame, wheels, brakes are still on the bike.
Anyway I think it must be also the first fuel injected production motorcycle. I'm not sure though as the Honda CX500 Turbo might have preceded it by a few months. They were both 1981 models.

Aris

#5 ·
Hi desmo079,

You are correct if you consider a hand built motorcycle a production motorcycle. I'm not sure how many Munch's were made, but I would guess there were less than fifty.

Lets say that "production" implies hundreds of units. So the Munch is excluded.

Andy

#7 ·
bbirdxx2000 said:
:) I'll take the prize, 1980 1000 kawasaki classic:eek: did I win did I Ha:cool: :D
bbirdxx2000 I think you ve got it right!
I was trying to find it myself, but with no luck :(
I first thought it was the GPZ1100 of 1981, but the KZ1000 Classic was one year earlier!
It was Andy's trivia, so we should wait for him to verify and give you the prize :)

Aris

#8 ·
Hi bbridrxx2000,

You win. I can't beleive how little information is out there on this bike. Here is all I have.

1980 Z1000-H1 EFI
FRAME NUMBER: KZT00H-000001 >
ENGINE NUMBER: KZT00HE- 000001 >
COLOUR: EBONY
The H1 was basically an A4 MKII with electronic fuel injection or EFI for short. This was another first for Kawasaki. The black and gold bodywork was finished off with gold wheels and for the first time the front fender was painted. Some models had the Kawasaki logo printed on the side of the seat in white lettering. Power was up to 96 bhp due to the injection system. America did not get this model, instead they got the KZ1000-GI Z1 CLASSIC, which was basically a customised version not unlike the KZ1000- LTD.

Reference link: http://www.z-power.co.uk/Zhist.htm

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.